Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have a relatively new to me 09' Brute Force 650 that had an issue with the fan always running even when the bike was ice cold. Replaced it with a brand new OEM radiator fan switch and now the thing doesn't seem to come on at all. I haven't ran it long enough to get an overheating light, but it felt like it was more than hot enough for the fan to kick on. The breaker is NOT popped, fan kicks on when connected straight to the battery and it also turns on when the radiator fan switch leads are jumped. For anyone with a normal operating 650, how long does it usually run before the fan kicks on? Are there any other tests I can run with everything still on the quad? Any help you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
13,444 Posts
Just something to check- both the 650s and 750s if for any reason the fan switch is not submersed in the coolant..ie the radiator is at all low or the switch is in a pocket of air, the switch will not work. There must be no air gap between the coolant and radiator cap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was careful to slowly refill it so air could escape better and then bled it till all air bubbles stopped. When I take the cap off the radiator is completely full. It would suck to have a brand new Kawasaki switch bad out of the box. Really not looking forward to draining and taking this thing back apart again.

·
Super Moderator
13,444 Posts
I was careful to slowly refill it so air could escape better and then bled it till all air bubbles stopped. When I take the cap off the radiator is completely full. It would suck to have a brand new Kawasaki switch bad out of the box. Really not looking forward to draining and taking this thing back apart again.
I know just sitting there running in the shop it would take over 20 minutes before it got hot enough for the fan to come on. Maybe it just not getting as hot as you think it is. Kawasaki parts are usually very good quality.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know just sitting there running in the shop it would take over 20 minutes before it got hot enough for the fan to come on. Maybe it just not getting as hot as you think it is. Kawasaki parts are usually very good quality.
Well, you nailed it. I took it out for a long ride all over the property after my last post and noticed the fan cycling on and off a couple times after a good bit of riding. Now onto the 5 second humming that comes from the engine bracke actuater when you turn the ignition on and off.

·
Super Moderator
13,444 Posts
Well, you nailed it. I took it out for a long ride all over the property after my last post and noticed the fan cycling on and off a couple times after a good bit of riding. Now onto the 5 second humming that comes from the engine bracke actuater when you turn the ignition on and off.
That is normal. It works or cycles once to make sure it is retracted and in it's "Park" position so it is never inguaged the next time it's started. When it "Hunts" and never stops...that's when you worry. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is normal. It works or cycles once to make sure it is retracted and in it's "Park" position so it is never inguaged the next time it's started. When it "Hunts" and never stops...that's when you worry. :)
Thanks. It doesn't hunt, just the 4-5 second hum with very short cycling when the ignition key is turned on and again when it is turned off. After that it doesn't keep cycling or make any noise. Definitely a change from the old prairie 300 but man is this thing a beast. The 650 goes places around the farm in 2wd where the old 300 used to get stuck in 4wd.

·
Super Moderator
13,444 Posts
Thanks. It doesn't hunt, just the 4-5 second hum with very short cycling when the ignition key is turned on and again when it is turned off. After that it doesn't keep cycling or make any noise. Definitely a change from the old prairie 300 but man is this thing a beast. The 650 goes places around the farm in 2wd where the old 300 used to get stuck in 4wd.
Yeah, the V-twin is in a different class for sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah, the V-twin is in a different class for sure.
Yes it is. I'll never knock the old Prairie 300 though, that thing had nearly 20 yrs. and well over 10,000 hard use miles before it finally retired itself. It's really not worth it to fix the old girl, but it's kinda hard to let her go too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts