Kawasaki Brute Forum banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I've been out a number of times now and no electrical issues (y) so thanks to all who helped me...............what I have noticed is the steering linkage is loose after every ride and by ride I mean 28km in 8hrs...lots of rocks, roots and mud. My AmaricanStar tierods are always loose at the steering stem. Is there something you guys can recommend?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hey slydog,

I’m running 27 x 9 and 27 x 10 swamp lights..... yeah the nuts keep loosening even with Loctite after awhile and the steering stem mounting holes are getting bigger.....might have to sleeve them soon.....mind you I’m launching this thing in the air sometimes and it’s pretty technical where I ride or like to ride......was hoping somebody had to come up with a locking plate or something.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So just an update....I must have got some dirt in the carb and it would die off idle so in the ultrasonic the carbs went. Trying to make it run a bit better I used a 6sigma carb kit....I used the shims and raised the needle but did not drill the aux hole in the slide to open quicker, the reason is I was told it would make low speed riding very touchy and my teenage kids will probably be riding it. I also did not clip the spring I did that years ago and did not feel any benefit. I changed the jets and used the recommended ones in the kit.

Got everything back together and fixed the off idle issue #1..carb clean fixed that.

As a result of the carb adjustment.....
I did loose top speed power big time #2
Fuel consumption has increased #3
It feels not as alive as previously #4

One positive thing is it launches off the throttle climbing terrain.

I've also experienced for the first time the temp indicator come on for the first time ever.........years ago I installed a pump cover spacer with a bigger impeller and never had over heating issues(rad in stock location) funny thing is after the temp indicator appears on the display, the fan kicks on few minutes after.........is this a normal sequence to be delayed? I assume the fan would be on before the temp warning display would......

And before everyone gives me **** I do know your not supposed to make more that 1 carb change at a time lol.......I figured I would get lucky with the kit and make my old machine feel like new ha ha.

So before I take everything apart again what's your thoughts?

Thanks again and I hope all are rippin around having good times.

Shawn

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Took the carb off and found the rear diaphragm was not sliding with compressed air…..works now. Removed 1 shim from each needle. It idles, has tons of power and no temp light comes on.

Always something with these older bikes but so simple…..sometimes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hey guys hope all is well. Been ripping around on this old girl and loving it except now I have a hard time finding a good idol and it hangs revving hi to the moon. Any ideas what adjustment is needed?

·
Administrator
14,589 Posts
Hey guys hope all is well. Been ripping around on this old girl and loving it except now I have a hard time finding a good idol and it hangs revving hi to the moon. Any ideas what adjustment is needed?
Check that the slides are working as intended and the diaphragms are OK. Check that the throttle cable isn't twisted and the linkage between the two carbs is clear of problems.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yes sir…..carbs went in the ultrasonic tank, not separated and everything slides as it should, diaphragms in great condition. Linkage operates smooth. Bike runs great…..power is great from 1/4 - full throttle.
I will check the cable….do you think the air screws on the bottom need a quarter turn? I don’t have the Kawasaki tool so I have to take the carbs off.

shawn

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Haven't used my Brute at all for months as been too busy but I did get Oxford heated grips/thumb. When it warms up ill get to the cables for the idle issue.....I still have the hanging idle even at -12deg ....going to spray some brake clean around the carbs and see if that changes anything.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Hey guys…….we’ll my brute won’t start now. Got spark, got fuel. Need to do a compression test and check the valves. I was told they won’t start if the valves are out of adjustment

21 - 40 of 76 Posts