Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up an 08 BF650, rear brakes not working. Had to use a heat gun on the diff to get it to drain. Ran Marvel Mystery Oil,diesel, atf ...filled, drove around, drained, filled, drove, drained, filled multiple times until it started getting pretty clean. Then filled with tractor oil(tractor hydraulic oil). Drained, filled, drove, etc. My rear brake still sucks, but I can lock it up if I stomp on the rear brake foot pedal. Maybe the more I ride the better it will get.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,367 Posts
Usually what happens is either someone road it with the parking brake on or it was miss-adjusted and they road it a long period toasting the brake disks and oil into tar. Or it never got changed and it got some water in with it over time. Maybe they will get better...but more likely they need replaced real bad. At least you got them working and maybe saved the rest of the gear case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Usually what happens is either someone road it with the parking brake on or it was miss-adjusted and they road it a long period toasting the brake disks and oil into tar. Or it never got changed and it got some water in with it over time. Maybe they will get better...but more likely they need replaced real bad. At least you got them working and maybe saved the rest of the gear case.
Thanks. I'm going to ride it for awhile and see how it goes. I'm not sure if I will have to remove the whole swing arm/ diff assembly, or can just split case so to speak, and just remove the back half and change out the discs. Not much out there on the discs replacement with the solid axle rear, but doesn't seem too difficult. I'm using the premium tractor Orielly's) oil in it right now but have the Kawi stuff coming in tomorrow, not sure if it will make any difference. I'm assuming those discs are either worn out or glazed over like glass.

·
Super Moderator
13,367 Posts
Thanks. I'm going to ride it for awhile and see how it goes. I'm not sure if I will have to remove the whole swing arm/ diff assembly, or can just split case so to speak, and just remove the back half and change out the discs. Not much out there on the discs replacement with the solid axle rear, but doesn't seem too difficult. I'm using the premium tractor Orielly's) oil in it right now but have the Kawi stuff coming in tomorrow, not sure if it will make any difference. I'm assuming those discs are either worn out or glazed over like glass.
Your Tractor hydraulic oil is as good as it gets..it's fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Your Tractor hydraulic oil is as good as it gets..it's fine.
What do you think about adding some Marvel Mystery Oil or ATF to the rear diff to help clean some of the crud out. Drain it and refill- do that a couple more times and maybe it'll help clean those discs? As I mentioned in original post that what I used to get 90% of the crud out, I was just thinking of running it (MMO or ATF) in the diff for awhile-don't think it'll hurt any bearings,etc.

·
Super Moderator
13,367 Posts
What do you think about adding some Marvel Mystery Oil or ATF to the rear diff to help clean some of the crud out. Drain it and refill- do that a couple more times and maybe it'll help clean those discs? As I mentioned in original post that what I used to get 90% of the crud out, I was just thinking of running it (MMO or ATF) in the diff for awhile-don't think it'll hurt any bearings,etc.
My biggest fear is washing trash through the bearings and what it will do to the gear faces. If it would just wash down and sit on the bottom to be flushed-out...great, but I guess it would depend on what the "sludge" is made up with. Burned fragments of brake disks and dirt left over from mud intrusion would not be well received but if it were just burned oil...well..not so bad. If it were me I might be tempted to set the back end off the ground and fill the unit through the vent tube on top with just diesel fuel. Then just slowly spin the tires back and forth washing everything slowly enough to let the heavier particles fall to the bottom. Let it sit a few hours, then drain it. Might do it twice then let it drain over night and with the plug out quickly dump some oil and diesel through the main port to wash the bottom of the case out. Then full with regular fluid and take it for a few runs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If all else fails can find a used diff on EBay for less than $100. It’s easy to swap out but takes a little time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My biggest fear is washing trash through the bearings and what it will do to the gear faces. If it would just wash down and sit on the bottom to be flushed-out...great, but I guess it would depend on what the "sludge" is made up with. Burned fragments of brake disks and dirt left over from mud intrusion would not be well received but if it were just burned oil...well..not so bad. If it were me I might be tempted to set the back end off the ground and fill the unit through the vent tube on top with just diesel fuel. Then just slowly spin the tires back and forth washing everything slowly enough to let the heavier particles fall to the bottom. Let it sit a few hours, then drain it. Might do it twice then let it drain over night and with the plug out quickly dump some oil and diesel through the main port to wash the bottom of the case out. Then full with regular fluid and take it for a few runs.
Thanks, I'll give that a try

1 - 8 of 8 Posts