Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

mudlite xtr's

14K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  750brute 
#1 ·
Well, Guys this is just my thoughts..after riding a few times my new brute with the mudlites "xtr's" that everyone raves about, Im not that impressed with them. I kept on reading how smooth they are and so forth, well, after having swamplites on my other brute I kinda like the swamp lites better. Of coarse this is only my opinion, the ride is alot smoother than the "xtr's"..At least I think so, I have not mudded with the xtr's so I can not give a review on which of the two is better in the mud, I do remember the swamplites being darn good in the mud though...I might get some crap from some of you on my report but , this is just my opinion.....what do you guys think???

#3 ·
love mine wouldn't have anything else rode with alot of people that had them never heard of any problems, also heard that about regular mudlites and now 2 people that had over 2000 miles on theres no problems and still 50 percent of tread left what ever tire you get its better then stock

#4 ·
I've had the XTR's (27-14,27-11) for over 400 miles now, and they excell in the snow, and thick mud. They are average for rock crawling because of their wide tread, and are barely adequate for crossing slimy, wet logs at anything other than a 90 degree angle. They feel out of balance past 25 MPH, despite having the fronts balanced (1 took 20 ounces of weights) and they weigh over 30 pounds each. I have brand new Bighorns (27") going back on the stock wheels for summer riding, and will relegate the XTR's for winter riding only. The ride of the XTR is highly overrated, but they are strong and durable.........just my opinion! 2008 Super Black 750, clutch kit, HMF, etc.

#5 ·
i agree about the ride, balancing issue and trying to get over logs. they look good and are light years better than the stock tires but for what they cost i think if they ever wear out i will try something else. they are nice but for 140 dollar a piece they arent that great. they dig too much in the snow. i reversed the treads and they seem to float alot better. one nice thing is even though i ride alot of paved roads to get to trails they wear well. i probably put 300 miles on asphalt and they still look like new for the most part. i would like to get some fender flares for them too.

#6 ·
Re: mudlite xtr's

Well,after many hours now of use on the xtr's they are very goodin mud,however, I still think the swamplites have a smoother ride and are about 50.00 cheaper each tire compared to the xtr's...my next set will definately be the swamplights..Rob  :peace:

#7 ·

Hey Guys! I had Mudlites on my last bike 03 Praire and I did not have much luck with them. I found they punctured easily. The terrain I mostly drive in is rocky and they were just not the tire for me. Now I have friends that drive mainly on dirt/gravel areas and they seem to like them, so I guess it really depends on where you are going to ride. Currently I have Big Horns on my 08 Brute and so far they are just perfect for my style of riding.

#8 ·

I've just fitted a set of mudlites SP to my kfx700, now wether I'm not realy used to muddies... but I found them not that good, they just dig in till you hit solid ground, which is not to good on a bike with limited ground clearance, I know I have to get used to them but I didnt like the OEM itp's when I bought the kfx way back then. The other thing comming from running kenda claws, this tyres dont want to slide in or out of corners for that matter. Going to give them another try next weekend, will report the outcome of that when I have a bit more data to pass on.

#10 ·

I have 27" swamplites on all four corners and love them. I ride with a pretty big group a lot and there is every kind of 4-wheeler with all kinds of tires. I have been beat in the mud by Zilla's, Vampires and some other really big lug tires but you make sacrifices on the other end. I have also been beat on the trails and roads by bighorns and some other trail tires. BUT if you want a good all around tire that does pretty damn good in the mud, still has a smooth trail and road ride, does not punture easily (I ride through and over everything) holds the corners well, power slides really good in dirt and gravel then the Swamplites are a damn good choice! I love mine! The only complant I have is the rubber is soft enough that I lease marks all over the concrete driveway at the house everytime I pull it in and out of the shop. The wife knows every time I sneak off to go riding because she can look out and see the marks leaving the shop. BUSTED. Its all in what you do with your brute, how you ride it and what you ride in. 

#11 ·

Slum....  Funny you mention the marks. I get them on my asphalt drive way as well. The compound on the Swamps is soft. I am on my third set in two different vehicles. I love them for a good all around tire. The tear up the soft stuff and do OK in the muud but really perform on the hard pack. I do not like them for any type of rock climbing or high center tree crossings. They tend to slip when wet and do not bite as well in these situations. However you are correct you need to make some sacrifices on each tire. Only regret is the tread wears quicker compared to other tires like the XTR's.

#12 ·

Agreed! i also have had to work a little extra to get across some bigger tree crossing. Overall for a good balanced tire that gets you some of everything and preforms pretty well in all situations I have to give it a 8 out of 10!

#13 ·

I would agree ,I had them on my 1st brute , and thought they were great!! I really dont see paying almost 150.00 for the xtr's...my next set of tires will be the the swamplites in the 14" version..

#14 ·

On the 14's they will look mint.  Only benefit to more money is the durability of the XTR's. My riiding buddy has them on his Grizz. Has had the same set for over two years now and they show minimal wear as compared to my swamps.

#16 ·

<div class='quotetop'></div>
I paid 700 for rims and tires for my 27's by 14 all mounted and ready to go didn't think that was to bad for a great tire combo[/b]
I paid about the same..back in 2006 for mine too. I still love my XTRs. Not even a flat yet and still 90% of the rubber still there, and I am always on it.

#17 ·

Guys, dont get me wrong,the xtrs are great,but I for one ,dont do much mudding, so ,from my stand point the xtrs are a waste of money in my case ( this brute I have now already had them when I bought it),all I am saying is as a all around tire I think the swamplites are best and about 50.00 cheaper each one...... :peace:

#18 ·

I don't do much if any mud'n either, just the occasional hole on the trail. I will probably try something else when I ware these out. In the meantime, I still ride on lots of loose stuff, hardpack, rock, sand, shale..mountain trails, you name it and these have been just fine for me. They are better now that they are warn-in some. I hear great things about the swamplites, great tire, and good looking. Lots of happy folks. For me am looking at the Terracross or Bighorn or something like that, but at the rate these XTRs are waring out, it will be... years. By then, who knows what will be out. 

#20 ·
I have had mine for about six months now and they are getting chewed up pretty good now. No flats though. Running 3psi in them now for winter. They suck on ice and hard pack snow. The only time they are good in snow is if it is warm out to make the snow sticky. You can wheelie going through 2 feet of snow. It's fun. I like them in the mud and work well on rocks and hard pack. They seem to get chewed up pretty bad on shale, but most do. I won't buy again. Maybe try zillas or outlaw MST's.

#21 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (09brutus @ Feb 22 2009, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have had mine for about six months now and they are getting chewed up pretty good now. No flats though. Running 3psi in them now for winter. They suck on ice and hard pack snow. The only time they are good in snow is if it is warm out to make the snow sticky. You can wheelie going through 2 feet of snow. It's fun. I like them in the mud and work well on rocks and hard pack. They seem to get chewed up pretty bad on shale, but most do. I won't buy again. Maybe try zillas or outlaw MST's.[/b]
I put 1800km on my set before I sold them. I loved thoes tires to death. I had 25" swamplites before the 27" XTR's and thought the XTR's were better in every situation I put them in.
with 1800km on my set, the front tires showed 90% tread left, and the rears were about 60%

#22 ·
Had my XTR's over a year now and they are still doing very good. No flats or any problems. They do suck in the cold though. I bet I still have over an inch of tread left. My quad has about 1700 km on it now and I will most likely go through an engine before I need new tires. My buddy has Zillas and had two flats last time we were out in the mountains. They are only three months old and are worn more than mine. Some rocks cut slashes in the side walls. Not very tough!!! He is very disappointed!!!

#23 ·
Wow reading all this info on the XTR's as that was what was on my bike when I bought it. They tires & rims literally had zero miles when I bought it and they were just put on. I thought they performed superb. However, I have nothing to compare them to since I never rode with the stockers LOL.

#24 ·
Wow reading all this info on the XTR's as that was what was on my bike when I bought it. They tires & rims literally had zero miles when I bought it and they were just put on. I thought they performed superb. However, I have nothing to compare them to since I never rode with the stockers LOL.
Good tire. No neeed to get others right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.