Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I'm continuing troubleshooting the noise that I just started to get in low range when the machine is under a lot of load. It sounds and feels like it tries to pop out of gear, but doesnt. I've checked all motor mounts, seem to have eliminated the front end components, axles 4x4 and diff. It will do it in 2wd. I'm working through the adjustment of the shift linkage and made a video to get your thoughts. I've done it as best as I can tell from the manual, not sure if there is anything else i can try without splitting the cases. Let me know what you think of the video.

·
Super Moderator
13,702 Posts
Looks good to me. When in low make sure the shifter isn't but just touching the detent..like you have it in neutral. You checked both motor mounts but did you check the two plates on the mount on the rear? Also, sometimes weird popping can happen under certain loads when the belt has some separation or some missing coggs..or burn/glazed spots so inspect every inch of the belt on both sides.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks good to me. When in low make sure the shifter isn't but just touching the detent..like you have it in neutral. You checked both motor mounts but did you check the two plates on the mount on the rear? Also, sometimes weird popping can happen under certain loads when the belt has some separation or some missing coggs..or burn/glazed spots so inspect every inch of the belt on both sides.
Thank you for the response. It's been a while since I was on here. I did check the motor mounts after reading one of your old posts. They are all really tight. The issue started on the last ride of out no where when trying to hammer down in some snow. Heard a pop noise and immediately stopped. It happened one more time on the way to the trucks, also in low range, then got it home. Took it all apart, inspected axles and what no, took it for a small ride near my house that has some hills. I couldn't get it to do it again, do I started to do some abnormal riding, like intentional slow hill climbs to torque load it and it happened in low range 2wd. It jerked the machine but didnt pop out of gear. I rode it home. Still have no issues in high, and can ride no problem in low until a high torque scenario happens. My belt wasnt loose but I did tighten it a bit after the initial ride, still made noise. Belt looked normal then but i will check it again. Just sucks as I've babied this brute compared to my 2012 as i really enjoy it. Hammered on it one time and this happened. Sucks.

·
Super Moderator
13,702 Posts
A little hard to see but go out and look above the coolant tank on the block. Look at these two circled sections which are bearing casements for the main and countershafts in the transmission. Look for any sign of any hairline cracks. This happens when the counter shaft gets its mating gear's dogs thrust apart under high torque stress in low range or it just wasn't completely seated when the high load was applied and they seperated. The forces push not only on the shift fork bending it, but also forces the shaft into the bearing breaking the case. If this happens, there's no fixing it without a new case as seen in the second pic.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I did find horror stories and looked. The best I can tell there is no crack. Also, the linkage adjustment was set perfect already from the factory. Not really sure how this issue happens in the first place. Is there any way at all to remedy it without splitting the cases? Seems crazy for it to just happen out of nowhere

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya I did find horror stories and looked. The best I can tell there is no crack. Also, the linkage adjustment was set perfect already from the factory. Not really sure how this issue happens in the first place. Is there any way at all to remedy it without splitting the cases? Seems crazy for it to just happen out of nowhere

·
Super Moderator
13,702 Posts
Well, the problem is...we don't know what it is. It may not be inside. Does it only do this in low range under load? If so, any particular speed? And are the bars turned at all? Does it shift into the other positions the same...meaning does the shifter shaft set on the detent the same on all positions? Is there any position that feels different going into or out of then the others? I'm assuming you checked all the CV joints for any signs of damage or loose spots...especially the outer ones.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the problem is...we don't know what it is. It may not be inside. Does it only do this in low range under load? If so, any particular speed? And are the bars turned at all? Does it shift into the other positions the same...meaning does the shifter shaft set on the detent the same on all positions? Is there any position that feels different going into or out of then the others? I'm assuming you checked all the CV joints for any signs of damage or loose spots...especially the outer ones.
So far I can only replicate it in low range. It first happened two weekends ago when fighting through some deep snow. I was hammered down in low range fighting the bars back forth. It popped twice before I stopped. At the time i didnt notice a physical disruption in the machine, we backed out and went back to the trucks. I had been in low range 4x4 for quite some time so it wasnt like I had just tried to shift and hammered the throttle. I tore it down when I got home and inspected as best I could. I was hoping it was an axle or something and took it out on the road and did some tight turns on pavement trying to make an axle pop or something. I shifted in and out of 4x4 probably 10 times and used high and low and didnt get any noises. Put plastics back on and took it for a ride and did some hill climbs. I had a nasty pop that caused the machine to jerk in low range 2wd doing a slow speed hill climb on purpose. This was with the front tires straight and on slightly sandy soil, so the rear end was digging, and no where near full throttle. Faster speeds with less torque didnt cause any noises. All gears shift smoothly and can feel it go into gear. I can still ride around in low range without issues until there is a heavy load. As best as I can tell it's not an axle or even the front diff/4x4.

·
Super Moderator
13,702 Posts
Do this: I assume you know how to remove the rear drive shaft. Do so. Then being on the right side looking through the wheel well at the pinion shaft on the rear gear case, rock the Brute back and forth just a little while watching that pinion. Of course it will rotate some...but watch it close and see if it moves in and out at all. Mark it if you have to. You might even grab it and try to move it in and out. If you can...that means the bearing retainer has come loose and is allowing the pinion to mis-mate on the ring gear and sometimes...it catches an edge and will make a major popping sound you can feel. It's also screwing with your wet brake making it drag. Might not be it but it is something that does happen to Brutes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do this: I assume you know how to remove the rear drive shaft. Do so. Then being on the right side looking through the wheel well at the pinion shaft on the rear gear case, rock the Brute back and forth just a little while watching that pinion. Of course it will rotate some...but watch it close and see if it moves in and out at all. Mark it if you have to. You might even grab it and try to move it in and out. If you can...that means the bearing retainer has come loose and is allowing the pinion to mis-mate on the ring gear and sometimes...it catches an edge and will make a major popping sound you can feel. It's also screwing with your wet brake making it drag. Might not be it but it is something that does happen to Brutes.
I do know how to pull the shaft, replaced a seal on my 2012 before. I will try this. Are there really any reports that anyone can remember of a tranny going out that wasnt caused by loose motor mounts, shift linkage out of wack, not fully being in gear and hammering on throttle? Just seems crazy to me that I treated my 2012 like ****, rolled it, and still didnt harr any issues in the 5k miles I put on it. Went back to the brute because I consider it a perfect machine for me and I never even cruise above 30 mph, rarely pull wheelies, baby it really until the one time I had to lay some power down, also in snow no less and this happens. Lame. Anyways, end of rant. I will work on getting drive shaft out and checking. Will try it tomorrow. Any other ideas I can try?

·
Super Moderator
13,702 Posts
I do know how to pull the shaft, replaced a seal on my 2012 before. I will try this. Are there really any reports that anyone can remember of a tranny going out that wasnt caused by loose motor mounts, shift linkage out of wack, not fully being in gear and hammering on throttle? Just seems crazy to me that I treated my 2012 like ****, rolled it, and still didnt harr any issues in the 5k miles I put on it. Went back to the brute because I consider it a perfect machine for me and I never even cruise above 30 mph, rarely pull wheelies, baby it really until the one time I had to lay some power down, also in snow no less and this happens. Lame. Anyways, end of rant. I will work on getting drive shaft out and checking. Will try it tomorrow. Any other ideas I can try?
The only one thing that gets reported throughout all the years is bent shift forks from people shifting before comming to a complete stop. Once that happens it never stays in gear.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only one thing that gets reported throughout all the years is bent shift forks from people shifting before comming to a complete stop. Once that happens it never stays in gear.
Thats about what I figured it to be. That certainly wasn't what caused my issue, so maybe it really is not my transmission. I can only hope so. I will try to inspect the rear end tonight after work.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats about what I figured it to be. That certainly wasn't what caused my issue, so maybe it really is not my transmission. I can only hope so. I will try to inspect the rear end tonight after work.
I finally had some time to take skid plates off and remove rear drive shaft. I cant see or feel any movement from the rear pinion, in and out play. I did go through the procedure to set shift linkage and still had pop noise in low range when hill climbing. I cant get it to do it on flat ground, but I'm also not going full throttle either as I do not want to grenade anything. Any other things I can check? I tore cvt all apart, inspected and cleaned everything. Belt deflection is good. Belt looks fine. I'm thinking it has to be in the transmission at this point

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know that you have to split the case to fix anything related to the transmission, but can you take the cover off that the shift shaft?? Come out of and inspect anything that way? It looks like it has 3 bolts in it and is triangle shaped?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts