Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
05 650 sra
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new here and new to the brute force. I just picked up an 05 650 a couple weeks ago non running for cheap with supposed valve issues. I did a fair amount of reading on this forum before I even bought it and by what the old owner was telling me what going on with the bike. I had a hunch that it could have just needed a good valve adjustment and a tune up. I'll try to give a little back story of what I've done. When I first got it home it would not start. I started with checking the basics air, fuel, spark and compression even checked out OK. So I went to the valve adjustment and they were differently out. I got them in spec and everything put back together. I got it to start and run but not well. From there I did a tune up I rebuilt the carbs put new plugs in it and fresh fuel. It still was not running well and back firing through the carbs which led me to believe maybe the timing was off. Then I pulled the valve covers to check the cam timing and see if the decompression weights were stuck. Everything looked good there so I put even back together again.

This is where I'm at with it now. It fires right up with the choke on. Then once it gets some heat in it I can turn the choke off and it will idle all day long. As soon as I give it throttle I wants to die and if I hold it wide open it bogs and back fires through the carbs. The weird thing is I can turn the choke on with it warmed up and it revs up just fine and doesn't back fire but it won't idle. This to me in my little experience says it's way too lean. I've checked the fuel pump and it is putting out double the minimum the amount of fuel that is required. I've pulled the carb boots there is no cracking or holes and the where it seals to the head is in good shape. I'm at a loss. Sorry for the long post I just wanted to make sure I got everything I did covered. I have done a couple hours worth of reading forums and watching videos to get where I am now to try not to make a repeat post. Can someone please tell me what I'm missing or not doing right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
About 3 years ago I bought an 06 650 and it was running rough above idle and backfiring through the carbs. I read up on this forum and other google searches. Lots of people said adjust the valves. A couple of the responses I read said be careful and not reverse the valve settings for intake and exhaust or it will produce what you are experiencing.

So I adjusted the valves and even though I thought I was doing it right, I reversed the setting and was adjusting intake valves on the wrong mark on the flywheel. Once I got it right it ran like a top and still is 3 years later. I would suggest you go through the procedure carefullly after reading up on adjusting intake vs exhaust valves.

·
Registered
05 650 sra
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. Sorry I didn't see that someone had replied. I will definitely look into the valve adjustment again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts