Kawasaki Brute Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys! I bought me a 2006 KFX700 last Friday and the fun only last me 13 minutes...but yeah it's all taking care of, it wasn't much. I ordered a new tie rod, hub and a front wheel.

Now for my first question, what's the number one mod I should do to this beast?

G

·
Originally posted by PIPO
What's up guys! I bought me a 2006 KFX700 last Friday and the fun only last me 13 minutes...but yeah it's all taking care of, it wasn't much. I ordered a new tie rod, hub and a front wheel.

Now for my first question, what's the number one mod I should do to this beast?
well after stronger tie rods and maybe ends, shocks without a doubt!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shocks? That would have been the last thing I'd think. Why the shocks? What about "power" wise?

Any "free" mods?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No other "free" mods besides the throttle limiter?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Even if your a big guy.. Your not going to be compressing those shocks.. I think they were sprung for an 800lb rider.. At least the rear one is. I did manage to bottom out the front shocks once in a jump and landed slightly on the front first and not level..

Along with the shocks. I would get different front tires..They are wider, and have those side lugs that like to grad the ruts and help rip the bars out of your hands.. If you ride in mud or muddy conditions a lot. You will like that "feature".. The rears I never really had any complaints about. They were a nice general use tire.

Free mods? Not a whole lot without other work being done. There's the mini MS-Mod where you connect the hose between the two manifolds. 12-hole mod to the airbox. Remove the resistor in the spark plug boots. Polish carb slides, and cut the springs.. Some of these tweaks will require rejetting..

Some of these won't work if you don't have the motor to take advantage of them. Hammer/CSB was modifing te Stock exhaust for a reasonable price. I would actually wait and see what Mickey/FST says about the new Muzzy pipe he got for Christmas..

Not sure of any other freebie performance mods..

Far as the stuff to buy.. Need to know your riding area/conditions, type of riding you do and what you want to accomplish.. We have drag racers, Mudders, trail riders and sand dune junkies here to answer just about any type of question..

·
Registered
254 Posts
Reminds me of a riding buddy of mine. First trip of the year, by the time I got to the dunes to meet the gang, Richard was already done for the day. Clipped a tree on his Predator in 3rd gear and snapped the end off the tie rod. The powersports shop at the dunes didn't have anything that would fit. So, his day ended before I even got there. The worst part was getting the quad back to camp with a broken rod.

Go to the technical articles area and check out the newbie guide (and give me your feedback on which parts suck most - I'll fix them).

Free or cheap mods/tweaks:
------------
- 12 1-inch holes in airbox lid (or no airbox lid, but some don't like that)
- Jet the carbs - Even with a stock airbox, precise jetting makes a difference
- Change the primary clutch spring - acceleration with the stock spring kind of hits a wall around 40 MPH, an aftermarket spring will wake it up a bit

That's really about it. The stock shocks aren't that good. If you shop around, you can find some used Elkas for half of new price.

My suggestion for progression of mods:
- Tie rods and maybe tie rod ends also
- Airbox mod (requires jetting changes)
- Shocks
- Aluminum bits (bumper, grab bar, nerf bars, etc.)
- Exhaust (requires jetting again)

·
Registered
254 Posts
I disagree on the break-in procedure. Ride it easy until it's thoroughly warmed up, then give it hell. More cylinder pressure is said to promote better ring seal.

Just be faithful about the warming up first.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What type of ridding do you do?

if i were building a new V for GNCC type ridding aggressive trail ridding
i would do the following

Tie Rods and Ends
Steering Stabilizer
Good Suspension
Pro-Armor Everything Including Nerfs
Fasst Flexx Bars
IMS Large Fuel Tank
Razr 2 Front Tires

Now you have one hell of a Trail quad and very very reliable

·
Registered
53 Posts
What type of ridding do you do?

if i were building a new V for GNCC type ridding aggressive trail ridding
i would do the following

Tie Rods and Ends
Steering Stabilizer
Good Suspension
Pro-Armor Everything Including Nerfs
Fasst Flexx Bars
IMS Large Fuel Tank
Razr 2 Front Tires

Now you have one hell of a Trail quad and very very reliable

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do trails and straight line riding because that's all I got available here in NC, I think. I'd love to ride in dunes but oh well. SO my ATV top speed is 40mph, wtf? How fast will it go with an aftermarket spring? I gotta keep up with my buddies, 1 YFZ 450, honda 450R, Raptor 660 and a 700 bombardier. Is it going to be a challenge or too much money mods involve?

·
Registered
254 Posts
No, it doesn't top out at 40.. I'm just saying that you'll find it doesn't feel like it is pulling as hard once you reach about 40. Changing the spring in the primary clutch changes shifting characteristics and seems to help it pull harder when you're at higher speeds.

If you mean you want to beat all those quads in drag races, keep the races shorter than about 300'. :p Because of the CVT automatic the KFX700 doesn't have as wide a range of gear ratios as the other quads, so when the other guys hit 4th gear they may start to pull ahead.

Again, all this information and more is in the Newbie Guide in the Technical Articles area.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My 2006 seems to go from 0 t0 60mph pretty D_M fast!!! :D Jay do you know if theres been any small changes in the cvt from 2004 to 2006, like maybe hit top end quicker, because my stock rocket hits it quick, maybe I got one of those perfect V's in a thousand!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well if that is the ridding you do

use my list you will be a ton faster through the woods without needind any engine or clutch work

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for the list RawDawg, For now I plan on doing the usual bolt on mods,I just orderd K/N filter, Dalton Blue spring, Jets, and I'm gonna do the 12 hole mod. :D I'm gonna get some pipes in Feb. and then start on the suspension and get a front bumper and nerf bars. I don't think I'll do a BBK for another 2 or 3 years, when the motor gets older. :D :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright guys I got the beast back together. Now is mod time, I got a 2 to 1 muzzy full exhaust system and I'm doing the airbox mod but Ill need a little guidance on how/where to drill the holes. Anyone?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Drill 12 1-inch holes around the outer part of the airbox lid - basically 3 holes per side. The more evenly spaced the better, of course. I'll see if I can dig up a pic tonight and post it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts