Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

2006 BF 650I - One last Attempt at timing

2K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  NMKAWIERIDER 
#1 ·
I never could get the engine to even attempt to start so one last attempt at timing.. I took all running gears and chains off and did a service manual step by step timing on the engine. I have one question.. When I installed the cams and cam chains I installed them with the cam chain tensioners off with the marks on the cam chain sprocket lined up with the top of the head.. When I install the tensioners, will this throw the timing off by one tooth and prevent the engine from attempt to fire.. I have gas and spark...

#3 ·
OK.. thats the way I installed the cams, without the tensioners installed. I put my timing light on each cylinder and I can see the timing marks about an inch from the indent in the inspection port.. Is there anything else you can possibly think of that would not allow the engine to fire at all??

#4 ·
Spark timing is based on the rotor on the crankshaft against the pulse coil. It would not be effected in any way by valve timing. In any case it should fire about 3 degrees before(advanced) of TDC of either cylinder's mark on that rotor. An inch seems a bit much and would indicate a partly sheared drift pin...and if it shears at all..it won't ever start. They shear mostly because the retainer wasn't torqued to the proper level...which is quite high on a Kawasaki.

#5 ·
STUPID...STUPID... Mistake... I just now noticed that the negative lead from the battery was not connected. I had spark and the engine cranked over.. Negative lead must have another path to ground I can not see. I have not gotten it to attempt to start yet but I think I may be close. My timing light is adjustable for degrees BTDC. I set mine to about 5 degrees and the timing mark now aligns with the inspection port indent.

The drift pin you are talking about.. Is that the half moon shaped woodruff key that holds the rotor to the main shaft??

#9 · (Edited)
But can the timing according to the timing light show correct in the inspection port but the cylinder be 180 degrees off..

To clarify.. Can the timing light shown in the inspection port show the timing mark on the exhaust stoke or will it only show on the compression stroke or both..

In just trying to figure out if it's possible the mechanical timing for the valves is on the exhaust stroke when the plugs fire.. I was very thorough in doing the mechanical timing but it's the only thing that make sense why it won't even fire..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.