Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 Brute Force 650 and I am having a backfiring issue. I have already done a carburetor rebuild with stalk jets front and rear. I have also cleaned and serviced the fuel system to include cleaning the inside of the fuel tank. I just replaced the spark plugs last night and still have the same issue. The bike fires up and idles just fine but as soon as to start giving it some fuel it will stutter and backfire through the carburetors. if you feather the throttle and get past the backfiring the quad is a beast and it topped out at 56Mph I am at a total loss and extremely frustrated. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I am open to anything at this point before I take it in for service and it be a super simple fix that I pay a local service senter hundreds of dollars for.

·
Super Moderator
13,746 Posts
I have a 06 Brute Force 650 and I am having a backfiring issue. I have already done a carburetor rebuild with stalk jets front and rear. I have also cleaned and serviced the fuel system to include cleaning the inside of the fuel tank. I just replaced the spark plugs last night and still have the same issue. The bike fires up and idles just fine but as soon as to start giving it some fuel it will stutter and backfire through the carburetors. if you feather the throttle and get past the backfiring the quad is a beast and it topped out at 56Mph I am at a total loss and extremely frustrated. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I am open to anything at this point before I take it in for service and it be a super simple fix that I pay a local service senter hundreds of dollars for.
First, I assune you are running it with the air box lid on and sealed...because it MUST be. Second, if this is the 650i, they are the 750s were prone to splits in the carb boots at or under the head-side clamp. Check for that. Third- check that the float levels are correct. Only a few thousands low can have that effect. Next confirm that the fuel pump is delivering the correct pressure and volume. Also- inspect the CV slides for proper operation and that the diaphragm have no cracks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is not the 650l it is the straight axel. The slides are smooth like butter and I inspected the diaphragms very closely during the rebuild. The only thing I did not do on the rebuild was pull the boots from the heads (I will do that per your advice) and I did not pull the plug and remove the fuel air needle since it will idle all day long. I will also check those other suggestions when I check the boots and get back to you with the results.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I pulled the boots and cleaned them up and found no cracks or holes. I will pull the carbs again and double check the floats per your recommendation. Do you think it could be any of the electronics that could be going bad?

·
Super Moderator
13,746 Posts
So I pulled the boots and cleaned them up and found no cracks or holes. I will pull the carbs again and double check the floats per your recommendation. Do you think it could be any of the electronics that could be going bad?
It can be a bad connector or low system voltage. Check the coil(s) voltage while running.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok so the new fuel pump I put on here just exploded into pieces while the bike was idling.
Bought the cheap one, eh? Yeah you need one with better quality and a guarantee. OEM is a benny but you can get a good one for half that. Or install an electric pump. If your tank was gummed up you can bet that the fuel pump needs replacement. I'm pretty convinced that fuel delivery is a problem on these carb'd machines. My 750 is having the same problems after setting for 2 years. Crap gas and no ethanol-free around for miles. Always check your valve clearances. It affects the performance a lot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bought the cheap one, eh? Yeah you need one with better quality and a guarantee. OEM is a benny but you can get a good one for half that. Or install an electric pump. If your tank was gummed up you can bet that the fuel pump needs replacement. I'm pretty convinced that fuel delivery is a problem on these carb'd machines. My 750 is having the same problems after setting for 2 years. Crap gas and no ethanol-free around for miles. Always check your valve clearances. It affects the performance a lot.
Yeah I
Yeah the other place already refunded me the money and I ordered another one from another place and it seems to be doing the trick but I am still spitting and sputtering. I have not done the valves yet as it was running fine and then all of a sudden it has been doing this but that is definitely something I will eventually be checking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts