Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody i made this account today to get opinions on my brute 750. iv had it for about a year and really dont ride it all too rough. some nights she gets a little rowdy but never swamped or submerged just fast speeds once in a while getting trail to trail on the road. i noticed its feeling a little hot around the ankles and the fan is staying on for longer periods of time. i dont think the radiator is clogged because i was it fairly well and dont typically hit crazy mud to gunk up in there.

i think im going to start with an oil change because i personally havent done one since i bought it privately. so recommendations on oil and filters you guys/girls may like?

secondly, if anybody got any other advice ill be checking frequently. iv never done a oil change on a 4x4 atv just my dirtbike, sure itll be straight forward i hope. any suprise drain plugs i should stay away from?

the atv is really just for my girlfriend to putt behind me while im on the dirtbike, once in a while we take it out together.

thanks!

·
Super Moderator
13,445 Posts
On the coolant, check the recovery bottle. It's down on the left side. If it is empty you will need to pull the front plastics to get to the radiator cap. Once there make sure it is full to the top...no air gaps. Also refill the bottle. With the plastics off you can supper-wash the radiator from the back to the front all over to ensure all fins are clean. On oil, I would change the engine and both diffs. You can run a synthetic in an 09 with no issues but if it had never had it better start with conventional 10w40. Ualways used the Kawasaki ATV 10w40 oil and if I didn't have a kawasaki oil filter I use the Purelator Pure-1 listed in the filter cross reference in the Brute Technical Articles. The rear diff/gear case will take either the Kawasaki wet brake oil or any Tractor hydraulic oil. The front will use any conventional 10W40 motor oil. Take your time on it...it will take a lot more time to fill but before you put that fill cap on...make damn-sure it is full. Otherwise bad things will/can happen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For engine oils, I've always been a fan of the pro honda GN4 oil. I always have a jug of that hanging around because I use it in my dirtbikes so it's usually my go to oil. For filters I usually use the Tusk Brand just because I order all my chemicals and parts off of Rocky Mountain ATV. The yamalube oils are supposed to be really good too. If you don't want to worry about getting a motorsport/ATV specific oil any good quality oil will work just fine in an ATV. I've used Mobil 1 in my quads plenty of times too. For the differentials, I use whatever is reccommended in the manual typically. Since the rear diff has a wet brake in it you have to use a GL-5 rated oil. IF you're going with Kawi oils they call it their gear and wet brake oil, final drive fluid.

As far as heat goes, as NMKAWIERIDER said, I would check the coolant level first, possibly even flush the coolant system and put fresh antifreeze in since that stuff does degrade over time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the coolant, check the recovery bottle. It's down on the left side. If it is empty you will need to pull the front plastics to get to the radiator cap. Once there make sure it is full to the top...no air gaps. Also refill the bottle. With the plastics off you can supper-wash the radiator from the back to the front all over to ensure all fins are clean. On oil, I would change the engine and both diffs. You can run a synthetic in an 09 with no issues but if it had never had it better start with conventional 10w40. Ualways used the Kawasaki ATV 10w40 oil and if I didn't have a kawasaki oil filter I use the Purelator Pure-1 listed in the filter cross reference in the Brute Technical Articles. The rear diff/gear case will take either the Kawasaki wet brake oil or any Tractor hydraulic oil. The front will use any conventional 10W40 motor oil. Take your time on it...it will take a lot more time to fill but before you put that fill cap on...make damn-sure it is full. Otherwise bad things will/can happen.
For engine oils, I've always been a fan of the pro honda GN4 oil. I always have a jug of that hanging around because I use it in my dirtbikes so it's usually my go to oil. For filters I usually use the Tusk Brand just because I order all my chemicals and parts off of Rocky Mountain ATV. The yamalube oils are supposed to be really good too. If you don't want to worry about getting a motorsport/ATV specific oil any good quality oil will work just fine in an ATV. I've used Mobil 1 in my quads plenty of times too. For the differentials, I use whatever is reccommended in the manual typically. Since the rear diff has a wet brake in it you have to use a GL-5 rated oil. IF you're going with Kawi oils they call it their gear and wet brake oil, final drive fluid.

As far as heat goes, as NMKAWIERIDER said, I would check the coolant level first, possibly even flush the coolant system and put fresh antifreeze in since that stuff does degrade over time.

ok guys i know its been a couple weeks iv been super busy with work, i started pulling the plastics today and noticed the recovery bottle is bone dry so i would imagine the radiator is too... dope..... hopefully there is no damage, iv only road it a handful of times and didnt notice the excessive heat till recently. as far as all the oils go, ill have to find a youtube video etc.. i see the main engine dipstick (i think) and it seems to be full, do the differentials have dipstick like ports to out the fluid in or is it more complex than that?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts