Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Information was provided by BruteSmitty.

Actuator Control System Trouble Shooting,
When the actuator fails, the controller enters failure mode and the indicator light illuminates 2WD,4WD alternately.
1. If it alternates really fast at .5 seconds on 2wd and .5 seconds on 4wd then the problem is Selectable 2wd/4wd actuator.
2. If it alternates from 2wd/4wd at 1 second intervals, the problem is the Engine Brake Actuator.
3. If it alternates from 2wd/4wd at 2 second intervals, the problem is both the selectable 2wd/4wd actuator and Engine brake actuator.

·
Super Moderator
13,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a way to reset or determine which one it is, mine is flashing really fast .
There is no reset. You will have to count the seconds each is on and go by the chart to see which one has a problem. I think you said the when you turn off the key you hear nothing from the break actuator, so there is a problem with it or the linkage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So the actuator on top of the belt cover is what controls 2wd & 4wd and the brake? What bout the actuator in front case? By the way you have been alot of help.

·
Super Moderator
13,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the actuator on top of the belt cover is what controls 2wd & 4wd and the brake? What bout the actuator in front case? By the way you have been alot of help.
The actuator on the belt case is only the engine brake. The other...on the front diff is the 4wd in & out.

·
Super Moderator
13,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It alternates in 1 second intervals, replace the actuator on the belt cover ?
That's what it says. Check all the connections first. You can also pull it, take it apart and clean it up. Make sure the fork is working correctly and that when you out it back in, the pin on the rotator fits back into the slide bushing it came out of.

Sometimes though....they are just gone and have to be replaced.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I pulled the cover today cleaned the actuator & looked at the forks , on the forks there are like 2 pads made out of plastic , those had some wear on them. Notches where it had been rubbing up against something . Before I had mentioned at times when I turned the bike off the actuator would keep making a noise , that not happening at all now. Do you think a new actuator will fix or will I need actuator & those forks? Do you see any need for me to try to reset the front actuator in the diff , like I did when resetting the the belt light . Once again thanks .

·
Super Moderator
13,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I pulled the cover today cleaned the actuator & looked at the forks , on the forks there are like 2 pads made out of plastic , those had some wear on them. Notches where it had been rubbing up against something . Before I had mentioned at times when I turned the bike off the actuator would keep making a noise , that not happening at all now. Do you think a new actuator will fix or will I need actuator & those forks? Do you see any need for me to try to reset the front actuator in the diff , like I did when resetting the the belt light . Once again thanks .
Once the problem is correct, the flashing will quit and they both will go back to working normal.

·
Registered
23 Posts

When the actuator fails, the controller enters failure mode and the indicator light illuminates 2WD,4WD alternately.
1. If it alternates really fast at .5 seconds on 2wd and .5 seconds on 4wd then the problem is Selectable 2wd/4wd actuator.
2. If it alternates from 2wd/4wd at 1 second intervals, the problem is the Engine Brake Actuator.
3. If it alternates from 2wd/4wd at 2 second intervals, the problem is both the selectable 2wd/4wd actuator and Engine brake actuator.
Thanks for the info. I removed the engine brake actuator and even tho is works dis-assembled it to makes sure all is clean. My indicator blinks about .5 secs so it must be the 4WD actuator on the differential. I will again remove it later and check it better. Going to the camp today and will have to ride 4WD all the time.
I saw somewhere where a guy modified his differential actuator using a choke cable to manually switch from 2WD to 4WD. This may be what I have to do to eliminate more electronic BS on the Brute. In doing so tell me what use is the engine break anyway? Another guy posted somewhere how to eliminate the break actuator as well using a relay but I'll have to find it as well.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
In doing so tell me what use is the engine break anyway?
The engine break keeps the belt engaged while going down hill. Without it the quad will free wheel like it's in neutral when you let off the throttle. My prairie is like that. It's no big deal, you can learn to ride without the engine break but it takes a while to get used to blipping the throttle to slow down. I rode the prairie for years like that but have gotten used to e-brake on the brutes.

·
Super Moderator
13,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info. I removed the engine brake actuator and even tho is works dis-assembled it to makes sure all is clean. My indicator blinks about .5 secs so it must be the 4WD actuator on the differential. I will again remove it later and check it better. Going to the camp today and will have to ride 4WD all the time.
I saw somewhere where a guy modified his differential actuator using a choke cable to manually switch from 2WD to 4WD. This may be what I have to do to eliminate more electronic BS on the Brute. In doing so tell me what use is the engine break anyway? Another guy posted somewhere how to eliminate the break actuator as well using a relay but I'll have to find it as well.
Without the engine break, the primary will kick-out and let the belt freewheel at about 7mph. With the actuator and arm holding pressure on the primary spider, it forces it to maintain contact with the belt down to about 2mph where the actuator rotates back out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There are a lot of things that need to be working in order for the electronic 4x4 actuator to work, including but not limited to:
Actuator
CDI Box
Wire Harness
Gauge Display
Throttle assembly

This site is great, I have not posted before but I read a lot and it helped me get my bike up and running again more than once, good luck!

Mechanical 4x4 system is always an option, eBay, search for Kawasaki Brute Force Prairie Mechanical 4wd electronic actuator replacement

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine does the 1 second 2wd 1 second 4wd. It only does this when riding over 15mph for an extended length of time in 2wd. Doesn't do it when in 4wd riding on the mountain trails. Engine brake seems to be working while going down hill but seems to kick out when it gets going pretty slow.
Thank You

1 - 17 of 17 Posts