Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired an 06 Brute 750 quad with 800 miles. I drove it for the first time this winter when snow needed to be plowed. I live in village limits, so pretty small driveway. I plowed twice and must say first off, I was FAR from impressed. I plowed MUCH more MUCH faster with Polaris 250 2 stroke and 400 Xplorer 2 stroke and I BEAT the poo out of those machines, slamming into snow banks to push them back further, etc. since 1993. With that said, I wasn't rough on this Kaw at all, and it struggled to plow what I needed. As I was finishing up plowing the second time, it started popping from low to high while driving. It did this a couple times and burned out high and would grind to try to get back into low, I eventually got it to pop into gear and it'd pop back out to high, which no longer had any teeth left on the gear as it seemed...I fought it back into low again and tried to hold the shifter in gear while trying to drive...while trying to operate the full 4x4 lever and work the winch to raise/lower the blade....not fun...drove about 30 ft like that and then all the teeth on that gear seems to have stripped as well. I put it in reverse and backed it into the garage and was ready to let it sit there and rot and replace the head gasket on my Polaris so I can continue plowing snow for the season. Now I have calmed down and am wondering if it is worth replacing or rebuilding the transmission and sell the POS or back it into the scrap pile and let it sit until I take a load in. How involved is replacing the trans...are they very rebuildable or am I best to look for a used trans?

·
Super Moderator
13,746 Posts
Probably should grab a shop manual and do some reading. Then decide for yourself. Means a full rebuild as the case has to be split. Too bad. It probably started with just a loose motor mount but now after all that she now needs some new trans mission parts. Looking at around 2500-3000...which is about what the bike is worth.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Find a used trans from a 650i or a new 750 and replace the trans - always see them pop up on ebay for sale.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts