Kawasaki Brute Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running into issue with my SRA brute force 650. Purchased the ATV a few weeks ago and have been fixing it up. I finally got the engine going but noticed the drive shaft was spinning but the rear diff was not. I pulled the diff to inspect and didn’t see anything out of ordinary. I made sure the drive shaft spring was in good condition. It almost seems like the drive shaft is too short since I can only get it to connect to the splines on the engine and rear diff if it’s barley on the engine. I don’t feel any play in the pinion nut and the splines on the rear diff .I can post a video/ pics. Any help would be appreciated.
Wood Gas Hardwood Audio equipment Engineering
Wood Gas Hardwood Audio equipment Engineering
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Rim Cameras & optics
Water Liquid Eye Automotive tire Fluid
Light Black Automotive tire Crankset Gear
Gear Motor vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Rim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help Kawirider. I engaged the break by hand and rocked the wheels and did not see any movement in the shaft. I also did not see an spacers installed. There is is enough of the shaft exposed to compress the drive shaft about an inch on there. I’ve posted some pics of the unit let me know if you need a different angle.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Gas
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,100 Posts
No extension like you said. Never seen one too short. Wonder if it is even the right one for this machine. Spline exposure should be about the same on either end and all should be covered when spring pushes it apart. Will it part enough to cover the splines? Maybe its the wrong spring? Just tossing stuff out there.

In this pic the shaft just doesn't look like it's sticking through very far. How much would you say?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would have to say inch and a half. I measured my drive shaft and it came out to just shy of 13 inches. Couldn’t find much info out there on what the dimension should be. I am wondering if this is the correct rear diff as well since I got it with the diff boot off, so the previous owner had to be doing something. I wonder if there are any identifying marks that I can verify it’s the correct one since I know prairies and others atvs have similar SRAs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok thanks for the quick reply I’ll keep digging and keep this post updated in case anyone runs into this same issue. I ordered a used rear drive shaft (7 bucks on eBay, so it was worth the shot) but it’s the same dimensions as the current one I have. I’ll pull the swing arm off the diff again and make sure the pinion nut it tight. Keep you posted

1 - 9 of 9 Posts