Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

Super ATV EZ Steer Power Steering Kit Review

34K views 68 replies 7 participants last post by  NMKAWIERIDER 
#1 ·
Wanted to post a small review on this kit. Bought the kid used from a fellow member after he got a 12+. I did my research, and ready up on any problems that occurred. Figured I'd take the chance used, even though Super ATV has dropped the price to 520 shipped(says sale, but its been like that since May), and includes a 3 year warranty (with deductibles for parts).

Install wasn't too bad. Instructions were good. I took the front fenders off to make it easier, and just get in there and look around as i haven't had to do so yet. Everything is clearly marked and goes where it should. Have to make sure motor doesn't touch spring, and is placed correctly, but i guess that's common sense (but not mentioned in instructions). I also put NMKawieriders heat shield mod on at time of install.

Once hooked up, my diagnostic light never blinked when you turned the key on like it said. This put doubts in my mind has i bought used and it wasn't working correctly. I tested it out that night but only on my driveway and i didn't think it was working properly. Once i took it out in the woods the next day it was working and all was good. The diagnostic light still doesn't work (I think Wee Willy may have had the same problem).

Went for a full weekend of camping/riding. Overall impression is great. It's so much easier to turn, works at advertised. The bump steer is pretty much gone. Slow, tight turns are a breeze. Even starting wedged up in rocks with the wheel turned or turning was easy.

I did some high speed (40+) on dirt roads. I had no problems with over sensitivity or any wobbling or alignment issues.

Went through some light mud and water deep enough to submerge the motor with no problems.

Weekend wasn't overly hot, but had a day or 2 that i felt the quad cooking my legs pretty good. Didn't seem to have an effect on the Power Steering.

I haven't gone back in to double check all my bolts, as recommended by other members, but i will do that this weekend.

See less See more
#42 ·
I would contact the seller see what he may willing to do to help in case you have problems. I know I have helped a couple of guys out that have bought my 4wd systems from people parting out bikes
An talk to Craig at satv he's good to work with

#43 ·
Got first fault code 25 over the weekend trying to get up with ez steer guru at satv to see what he thinks

#44 ·
I talked with kraig today at satv he said my low power problem I had in the past could have damaged the motor or torque sensor on the unit an sent me a troubleshooting guide also said they have extended the warranty to 3 yes so I'm good till feb2016

#45 ·
I finally got the chance to get the Brute out of the shop and on the trail with the new 380 EZSteer system. I have to say..what an improvement over the old system! It's steady, quick reacting, smooth, consistent, powerful and predictable. And I fully expected this unit to use more power so I was watching the battery voltage on my Voyager and to my surprise, it didn't use as much as the old system! Voltage stayed between 14.2 and 14.4 all the time. Of course this was on open trails and mostly above say 10mph+ but still..the old system would pull it down into the low 13s. And...the motor only got slightly warm where the old one would be so hot you couldn't hold on to it....and no slack in the bars either....and no flopping back and forth of the front tires like the old system did.

I think it may work as good as the factory units. So, it looks like it's a winner! Can't wait to get it up to the mountains.

I also have to say what a pleasure it always is to be on the old Brute. Nothing like it. Glad I still have the old girl.

#48 ·
couldnt ask for it to work any better
did you hook the speed sensor wire up on the new unit
i hooked it up with a blade connector but really havent had a chance to see if it made a difference in control at high speeds yrt
most all of our riding is slow paced

#49 ·
couldnt ask for it to work any better
did you hook the speed sensor wire up on the new unit
i hooked it up with a blade connector but really havent had a chance to see if it made a difference in control at high speeds yrt
most all of our riding is slow paced
No, Mine didn't come with any instructions so I just did it like the other one and left the.."infamous".. blue wire off and taped-up. I took mine up to about 45 on the trails and it seemed fine. I like it nice and easy..lol

Hay just to confirm, the motor isn't positioned where the old one was..right? It's more..straight out now then forward next to the frame.

#52 ·
UPDATE: 2 years after installing used first Gen (220w) PS

My Control unit died. It was not outputting voltage to the motor. Had to buy another one from SATV at $225.

Had some bolts come loose on the stem, and re-tightened them.

Other than that, still working good. I contemplated going with a full new system, but 700 vs 225, i couldn't do it. They didn't offer me any discount either.

#53 ·
I just barely got in on the discounted new system for old system owners. 100 bucks and send back in the old system. The new system is AWSEOME! Just like a factory unit. I was never so happy to get rid of the old system. 3 controlers, two main units, always over heated and drained the battery...not so with the 380W system. Perfect!

#55 ·
i thought i had posted on this back in mid 2015

#57 ·
i thought so an i think i even sent you a pm about it can not remember but i didnt find the post on this thread should have started a new one

#58 ·
Well damn. What's done is done.

Thanks for the effort.

#59 ·
Does anyone know the the light sequences and what they mean?

When you turn the key on, what's the light supposed to do?

Once running, what's the light supposed to do.

I was just wondering, as my PS can still be finicky once in awhile, and wanted to see if it was flashing an error code.

Since i got the new controller, i notice it's real picky as to if it turns on the PS when i start the atv. If you are putting any pressure on the bars, it doesn't activate for some reason. But if i'm more careful and use the foot brake, it's fine.

Always something.

#61 ·
I guess i have to give SATV a call. It continuously flashing as of yesterday.

thanks

#62 ·
SATV said it should be like this with the key turned on:

2-3 long Blinks
followed by
0-6 short blinks

Shouldn't be blinking continuously, specifically while running.

#64 ·
UPDATE:

I called SATV, first guy gave me the light sequence. Checked, and mine was doing something wrong.

I called back the next day, different guy told me that they weren't dealing with the old kits anymore, and wanted to get me the new 380W kit. Since I already spent 200 on the controller over the summer, i paid 100 and they sent me a brand new 380W kit.

Installed it, and its great, big difference to the 220W kit. I was outta alignment so i did that. I followed NMKawierider's vid, and everything worked good except for my execution, haha.

I have to redo it this weekend, i measured the Toe at the sidewall where it sticks out the farthest, instead of the whole tire. Oh well.

Thanks for the help fellas.

#68 ·
Cool, thanks... I read earlier in the thread that someone had hooked it up and was curious as to results... I have little confidence talking to the guys over at SuperAtv. Twice now I have had bewildering conversations with "techs" that were clueless to their product. The one today said the he didn't even know there was a kit for the Brute!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.