Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running a set of tracks on their Brute Force? I am considering getting a set of Kimpex WS4 tracks for mine and looking for opinions on how well they do in the snow and how much they affect your speed while trail riding.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I miss the days when the Brute Force was the quad to beat and had the full support of the aftermarket instead of just an after thought. Trying to find reviews of people running tracks on the brute force seems to be far and few between.

Trying to figure out if I will need or want something like the speedohealer if I do pull the trigger on a set of tracks. Since the power steering is speed dependent and the tracks will make the speedometer read faster than you will be going, I'm curious if it will be a necessity for the EPS to do it's job or if it's not that big a deal.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It does seem certain information is hard to find answers for on these. I'm curious what you find out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have Camso x4s on my 2014 650i. It can go over just about anything. Only have about 500kms on them in mostly snow.
They reduce speed by 35% so need extra gas for long trips because ur burning 35% more gas for the distance.
Add 5 inches to the height of machine.
Not required but EPS would be nice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Its a VIPair windshield. Mounts solid with no rattling and includes mirrors and front amber lights. Little storage bin in it for keeping items like documentation etc.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess I should have followed up on this thread haha. I did end up getting a set of tracks for my Brute Force. I ran them for a couple of months and ended up selling them. I was and still am very much on the fence about them.

The good:

They do really good for cruising trails and will go through up to 2 feet of powder with relative ease as long as there is a good base. They would be fantastic if you own property that you just want to tool around on or are ice fishing or running hounds where you are going more on trails and just cruising around fairly slowly and not in a hurry to get anywhere. They do get you out in the snow and away from people.

The bad:
They are slow, they incorporate a 35% gearing reduction within the track it self, which is a double edged sword. Makes it so you have plenty of power to run the tracks but really reduces how fast you can cruise up a trail and really increases how much fuel you burn. Snowmobiles will still "blow your doors off" cruising down a groomed trail.

They are a bit harder on the machine than I was anticipating, for two reasons. 1. The tracks are so big and heavy it increases steering effort by about 2-3 times the amount. I figure that can't be good for all of the steering components. I did end up bending a tie rod from just backing up a trail, I never hit anything; and 2. You are running higher sustained RPM's than you would be trail riding on tires.

You have to either keep your ATV in a heated shop or spend 30 minute to an hour cleaning all the snow out from around the CV axles, engine, and radiator after every time out so it doesn't ice up and cause issues like ripped or torn CV boots.

They also throw snow everywhere! Pretty much if you are on anything but a groomed trail, anticipate getting covered in 2-3 times the amount of snow you would on a snowmobile.

My opinion:
Tracks serve their purpose and have their place but I am not sure I am convinced on them. Every time I have taken mine out I have felt one of two ways at the end of the ride: Either 1.) I could have went every where I went on the tracks on tires or 2.) Yeah it was a fun ride but a snowmobile would have been 3 times more fun. You can trail ride on the tracks, hill climb on them, and do some good drift busting but you are not going to be going out and carving around a powder bowl like you would on a sled.
I am out riding by myself primarily though so that limits a lot of the risks I am willing to take with them. I think they would be a lot more fun if you had a group of friends all with tracks on. Unfortunately I have not been able to find anyone else with tracks on their ATV's in my local area. Everyone around here is all about the SxS's or snowmobiles and ATV's are kind of falling out of favor.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Northern/Central Utah from a couple of months ago. It was snowing pretty good that day and I was going through 2 feet of fresh powder. It was fun but a snowmobile would have been a blast that day!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts