Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm contemplating which quad to try next. I found a decent price on an extremely clean 2006 Z400. There's also a 2003 Raptor 660 I've located that I can pick up for about $300 less.

Anybody had experience with both? Which would you vote for?

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Jay
So I'm contemplating which quad to try next. I found a decent price on an extremely clean 2006 Z400. There's also a 2003 Raptor 660 I've located that I can pick up for about $300 less.

Anybody had experience with both? Which would you vote for?
since you are a duner I like the raptor since it has more low end torque.

but damn a 2006 vs. 2003 is hard to argue, Z400 wins that aspect.

that was no help at all just rambling.

·
Registered
530 Posts
You would be happier with the Rappy i would think but the Z's are nice i almost bought the boy a 660 tell i found the z

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave you clearly understand the conundrum I am faced with.

I did read about the recall on the magnesium covers on the Z400 and the dealer is supposed to replace it with aluminum.

Sounds like the Z400 is the way to go. I'm waiting for a call back from a guy who might sell me a 400EX for a really low price. If that comes through, I'm going to go that route so as not to have so much cash tied up in the machine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
get the raptor the power is way better and they are a littel more roomy. the 400s are fun, but there are slow nomater how many modes you do to it. i got a 660 and love it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
they are a bit tippy but nothen +2 a arms cant fix. i picked one up that is just like new for 2000 put some a arms, pipe and rejetted it, changed the sprokets, and it handels better then any 450 or 400 and is way faster then most 450 or 700. and i have droped about 20lbs off of it. with the modes and the price of the 660 i only have about 4500 in to it.

and the stock susspention on z400 suck just as bad as the 660.

·
Registered
6 Posts
thats not to shaby, but mod for mod the 660 will win every time. i have a freind with a z400 and have been trying to get him to put a big bore kit in it. he bought it used with everything you could think of on it, for 3500 the guy he got it from raced in mx. it a nice bike but it isnt that fast. my kfx kills it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, I'm still quadless. I found a nice Z400, but it was 4 hours away and I don't have time to go snag it before someone else buys it.

There's a really nice 03 Raptor for sale locally. I think he's asking $3,800 with a few extras.

I dunno.. nothing is really doing it for me. I really want to spend $3,000-$3,500, but I want something a little more modern than a 400EX. It's easy to find a nice 400EX in that range.

*sigh* can't decide what to do...

·
Registered
143 Posts
what about a predator 500? you can pick one up in good cond for that $ power is = to if not better than the raptor, and handling is 10x better stock. they just don't hold there value very well for some reason.. i love mine, it is an 04 i got for 3k 2 years ago. smokin deal.. check out predatorowners.com. there are a few for sale on there in classifieds

·
Registered
6 Posts
get the raptor, then get some a-arms, some yfz 450 shock off ebay, and some rear wheel, wheel spacers. it will have more then anouf power and will handel way better then any other quad. then change the gearing to how you like it you will be very inpressed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
you're looking at $1000 plus for those mods, i was just giving him a good option that he could get into for less than the raptor, that is a solid performer out of the box w/good power and handling stock. the more options and opinions the better. the pred is about 75 lbs heavier than a yfz 450, but if you find an 05 or newer tld it also has reverse, and is still doable for what he is looking to spend on the raptor. good luck and let us know.

·
Registered
143 Posts
jay, pulled this straight off the classifieds on predatorowners.com it has pics with it, i'm just not smart enough to get them on here. dosen't even look like it's been ridden enough for his boots to wear through the paint on the cases.
pic: http://www.predatorowners.com/memberphotos...10/IMG_3609.jpg

Subject: 06' Troy Lee for sale w/upgrades. May trade.

Here is my Troy Lee Preddy. Very nice ride, but looking to get myself a sportbike and cant have too many toys.

2006 Troy Lee Polaris Predator 500 with about 40-45 hours (prob less just guessing)
Changed oil frequently with oil kits from Polaris
Fox Podiums all around
Douglas rims w/Maxxis tires
Steel braided brake lines
Close Ratio gear box
Stock Motor
AC Racing Pro Peg full Nerf Bars
HMF Racing Slip On
Race Cut Fenders
Spider Gel Grips
Trail Tech ATV Big Bar Logo Clamp Kit (Has Predator on it)
Trail Tech ATV X-Bars ATV Mid Bend Black
Pure Polaris Engine Kill switch
Rath Racing Intake w/K&N and Outerwares
Rath Racing front Bumper
Rath Racing Radiator Shrouds
Rejetted
Chrome crankcase breather
New chain slide
New Brakes
Lifetime warranty on the Axle
New tires

I still have stock parts as well.

Has some scratches and scuffs on the plastics. Marks underneath (a-arms) Has been an excellent atv with no problems at all, rides excellent and very fast!! Needs nothing but a rider.

New Price - $4000

I will also entertain a sportbike trade, preferably a Honda CBR F4i or Suzuki GSX-R 600.

Thanks for looking

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks.. I'm not really into the Predator, though.

I went and looked at a Z400 today, but it was beat. The top end clattered like a box of rocks. However, it ran pretty strong and I liked the ergonomics, so I've pretty well decided I want a Z400/KFX400.

I found a super clean 05 KFX400 that's priced right, but it's about 8.5 hours away. Hoping to work out a meeting half way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts