Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a day of trail riding I returned to my garage and later noticed an oil leak from my BF750 at the rear seal. Having only 450 miles and still under extended warranty, I took it to a local dealer. He checked the engine oil and the level was excessively high. We smelled the oil and it had gas mixed in it. He then took me back in the shop and showed me three other atv's with carbs that were having the same problem.
He explained it as the "environmental friendly" additives that are in our gasoline have deteriorated the pins in my carbs and it is allowing gasoline to flow back into the engine.
He also told me the only way to avoid this in the future is by treating my fuel with an activator or stabilizer. The dealer also told me this is a "fuel" issue and it is not covered by the factory warranty.
Has anyone else had this problem? :cuss:

·
Registered
57 Posts
SOUNDS LIKE CRAP TO ME ALSO. MY BRO IN LAW GOT FUEL IN HIS OIL FROM TRAILERING IT A LONG WAY AND NOT PLUGGING UP THE SNORKEL. I WAS TOLD BY ANOTHER KNOWLEDGABLE FELLA THAT IF YOU CRACK THE GAS CAP BEFORE TRAILERING TO RELIEVE THE PRESSURE THEN THE GAS WON'T KEEP FLOWING. THIS MAY BE WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU. DON'T KNOW FOR SURE. EASIEST THING TO DO IS TO PLUG SNORKELS IF YOU HAVE THEM OR CRACK THE GAS CAP TO RELEASE THE PRESSURE.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks guys, I plan on doing further research. Also my Brute isn't snorkled but I have trailered it long distances but no further than my old 06 wolverine 450 (which also has carbs, used the same fuels & never had a problem). hum..

·
Registered
197 Posts
The over full condition has nothing to do with the seal leaking. Either way the seal is cheap . Get ya 3 or 4 of them. It will leak again.
I've heard of this fuel problem before but the only time mine has done this is when I hauled it on the interstate. Also the chokes will stick open allowing the vacume from being hauled at high speeds to pull fuel into the cylinders. There is no way that fuel can just drain into the carbs sitting still. The tank mostly sits below the level of the carbs and fuel don't run up hill thru the pickup in the tank by itself. Pressure can't build up in the tank because the tank is vented to release pressure. Sounds like you need another dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks STOGI,

I spoke with 2 other dealer service dept's today and they both told me sticking needles is a common problem due to gas additives but with only 450 miles of usage I shouldn't be experiencing any deterioration of rubber parts.
I will keep everyone posted after tear-down and actual diagnosis.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got my girl (as my wife calls it) back from the dealer today. Turns out, it was only sticking needles. No deterioration. Just a good carb and fuel system cleaning, a replaced seal and a bottle of fuel activator to offset the effects of the ethanol (10%) in our gas. I felt slightly taken and I expressed that to my dealer, so he took about 30 minutes explaining the fuel system, how it works and the effects of ethanol.
He also said he'd heard rumors of a fuel inject BF for 08. I want the 1st one off the assembly line!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts