Low Gear vs. High Gear - Page 3 - Kawasaki Brute Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 Old November 17th, 2012, 02:26 PM

I wish I could at least try my low gear, since I bought this one it doesn't seem to have low,,,, I have tried adjusting it several times, but seems to be lost,,, is this something that happens alot? Maybe the gear fell off of the shifting fork in bent? Has great reverse and high gear,,, so at least I'm ridin,,,,,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old November 17th, 2012, 03:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeum View Post
I wish I could at least try my low gear, since I bought this one it doesn't seem to have low,,,, I have tried adjusting it several times, but seems to be lost,,, is this something that happens alot? Maybe the gear fell off of the shifting fork in bent? Has great reverse and high gear,,, so at least I'm ridin,,,,,
Usually when a fork gets bent or broken it effects all the shifting. To loose just low ...well just doesn't happen too often. Its possible one of the gears got broken or stripped completely I guess. I assume you checked your rear engine mount. Many...including mine..got loose and slid out enough for the engine to drop a 1/4" which is enough to keep it from going into low on the detent.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
post #23 of 27 Old September 11th, 2013, 05:37 PM

Low is Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcfishguy View Post
If you find yourself thinking "Maybe I should be in low for this..." then you should be in low.

There's lots of low-end torque in high, but there's a lot of time where you'll be slipping the belt a lot when it's not necessary.
I use low for long, rough climbs....really rough, rocky sections,
I agree. I use it a lot on technical steep trails. This week I will be riding the Paiute trail and plan to use it a lot during that time period.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 Old September 17th, 2013, 07:52 AM

I use 4wd low a lot on steep technical black trails at hatfield. Or if doing slow technical rock riding. I agree with above....if u say to yourself "I wonder if I should be in low?", then u likely should be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
post #25 of 27 Old March 17th, 2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathandbirdjr View Post
I use low only for pulling someone out of mud and pulling my trailer. I've found that I have more luck in deep mud with high gear.
i always use low gear, for everything.. It sure saves the belt life.. I had a king quad and had almost 7000km on original belt using low gear. Yes the brute has tones of bite in hi or low gear but running in mud in high gear will almost eat the belt life..
post #26 of 27 Old January 5th, 2015, 04:06 AM

I often just leave it in 2wd high and just chew up nearly everything.

Only 4wd low for very sketchy terrain. such as climbing rock faces and coming down steep mountain terrain.
4wd High for mud and sand hills.

Also i've seen lots of people get stuck in creek crossing by using low. I prefer high, it really paddles me through it.
post #27 of 27 Old May 20th, 2019, 11:47 PM

Under 20 mph and Iím in low unless Iím cruising. Any towing or mud and I use low. Much easier on the belt and the bike. 3000 miles on my 2010 and still on the stock belt.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki Brute Forum > Riding & Racing > Riding Techniques

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Brute Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode