Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Brute 750 that I just got overheats after about 15 minutes of normal riding. The first time I really rode it it took it a while to overheat but then it started spraying coolant and what not. Now my temp light comes on all the time and the fan works at weird times. The fan usually isn't even on when my temp light is on. Is there an easy fix to this? I'm not very mechanically gifted but I would love to try to fix it before I take it to the shop. The engine also seems abnormally hot after normal riding, much hotter than my 450 Grizzly that I had before. I added coolant in the coolant tank but should I just add it straight to the radiator? I thought I'd try the tank first so I didn't have to take all the plastics off.

Anyway, what could be the issue here? :confused: Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Super Moderator
13,702 Posts
As a new Brute owner you will have to learn some mechanical skils but in this case it sounds like the radiator is very low so yes, you will have to fill it...and to do it you will have to pull the front plastics. Fill it almost to the top then with the cap off, run it and keep adding as needed until the fan comes on. Then top it off to the very top and put the cap back on.

If while you are doing this you see lots of air bubbles coming up that never stop, that is the first sign of a blown head gasket...which is the #1 cause for displacing the coolant with air or gasses.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As a new Brute owner you will have to learn some mechanical skils but in this case it sounds like the radiator is very low so yes, you will have to fill it...and to do it you will have to pull the front plastics. Fill it almost to the top then with the cap off, run it and keep adding as needed until the fan comes on. Then top it off to the very top and put the cap back on.

If while you are doing this you see lots of air bubbles coming up that never stop, that is the first sign of a blown head gasket...which is the #1 cause for displacing the coolant with air or gasses.
Thanks I'll try that...Would the radiator being low have anything to do with the fan not coming on at the right time? Or might I have a bad fan breaker?

·
Super Moderator
13,702 Posts
Thanks I'll try that...Would the radiator being low have anything to do with the fan not coming on at the right time? Or might I have a bad fan breaker?
On the older one with the fan switch on the upper radiator when they were exposed to air inside, they wouldn't come on. The 08+ have then on the thermostat housing but same thing, if there's air in it, they won't come on.

I would check all the connections and the fan breaker anyway..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem seems fixed. I took all the plastics off and pressure washed the radiator and then ran it wide open for a few minutes with the radiator cap off. All the coolant that was in the radiator spewed out through the opening with the cap off, then I filled it up again with antifreeze and put the cap back on. It didn't want to overheat when I ran it again and the fan seemed to kick on at normal time. Let's hope that's the end of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts