Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new cordless drill and I'm prepared to pay real money for a good one that will last a long time. I want an 18v with two batteries, quick charge time and a smart charger.

What brands do you guys like?

I was planning on getting a DeWalt, but a lot of things I'm reading online suggest their quality isn't what it used to be. The biggest problem seems to be wobbly chucks.

Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch, Panasonic, Porter Cable and Rigid all have models that rated highly at Consumer Reports. But they don't really test how well a drill holds up over time.

Right now I'm leaning toward Makita because there's a factory authorized repair shop close by.

Some of the reviews make me think I'm just as well off buying a cheap drill and replacing the whole thing when the batteries wear out.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Makita is what i have allway's had great luck with they last me longer then dewalt but they are pretty close in my opinion

·
0 Posts
Panasonic...

they are around $219 with a spare battery.

light and the battery lasts forever. (the new one, it's like 3.2 nimh or something)

My cabinet builder contractor friend has one and swears by it as do many contractors.

I've got a dewalt and the battery life isn't great. It's also heavier than the panasonic.

F

·
0 Posts
I would have to agree with the makita,I just bought a Kawasaki off of ebay for like $40.00 works real well for around the house and it's the right color:)

D

·
0 Posts
I gotta say that I beat the crap out of my dewalt drill and sawzall. Still going strong. I gotta stop getting pissed and throwing the batteries on the garage floor though!! That gets expensive.

steve-

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've got a 19.2v Craftsman, and it seems to be holding up pretty well... 2 batterys and a 1/2" chuck. used it alot cleaning up the frame on my Pred before painting.. quick charge time and smart charger too.

W

·
0 Posts
I always saw alot of De-Walt and Makita in the construction field. As for Millwauke I think they make good saw zaw's...drills I have no idea. I know PC makes good circ. saw's. again not sure about drills.

G

·
0 Posts
i worked in the car audio industry and we all used makita for over 10 years...i did buy a 9.6v dewalt once that was stroner than a 12 v makita..and bosch has a model that you can drop from a 2 story building and it's guaranteed not to break..that should last ya a while :lol:

i know it was a big help but just adds to yer decision making process

G

·
0 Posts
It really all depends on what you are going to be using it for.. I personally chose the Dewalt in my line of work because it has good torque and alot of rpm's... I use alot of holesaws to cut into sheet metal and the rpm and torque of the Dewalt is second to none..

I will say i don't like the Dewalt Hammer cordless hammer drills.. I usually use a corded on of those anyway.. Never had much luck of any brand of cordless hammer drills...

I have had my dewalt for 2 yrs and it get used alot.. I still am using the original 2 batterys that came with it.. 18v

·
Registered
48 Posts
I really like my Ryobi combo set. 18 V with two batteries. The set has a 1/2" drill, 6 1/4" curculer saw, reciprocating saw (sawzall), and a light. $169.00 at The Home Depot. I have had it for tthree years and nothing has broke. I use all the tools a lot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts