Kawasaki Brute Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm gonna say, after a year with this bike, I have nothing but love for it. It has really impressed me, and my riding buddies. Having said that, I'm not happy about the heat on my left leg. I have had enough of it. My wife hates riding it because of it. I have heard of people swapping out exhaust, and,or, using a tuner. Of course there is vforce John flashing ecu. But that could take a long time to get back. Would you upgrade exhaust, or go with a tuner, or both? If so what are some great brands to look at. Thanks.

·
Administrator
14,493 Posts
If it's the heat that's the problem there is a post about putting a shield on that side that stops that. Otherwise Kawasaki has done such a complete job tuning the 15+'s exhaust when they went to the closed-loop system that most people have found that with just an aftermarket exhaust...even one that accommodates the O2 sensor they find a loss of power. You would need both the ECU tune or the correct programmer and the full exhaust to feel a marginal gain. Not sure it would be worth it. I'll see if I can find that post on the heat shield.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's the heat that's the problem there is a post about putting a shield on that side that stops that. Otherwise Kawasaki has done such a complete job tuning the 15+'s exhaust when they went to the closed-loop system that most people have found that with just an aftermarket exhaust...even one that accommodates the O2 sensor they find a loss of power. You would need both the ECU tune or the correct programmer and the full exhaust to feel a marginal gain. Not sure it would be worth it. I'll see if I can find that post on the heat shield.
I found the post for the heat shield. Wish he would let us know what plastics he used. Do you have any recommendations for the plastics? I would hate getting something that would melt. Also would you suggest maybe layering the plastic heat shield with some kind of heat reflective tape on the inside?

·
Administrator
14,493 Posts
I found the post for the heat shield. Wish he would let us know what plastics he used. Do you have any recommendations for the plastics? I would hate getting something that would melt. Also would you suggest maybe layering the plastic heat shield with some kind of heat reflective tape on the inside?
If it were me I would grab some 1/8" sheet ABS, get it patterened-out and mounts ready, then get some stick-on heat shield and apply to the engine side. That should protect it. I would also put the pattern-side of the ABS sheet outward and with the right prep you can also paint it to match your plastics...or at least pretty close.. You can also work the ABS into having flanges on the edges for mounting. I build my fender flairs on my Z with it and it's pretty easy to do. I did a video on that...somewhere..let me see if I can find it.

Most of this doesn't pertain but it shows how you can make templates and bend it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it were me I would grab some 1/8" sheet ABS, get it patterened-out and mounts ready, then get some stick-on heat shield and apply to the engine side. That should protect it. I would also put the pattern-side of the ABS sheet outward and with the right prep you can also paint it to match your plastics...or at least pretty close.. You can also work the ABS into having flanges on the edges for mounting. I build my fender flairs on my Z with it and it's pretty easy to do. I did a video on that...somewhere..let me see if I can find it.

Most of this doesn't pertain but it shows how you can make templates and bend it.

Sweet! Thanks brother!

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki Brute Force 300
5 Posts
I own a 2022 Brute 300 that I bought last year. The heat was so bad, that my wife wouldn't use it. Had a guy install Titanium exhaust heat shield wrap on the exhaust. Solved about 80% of the problem and now it's manageable.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Without a doubt my 19 Brute is also suffering from excess heat om my left leg, my 2012 did Not Have this Issue.
I saw the post on installing a heat shield with a thick mud flap, think I'll give it a try but may add some high heat tape like material to the inside as well.

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki Brute Force 300
5 Posts
Without a doubt my 19 Brute is also suffering from excess heat om my left leg, my 2012 did Not Have this Issue.
I saw the post on installing a heat shield with a thick mud flap, think I'll give it a try but may add some high heat tape like material to the inside as well.
I'm wondering if a thick mud flap made of plastic would melt with the excessive heat? A custom, carbon-fiber shield is what I've seen.

I'm perplexed why a vendor isn't importing them from China yet

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm wondering if a thick mud flap made of plastic would melt with the excessive heat? A custom, carbon-fiber shield is what I've seen.

I'm perplexed why a vendor isn't importing them from China yet
I know right? You would figure, that how big of a deal this is, that someone would be pumping out aftermarket parts for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts