Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a brand new Brute Force 750. Its still in it's "break in time" (6 hours and 62 miles on it). Last night on a 12 mile ride it overheated. I have washed it twice so far and make sure to clean the radiator. Last night is the fist time it has overheated. I was not riding hard or in mud. I was on a dry dusty trail. It has radiator fluid and the fan kicks on. I am at a loss. Anything I can do before taking it to the dealership (they are 3 weeks behind on work)?

·
Super Moderator
13,348 Posts
The newer ones have a larger radiator compared to the pre 12s and Kawasaki has little issues with thermostats or fan switches like others so mostly when these things come up its that the radiator isn't as clean as the owner's think. Try blasting the core from the back side and include the corners. The fan area will be tough but keep working on it. Next time it shows over heating grab the return hose on the left side and see if it feels hot. If it does, it is really overheating and there is a problem with the engine or radiator. If not..look to a stuck thermostat. Happens..even with the best of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got my head in there and you are right. The back side has mud caked into the fins. I went for a ride after washing it so it probably got stuck up in the fins. The front side is clean. So now my question is do I take apart the front end plastic and remove the radiator to give a good cleaning. Or get in there with a garden hose. I can see the fan takes up a lot of space. So I worry I wont get as good of a cleaning if I don't take it out.

·
Super Moderator
13,348 Posts
I got my head in there and you are right. The back side has mud caked into the fins. I went for a ride after washing it so it probably got stuck up in the fins. The front side is clean. So now my question is do I take apart the front end plastic and remove the radiator to give a good cleaning. Or get in there with a garden hose. I can see the fan takes up a lot of space. So I worry I wont get as good of a cleaning if I don't take it out.
Well first if this is common for your riding I would consider a radiator relocate kit..get it on top. Second, I found a cheap, under 1500PSI pressure washer the answer for these situations. And you can adapt 90s and 45s and extensions to the wands to get in behind the radiators and get all corners....and get straight through the front as well. Garden hoses just don't have the pressure to always get all the way through the cores.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I have a pressure washer but it is way to powerful for a radiator. I am afraid to bend the fins. Do you recommend removing the radiator to clean it?

·
Super Moderator
13,348 Posts
I wouldn't cause of the coolant loss and that it will just happen again. Mine is a 3300psi but I just stay back a little and one of my HM spray adapters cuts the force way down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts