Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as my retaining bolt on my primary clutch broke at the threads trying to remove, I knew my weekend riding was over. Got a clutch puller and modified it (aka wrecked it) to try and knock off the clutch with a piece of the retaining bold still left in the threads. As i impacted away the remainder of the clutch puller broke up to the threads... clutch puller gone, primary clutch wont come off!! tried heating outside of clutch for some heat expansion but still hasnt moved a hair. Am almost ready to get the cutting torch unless anyone has any ideas??

·
Super Moderator
13,496 Posts
So as my retaining bolt on my primary clutch broke at the threads trying to remove, I knew my weekend riding was over. Got a clutch puller and modified it (aka wrecked it) to try and knock off the clutch with a piece of the retaining bold still left in the threads. As i impacted away the remainder of the clutch puller broke up to the threads... clutch puller gone, primary clutch wont come off!! tried heating outside of clutch for some heat expansion but still hasnt moved a hair. Am almost ready to get the cutting torch unless anyone has any ideas??
That's too bad. Sorry to hear about it. So many have gone through this and usualy because of over-torking the bolt or just forgetting its a left-handed thread and going the wrong way.

So, you say the bolt is broken off in the crank and you can not drill, and use a left-handed ease-out to get it out. And that because you couldn't get enough threads to catch on the cut-off puller to handle the load, those are now stripped out. Man.. you are F'ed...sorry. I would try harder to get the bolt out and get another puller if there are at least 50% if the puller threads left. If not, well its death to the primary so try an outside arm puller first. If that doesn't work...its torch time. Just don't hurt the crank.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im pretty sure i got most of the clutch puller threads buried.. it just seems to be tight on there! so tight it snapped the puller tool. A friend tried drilling into but dulled his bit... will try another bit and easy out with some JB weld on it. As far as an external puller I dunno what would be a good spot to mount it on without damaging anything else?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
geeze i duno what to recommend here...deffinitly sounds like a terrible situation. new brute? lol

·
Super Moderator
13,496 Posts
geeze i duno what to recommend here...deffinitly sounds like a terrible situation. new brute? lol
Yeah and now that he used an impact on the puller pushing against the broken bolt to the point of stripping the threads, I'll just bet that broken bolt isn't about to give up and come out with an easy-out now...but stranger things have happened... I was glad to be wrong on another one with the same situation...and he did get the bolt out and use a borrowed puller.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If i cant get it out i got Kawi lined up to do my dirty work around the 15th, let them rape me for my mistake I guess :-S

1 - 6 of 6 Posts