Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Everyone! First post. OK... my story. I was given an 08 Brute from my dad last weekend. Great bike, good condition. The only problem is that it has been stuck in 4wd for a few years. My dad rarely drove it but not sure how long the 4wd was stuck. The display was flashing 2wd 4wd on 1/2 second intervals. Looking through forums I found that this indicated a problem with the 2wd 4wd selectable actuator. I am doing a service on it anyway (diff fluids and oil) so figured I would take the actuator off and see if I could see a problem. When I took the actuator off, I was surprised to see a big scrape in the metal piece that gets moved by the actuator (collar). I think the collar is replaceable because I found a link to someone selling one and also it has a pin. How can I remove it? See pictures

A few questions? What do you think I should do with this? How can I remove the collar to replace it? Can I hook it up to the plug and then try the 2wd/4wd switch and when I push it, this should turn... correct? I'm half handy around small engines... but not an expert. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
OK as an update, I was able to remove the 1/2 of the pin from the collar. Yep, half. The other half in the collar and flush with it. I.e. I don't have a good way of removing the rest of the pin. Any ideas? It seems like it slides easy, just no real way to get it out because its flush.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK... more of an update. I got the pin (in two pieces) out with a magnet. It looks like I got all of it but the collar still won't slide off of the actuator. It seems to slide easily up and down a few mm each way. I can try to force it off, just really seems like something I shouldn't use force on. Should the collar just slide off? Also, does Kawi sell the collar and pin? Part numbers? Thanks again everyone.

·
Super Moderator
13,356 Posts
Well starting at the top, the block is f'ed so it has to be replaced. You will also find that the coupler that it rides in is also warn badly and also needs replaced..easy to do with a couple of tools. That block should just slide off the pin on the actuator. If not, the end is pinned slightly. I don't think that block is replaceable by itself so if you have someone that has a good one..get it. The other thing that I might do in your shoes after replacing the coupler is go with a manual controller, like the one from SGROI Innovations...who by the way is a supporting vender of ours. Quality, proven products...and likely cheaper then a new actuator.

Here is your very own shop manual. It will be a great help on your journey. Link will be good for 48 hours so download it soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply NMKawieRider. OK... I have the block off, took a bit of work but it's off. The coupler looks good. I found a replacement block and pin on ebay which looks like it will work well?

Now I need to test the actuator to see if it is buggered or if I just need to replace the block and pin. Is the best way to test the actuator itself just to test the resistance on the pins or can I connect it to a power source to see it operating?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked the resistance on the actuator itself using the specs from the service manual and everything is within range. Yet when I hook the actuator back up to the brute, still flashed 2wd/4wd and the motor doesn't run when I click the switch from 2wd to 4wd and vice versa. I cleaned the terminals and used dielectric grease on the connectors. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
13,356 Posts
The 2/4wd light will flash if either actuator has a problem or the system itself has a problem. How it flashed will tell you which one or if it flashed evenly, its a system problem. As long as it is flashing control power is terminated so it will never work. The manual will also have info on the flashing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just retested the actual actuator and the olms readings are not good. The reading between yellow and blue is 1 (which implies no connectivity at all or infinite resistance). The reading between
red and black is 36 (should be 3-15)
orange and blue is 5170 (3500-6500) which is OK
yellow and blue is infinite (630-3720)

A new actuator is pricey which is OK if I really need to buy one but the actuator itself looks amazing inside and out. Can I just replace the motor in it? Thanks again everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts