Kawasaki Brute Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at Elka Stage 3's per recommendations from other (older) posts, but I've also come to learn the (older) stage 3's had rebound adjustment?

Are stage 3's still the current reccomendation? Really having a hard time deciding if that rebound is worth the massive price increase or if at this point a different brand shock is better for the money.
  • $1687.48 for set of stage 3
  • $2,399.98 for stage 3 front, stage 4 rear.
  • $2800 flipping dollars for full set of stage 4.

I like to ride fast, and I'm mainly looking for good handling when cornering at high speeds as well as a good ride when sending it like a mad man on bumpy, rocky trails.

·
Administrator
14,493 Posts
Yes, the Elka stage-3s are still the gold standard...and yes, they no longer have a rebound adjustment as they did in my day. For an ATV that's OK but for something heavier like a SxS it's not.. in my opinion. That's the only reason I went with Bandit Suspension shocks on my SxS over Elka as they do have a rebound adjustment...and larger shafts and seals. My friend, SWBF900, just received his new set of stage-3s for his 2019 and will soon give a riding report if you can wait. He has always run the stage-3s on all his Brutes and this will be the first set without rebound adjustment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a set of Elka stage 3's on my 2014 and I love them, with ITP mud lite 2s and a emi clutch kit and a k&n air filter thing runs great got over 5,000 miles on it and I've had it out to Moab probably be a tuner and exhaust will be next

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
NO disappointment in my ELKA Stage 3's w/o the rebound adjustment, I had rebound before on my older stage 3's but I just left them set at the factory setting anyway for my riding style.
It is nice to have the Elka stage 3's back under me while riding as fast as I want to. No more nosediving in the fast tight corners, no more wandering on a rough forest service uneven roads, no more bouncing on the seat in rough sections, no more jarring to my wrist/forearms and my shoulders, complete control over washboard roads, pick a line and the Elka Stage 3 Brute holds the track till I change it.
The stocker Shocks on my 19Brute were really beating me up and just after 35 miles of riding the trails out here. My butt was sore from bouncing around on the seat, my thumb was sore because I wasn't staying put on the seat and the Brute just wouldn't hold the trail the way I felt it should of.
Now with the ELKAs installed I am in total control, it is such a nice feeling to feel the tires always in contact with the dirt under the tires, I can actually feel the Elkas doing their job of giving my Brute total control over and through any terrain you decide to tackle.
I was informed when I placed the ELKA Stage 3 order to expect an 8-10 week delivery time, mine came in at 4 weeks, very pleased with that. I ordered thru racingpowersports on Ebay, with my tax added on they were $1,803.00 delivered and came directly from Elka Suspension to my home.
Elka's install adjustment procedure I followed to the letter, I am shocked that theses Stage 3's were set up perfect, my clearance is right on to the 1/4 inch of the stock shocks, the low-speed adjustment was set on 10 clicks for the rear Elkas, no adjustment was needed out on my 1st ride yesterday. The Front Elkas were set on 12 clicks, after about 25 miles I turned them down to 9 clicks, seems a bit better for me. The Preload was set on the softer setting and are at a perfect setting for me.
Here is a pic of the rears.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
NO disappointment in my ELKA Stage 3's w/o the rebound adjustment, I had rebound before on my older stage 3's but I just left them set at the factory setting anyway for my riding style.
It is nice to have the Elka stage 3's back under me while riding as fast as I want to. No more nosediving in the fast tight corners, no more wandering on a rough forest service uneven roads, no more bouncing on the seat in rough sections, no more jarring to my wrist/forearms and my shoulders, complete control over washboard roads, pick a line and the Elka Stage 3 Brute holds the track till I change it.
The stocker Shocks on my 19Brute were really beating me up and just after 35 miles of riding the trails out here. My butt was sore from bouncing around on the seat, my thumb was sore because I wasn't staying put on the seat and the Brute just wouldn't hold the trail the way I felt it should of.
Now with the ELKAs installed I am in total control, it is such a nice feeling to feel the tires always in contact with the dirt under the tires, I can actually feel the Elkas doing their job of giving my Brute total control over and through any terrain you decide to tackle.
I was informed when I placed the ELKA Stage 3 order to expect an 8-10 week delivery time, mine came in at 4 weeks, very pleased with that. I ordered thru racingpowersports on Ebay, with my tax added on they were $1,803.00 delivered and came directly from Elka Suspension to my home.
Elka's install adjustment procedure I followed to the letter, I am shocked that theses Stage 3's were set up perfect, my clearance is right on to the 1/4 inch of the stock shocks, the low-speed adjustment was set on 10 clicks for the rear Elkas, no adjustment was needed out on my 1st ride yesterday. The Front Elkas were set on 12 clicks, after about 25 miles I turned them down to 9 clicks, seems a bit better for me. The Preload was set on the softer setting and are at a perfect setting for me.
Here is a pic of the rears. View attachment 8661
Made a different adjustment on my Stage 3 low-speed compression adjustment's. Instead of going with a lower number on the clicks, I raised the number of clicks. (30 available clicks on each shock). 1st I reset all four Elka shocks low-speed compression settings to zero, adjusted the rears to 14 clicks each, fronts to 20 clicks each-result-Perfect for the trails I am presently riding in southern Colorado/Northern New Mexico, which are more hard pack, rocky in spots and washed out sections due to the daily thunderstorms. Elevations range from 8,100ft to 10,500ft, low range 4x4 required on a few sections but mostly in 2wd High..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts