Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

BRUTE FORCE LOWERING KIT

24K views 75 replies 21 participants last post by  dman66 
#1 ·
I purchased the lowering kit from Donnie Ratledge through BruteManKelly. From as soon as you open the box you see nothing but top quality workmanship and parts I was very impressed. The instructions were easy to follow and pretty much take away the rusted bolts you have in there since you bought the machine installation time is minimal, I took my time and it was done in about a half an hour. My first ride was today and besides it being cold it was a great afternoon to try it out. First impression was that my Brute felt a lot like my 650 Prairie that I have when I go in the trails, with my 27 XTR’s the quad can feel a little top heavy compared to others nothing you can’t get used to but this kit made it feel better to the ground. There was a lot of ice so any real high speed test couldn’t happen. I would suggest this to anyone who would like to make you Brute feel more connected to the ground. I will say though my 27’s do rub on the front bumper when the bike slams down from a wheelie but I will fix that by taken the cover off the bumper and pulling the bumper tubes forward. I believe I hit one to many trees on the right side and that side hits not the left. So don’t hesitate to email Donnie at dratledge1@yahoo.com or PM BruteManKelly for any questions.
[attachment=1354:DSCF0592.JPG][attachment=1355:DSCF0595.JPG]
[attachment=1356:DSCF0596.JPG][attachment=1357:DSCF0597.JPG]
[attachment=1358:DSCF0598.JPG]
Here is an older picture of the front and rear of my Brute before.
[attachment=1359:DSCF0459__Small_.JPG][attachment=1360:DSCF0461__Small_.JPG]

See less See more
#27 ·
<div class='quotetop'></div>
so lowering the older brutes prior to 08 does this lowering kit put the brute at roughly the same hight as the 08's.. lol and im thinkin about lifting mine as i hit the skids too often.[/b][/b]
Lowers all IRS brutes about 2 1/4" measured at the floorboard. Man you got good skids on it, so what of it hits'em. This kit will make it handle like a sport quad, instead of handling like an old 3 wheeler LOL

#28 ·
Got some kit's if ya want one.                                                                      $180.00 shipping included lower 48                                                                $185.00 shipping inluded Canada :peace2:  Site looks great!!!!Good job everyone!!!

#31 ·
so lowering the older brutes prior to 08 does this lowering kit put the brute at roughly the same hight as the 08's.. lol and im thinkin about lifting mine as i hit the skids too often.[/b]
I got some 05 shocks I'll trade ya for your 08s. It'll lift ya 1.5-2.0 ".

#32 ·
so lowering the older brutes prior to 08 does this lowering kit put the brute at roughly the same hight as the 08's.. lol and im thinkin about lifting mine as i hit the skids too often.[/b]
THE 08'S are not as low as an older brute with the lowering kit. I drove mine the other day lowered with my stock tires I also had H/L hd springs and boy she was handling like nobodys Business. would love to try some terra's or Radial mtr's that Adirondackman has I think that would really scream on the trail.

#34 ·
kits are great quality and this price is good I got a deal on it for a review and it was more then he is selling now so if your thinking of it its a great time to buy one makes your brute handle like a straight axle

#36 ·
Hey VT, for now I will be running my 27" Bi/Tri claw tires until I decide on what to get. I'm leaning towards 26" bighorns. How bad is the rubbing with 27's? On my application I will be keeping my highlifter springs installed for extra stiffness, so I'm thinking that will help with the rubbing.

#37 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nadep python @ Feb 16 2009, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey VT, for now I will be running my 27" Bi/Tri claw tires until I decide on what to get. I'm leaning towards 26" bighorns. How bad is the rubbing with 27's? On my application I will be keeping my highlifter springs installed for extra stiffness, so I'm thinking that will help with the rubbing.[/b]
Here is what I can tell ya once you have the kit on it takes about 5 min per tire to raise it or lower it. when I want to play fast I lower it and put my stockers back on and hang on even those Dunlaps will handle with that kit. Especially you having the HL springs like I have. When I know I am mudding or anything else I put my 27's back on and raise it back up.Like I said about 5 min per tire to switch back and forth. When I have my 27's on and do any big wheelies or jumps they will hit the back of the headlights and the front bumper were it mounts to the plastic cover. I was this close to selling my XTR's and buying some terras 26x14 those would be sweet. But the other guys quad got stolen.
Get the lowering kit run it with the 27's see how it feels to you I also weigh about 330 pounds so that extra weight doesn't help me.If you are going to do the endurance race again you won't be happy with the 27's.
The workmanship of the kit is spot on as well you will be pleased.Donny also has a great price going as well. :lifting:

#38 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VTprairie @ Feb 16 2009, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Here is what I can tell ya once you have the kit on it takes about 5 min per tire to raise it or lower it. when I want to play fast I lower it and put my stockers back on and hang on even those Dunlaps will handle with that kit. Especially you having the HL springs like I have. When I know I am mudding or anything else I put my 27's back on and raise it back up.Like I said about 5 min per tire to switch back and forth. When I have my 27's on and do any big wheelies or jumps they will hit the back of the headlights and the front bumper were it mounts to the plastic cover. I was this close to selling my XTR's and buying some terras 26x14 those would be sweet. But the other guys quad got stolen.
Get the lowering kit run it with the 27's see how it feels to you I also weigh about 330 pounds so that extra weight doesn't help me.If you are going to do the endurance race again you won't be happy with the 27's.
The workmanship of the kit is spot on as well you will be pleased.Donny also has a great price going as well. :lifting:[/b]
Sweet! I just sent Donny an e-mail. Now I am back in that black hole of trying to figure out what tires to run. :grrrrrr01:

#39 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nadep python @ Feb 16 2009, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sweet! I just sent Donny an e-mail. Now I am back in that black hole of trying to figure out what tires to run. :grrrrrr01:[/b]
I would think 26's or 25s with the flatest & widest footprint possible. Something with a pattern that can handle well, but can deal with all the track through at you. Just my thoughts. What were the pros running out there?

#41 ·
THANKS AGAIN VT!!!! Your the best!!! You know exactly what will work the best with the kit, and you've tried alot of diff.stuff!! Thanks for the help on the questions that I may not know. BF Freak I am busy now building kits I will reply to you in 2-3 hours, but I got one. I will be back bout 10:30 Later. Donnie

#42 ·
If money is tight run the tires you have and the stock rims and tires and mess around with them. Another tire is a Goodyear MTR radial Adirondackman has them on his prairie not as aggresive mud wise as a terracross but I think they are better for fast riding. I would run 26x14's myself.

#43 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nadep python @ Feb 16 2009, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Maxxis razr and the many kinds of ITP holeshots.[/b]
Thought so. Wonder if there is that style of tire that would fit your rims. You have 14s or 12s? Someone told me they put 12" wide tires on the front of their Brute. No rubbing. That might be great all the way around with that flat style like s razr. I'll bet Trainhorns might have some good input on tires.

#44 ·
I have 12 inch wheels. I'll figure it out, first things first is to get this baby handling right. On more than a few occasions during my race I was "pushing" into the corners and with top heaviness I had the back tires tires coming off the ground.

#45 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nadep python @ Feb 16 2009, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have 12 inch wheels. I'll figure it out, first things first is to get this baby handling right. On more than a few occasions during my race I was "pushing" into the corners and with top heaviness I had the back tires tires coming off the ground.[/b]
Yeah, probably need to mount the radiator back under the plastic...get all the weight down as low as possible. Need it to handle the corners like a go-cart or a flat tracker. But, you are right, first things first. Get healed and the lugs fixed.

#49 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nadep python @ Feb 23 2009, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sorry about that VT. Does anyone have another way to get in contact with Donny? I sent him my payment and I have not heard back from him, this was last week.[/b]
Sorry nadep python, busy as crap. Yes I got your payment, Thanks. It should ship by Saturday. Thanks Donnie DRAT FAB dratledge1@yahoo.com

#50 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dratledge1 @ Feb 23 2009, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sorry nadep python, busy as crap. Yes I got your payment, Thanks. It should ship by Saturday. Thanks Donnie DRAT FAB dratledge1@yahoo.com[/b]

No need for an apology my man, I know how running the rat race is. I figured your were busy, better than not being I guess. Looking forward to your product.

:beerchug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.