Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

Review of the Brute

13K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  jay cv 
#1 ·
No ones posted a review on a Brute?

I've had mine for over a year now and just went out to the Garage to check the KM's on it 7199km.

So far I love it, the things I have changed or have broken, I've had to replace 2 engine brake actuators due to them being faulty, 26'10'12-front 26'12'12 on the back back ITP mud lites. Got them the day of getting the Brute. Moose module because......well just because. As for parts breaking, the front end recall on the ball joints or whatever it was, but they never broke they just fixed it for free when it was in for a valve job. Looks like I need a new left seal on my rear end though after some mud riding and washing it off or when it gets dusty it looks pretty wet so its starting to leak.

Other than that, the brutes held up fine except for one incident. I live in Canada, for those of you who don't know. IT GETS COLD. Late in March, a buddy of mine came over and we went riding at like 8pm, it was pitch black, as he's watchin me play in a hole that i had to break ice to get to, the hole was peanut shaped but larger, and at one end the ice was to thick to break through so I would have to climb up from the mud and water and onto it go up and spin around on the bank and go back down. Well much to my surprise the ice kept on weakening after multiple attempts. After going back and forth on my "final" attempt I went to climb up and the ice broke, so now I was on my middle skid plate basically dangling with my exhaust now under water, and it was then I realised the water was much deeper, so as I teeter tottered on the edge of the ice, I had one option. . . reverse not a very good option because as I reversed my back end wasn't catching but my front end was pushing it off the ice, and I had broken the ice more and from where I couldn't reak the ice b4 was this "drop off" so when my front end slid off the ice it dropped under water, still in reverse I gave it some gas... too late I sunked in water, ice, weeds and everything else harmful for an engine, all the ice was now broken, I was standing up to my arm pits in ice cold water (I'm 6'2) my buddy with his Grizzly, spun around and put his quad to the edge, attatched his winch and pulled me out, as I walked out of the ice I had to step up from the hole, and this was rather odd, so now we were standing there at 8 30 pitch black -15 celcius and my quad not starting I was too cold to figure anything then, so we tried to let my winch out, nothing just a clicking noise and it wasn't the first time I had problems with it, so I got this bright idea for him to let his out I'd put mine on freespool and he would back up fast to pull it out becuase we couldn't pull it on freespool, well as he did this it broke my winch, long story short we towed it home, got it into my garage, took off my air filter lid and all that, there was water up to the lid of my intakes, so I had drained all that, drained my oil that night, the oil was white, after all that and then 5 hours of trying to start it, it needed a valve adjustment, new winch, and supposibly a new choke cable, 900cad for all this, the dealer took off all the labour bringing it down to 400cad. Still 4 valve adjustsments later its finally running back to normal.

Every valve adjustment I had got up until the one a few weeks back, would just go in a month and be impossible to start. At the last valve adjustment I had asked what was wrong why all these valve adjustments, and the mechanic had asked if I ran it hard I said ya of course why? His reply "your camshaft is purple, and soon to be red, that means that your engine has been ran three quarter to full throttle 90% of the time and he had told me that soon my engines gonna go so to drive it easy.

For the last 300km since the last Valve adjustment I've drove it easy and just started getting it back up to running it faster after letting the valves break in. Its running excellent now.

Conclusion 7200km roughly, of wheelies,speed,jumping,sinking it, and lots of mud riding, I'd say I've got my moneys worth so far. :D

Sorry for the long post but if I would have left out the story it wouldn't have made sense.
Anyone else got a review on their Brute?

The power and handling also on mine is amazing.

See less See more
#7 ·
I forgot to mention, that we had went back in the spring to look at this hole, turns out its a run off and deep down is a pipe for another drain even lower, and the bottom isn't seeable so maybe I was just standing on ice? Have to wait for the 750 and snorkels to test that out!

#8 ·
Question on my Brute!

Hello Brothers! I have an 05 BF750. Its got 26in Mudlite Radials and a winch on the front! I hear and see a lot of people lifting the front end of there machines up without a problem. Mine doesnt do this if I just gun it? Is there something I should do? Is this normal? Any suggestions would be appreciated..... I see Bertram and Mudcon wheeling all over the place! Help me....

#13 ·
Go with the moose, its plug and play, and if you decide to upgrade it, I was gonna sell mine, I had 11 people interested the first day on highlifter almost giving me what I paid!

#17 ·
In my opinion the dyna is better than the moose, but the dyna gives you jetting problems. Some have not had jetting problems but i am one that did.

#18 ·
Back on topic of the review, I had it out today for a quick ride and when I gave it a hard shot of throttle, to wheelie(after I warmed it up). The clutch made a realllllllly bad scratching sound, now this has happened to me many times but today it was super loud, almost as if i slammed it into reverse while going forward

#19 ·
Well, I haven't updated for the sole reason its been put away waiting for snow to go on the sled. So my Dad had took the Brute in to the local Can-Am dealer to see what they'll give me on a trade in on an 800, the guy who sold me the brute went from kawasaki to can-am so he's giving me a really good deal on a new 800.

That being said he also went to Kawi and they won't give ma as good of a deal as i could get for the outty, all because of the km's I have.

Its a tough decision because I've had great service on my Kawi from the dealer but for my snowmachines the service has been top notch there also, in the long run(next spring) it will all come down to which one I want to have, the price is really not that much at all, not even 1500$.

#23 ·
if i may be permited to add my 2c, even though a bit late, the wife got her BF750 in april 07, for breaking in and safety purperses, i adjusted the throtel to just less than half, every thing is stock exept for the 2inch spacers all round,
now to the point with less than half throtel it stands up quiet easily, too easily.
on the one outride when we stoped the wife was worried that on the technical section it would stand up, so i said no dont worry it wont, couz when i took delivery ot it and took it home, tried to lift the front end on tar and it would no co-operte, but after 140miles the motor had losen up enough to lift the front at will.
so i got on her BF and said look on half throtel it will not lift, and hit the trotel (half as as per breaking in) and it politly stood up to make a idiot out me.

and by the way the original post is well writen and a pleasure to read.

#24 ·
Just an update on the brute. Since my original post I've added an hmf pipe. and 27 inch executioners.

The bike has sat the almost 2 months with my valves being unset and I wanted to do them myself with help from my dad, well we got it running thursday night and man do I ever love the sound of the HMF penland. the pipe mounted up no problem still some issues with jetting but its running rich, which is better then lean so I'll live with it for now. The pipe made noticeable power in the low end, haven't had it full pin yet. The sound is good, the power is good, I love the hmf.

The 27 inch executioners and the spacers really make the brute work in the mud love the tires and their hook up in the slop.

The brutes running now, tore apart down to the carbs but she runs, and gets put together just in time for the mud run on the 25th.

#25 ·
I have a 2005 750 BF with 1000 plus hours, use it pretty much year round, lots of snow in the winter, pull my self and my wifes 650 honda out every trip in deep snow. I like the transmission break coming off steep hills the honda does not have one.
Put mudlites on last season on both machines and it pulls better in the mud and snow. The fuel milage is half of the honda, the best I can do is 70 miles on a tank. I have to carry an extra 4 gal. of fuel on long trips.
Nothing has broke yet, I do have a noise that the dealer can not fix. on hard pulls up hill it sounds like stones hitting the bottom of the machine. it started last winter and now it is doing it more and getting louder.
We are going to do a 250 mile trip in Utah and hope I can find the problem before the trip.
The 750 is a lot stronger than the other machines that we ride with. On steep up hill rock crawling it is light on the front end, you can flip it over easier than some of the longer wheel base machines.
It is hard to start in the morning, wish it was fuel injected, we go from 5,000 feet to 12,000 plus , summer and winter
and no matter how we jet the carb it is hard to start.,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.