Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

4X4 Actuator Issue

22K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Sparkie 
#1 ·
So my 4 wheel drive would not disengage this past weekend. We took the actuator off today and hooked it to a power source and the motor spins just fine. When we hook it back to the bike, nothing happens when we flip the switch on the handlebars. Can someone give me some guidance of where to start tracking down the problem? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
First..the actuator controler will do nothing until it gets a signal from the speeed sensor that it is moving at least 2mph and not over 12mph. Is the speedometer working? If not, check it. If it is working, and you are moving at least 2 mph, is either the 2/4wd or the belt light flashing. If so, there is an issue that caused the ECM/CDI to cut control power from the system. While you had the actuator off, did you inspect the slide block and pin...and did you manually slide the coupler to see if it was just stuck?

#8 ·
A couple of quick questions- when you start it then shut it off, does the engine brake actuator go through it's "Park" cycle? That's the buzzing it does when the key gets shut off. And does it have engine braking down to say..3mph? Or does it start costing just below 9mph?

I'm trying to determine weather if the entire actuator system is off line or if it's just the 4x4. Both are controlled by the actuator controller but control power comes from the ECM. Is there anything else electrically that is either not working or acting weird?

#10 ·
OK, so with that we can say there is control power so there must be something with some connection, the switch or the controler. I guess after checking any obvious things like connections including those under the fuse box go through the trouble shooting guide in the manual. In case you need one here's on you can download.

https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/b60bd175-2968-455d-b3f4-edc5e8ecf5e2

#15 ·
OK, so with that we can say there is control power so there must be something with some connection, the switch or the controler. I guess after checking any obvious things like connections including those under the fuse box go through the trouble shooting guide in the manual. In case you need one here's on you can download.

Adobe Acrobat
First..the actuator controler will do nothing until it gets a signal from the speeed sensor that it is moving at least 2mph and not over 12mph. Is the speedometer working? If not, check it. If it is working, and you are moving at least 2 mph, is either the 2/4wd or the belt light flashing. If so, there is an issue that caused the ECM/CDI to cut control power from the system. While you had the actuator off, did you inspect the slide block and pin...and did you manually slide the coupler to see if it was just stuck?
Hey men. I am having some issues with my brute. My 4wd and 2wd was flashing. I remove both actuator and tested it they are fine clean and lube. My speedometer , odemeter was not working too. I changed the speed sensor and nothing happen. 0Mph. I am thinking that i have a bad 4x4 actuator the little black box.
Some ideas of what i can do???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.