Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
buying a new quad a kfx 700 always had banshees before this .so whats the difference between the 04 06 is there any ? i can get an 04 for 3000 looks mint but dont want a headache can spend the money i save from not buying new in shocks exhaust stuff like that thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Major difference I believe was in the motor.. I think it was mid '05 they changed the rockers.. Previous rockers had 4 bolts that held them in place inside the motor.. Over zealous riders that would rev the bike up a lot before it was fully warmed up, sometimes risked having the rockers seize up on them.. Now this isn't a horrible thing in itself.. What is, when they seized up it would bust the bolts and they would fall into your engine and that caused the nightmare damage..

There is a mod to fix this.. I think it costs like 5 bux? Or you can just update it yourself to the newer style and with the new parts and it costs like 50-60bux.

Other than that, nothing drastic has changed from the '04s.. They plugged up the air screws on the carbs.. I can't think of anything else..

You should be fine with the '04.. Just warm it up properly and run good oil.. Change often... Would give you the same advice with the '06..

Good luck on your decision..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys gonna buy the 04 what mods should i do mostly trail riding some sand and are miaer plastics any good found a set in black cheap on ebay

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok, the motor is pretty much bullet proof in stock form.. Change your oil, clean the air filter.. Your good to go..

You will get used to the power and will want more.. Its a sickness.. But trail riding first mods.. Suspension and Steering stabilizer.. We've noticed tat the tie-rods are weak in some instances, so it wouldn't be a bad idear to change them out for peace of mind..

You'll be faster now in the woods..

You'll get use to the power quick enough, then you can start on the exhaust, Muzzy if you like Single, if you want duals, then HMF or if you plan to go BiggBore Kit, then LTE for top end power.. Would depend on your riding style.

We'll we've already spend like 5k of your money now :)

The Maier plastic on Ebay are normally the Blemish ones. Don't bid on too high, remember to factor in the shipping, that'll kill ya.. It seems decent enough, not sure if the ebay sets come with the warranty or not.. But from feedback its more flexible than our junk plastic (the orange and faster greeen aren't that bad, its the Limited Edition stuff that are horrible).

·
Registered
254 Posts
They say Maier uses some funky mounting brackets and has a few exposed screws. Some guys don't like that. It can also require a little trimming and adjusting to get everything to fit perfect, like the headlights.

The resistance to cracking and color options still make it appealing, though. Ditto what Pk said on watching those shipping charges!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
had miaers on my banshees one set would fit perfect next would have to be rig to fit was wondering if it was the same guess it is thanks my friend tells me his kfx tends to freewheel coming down hills is that true never road an auto before can you just gas it tostop that

·
Registered
254 Posts
You're exactly right. You'll get engine braking until the motor slows down enough to disengage the clutch. After a while you get used to blipping the throttle to keep the clutch engaged. It seems weird at first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
sell you my 06 kfx with full set of paddels mounted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bought the 04 got it for 2700 . he took off the new plastics he had and put on the old green ones that are beat up gonna change them anyway .his new ones were an ugly ass bright yellow from maier. im home for a few months dislocated my ankle broke everything in the ankle and foot at work so i have alot of free time . im gonna rip it down and clean and replace everything now. i have about 7 to 8 grand to spend gonna do the suspension first than the motor ( he said he replaced the rockers with a kit so ill take a look and see) get the frame a arms and stuff powder coated than replace wheels and plastics . rode it up my block has nice power (always can use more) the auto gonna take getting use to though and its hard to hold on with a cast up to my knee lol thanks if anybody has any suggestions on witch shocks and what exhaust and what else to do let me know :D :D :D

·
Registered
254 Posts
One suggestion on shocks: You don't have to go all-out and buy fully adjustable shocks to get a big improvement.

Rebound adjustment on the rear is very helpful. GT Thunder can rebuild your stock rear and add this adjustment for much less than the cost of a complete aftermarket shock.

Non-adjustable aftermarket fronts would be a big improvement over stock at much lower cost than fully-adjustable ones. The extra features can usually be added later for a reasonable cost.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i had work shocks on one of my banshees really liked them think im gonna go with them for the fronts do you have a web site for the rear shock do they set them up for the wieght of the rider im a big guy 6 foot 280 ill see if i can get a used rear on ebay

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats why i want to get a used rear have it rebuilt by gt thunder if there any good is gt thunder a company or a person

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well, it's a company but I think they are very small (which is good). There's one guy in particular who works on the shocks, but I don't know if he runs the whole business or just the suspension side. They build motors, too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
does anyone have a website or a phone number for them and what does it cost to have the rear done

·
Registered
254 Posts
http://www.gtthunder.com/

Cost depends on options. I think $300-400. A fully adjustable Elka would run you about $800.

[edit] Just went to the site. The rebuild is $385 and includes dual rate springs.

F

·
0 Posts
The owners name is Lazarus Sommers. He is always there, but sometimes hard to get on the phone. You may have to leave a message, and he will call back, or sometimes it is best to E-Mail him.

his E-mail is [email protected]

phone # is 330 674-7122, eastern time. I have one on my bike, and it is great.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
p ulled it all apart today thinking about buying the FPS 730 kit does it hold up what else needs to be done for it to hold up to the power. the quads completly stock no mods at all what tranny mods exhaust ? im ordering the shocks monday just want to know what else to do thanks you all have been a great help so far

1 - 19 of 19 Posts