Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

EZ-Steer EPS for the Brute

26K views 139 replies 13 participants last post by  NMKAWIERIDER 
#1 ·
Rode it a few hours yeterday. Loved it. This is what all older IRS Brutes needed.

Here's a..rather lengthy video review. Sorry. Cut 2.5 hours down to like 15 minutes. Kick it up to HD.

EZ Steer on Brute Test - YouTube

#2 ·
Fun, fun, fun. Sounds like you're hooked on EPS! Try a non-EPS Brute in a couple of months - you won't be able to stand it.:D

One thing that worries me is riders with less experience tend to get lulled into relaxing their grip and even one-handed steering - very dangerous. It doesn't bump steer very often, but it will eventually and if you don't have a sollid grip, you'll be very sorry.

#6 ·
Nice Vid Report, looks like the EZ-steer is a Winner, I bet they sell a ton of them after your Video gets out. Too bad there aren't any good rough rocky sections like in the Jemez Mountains to see how well it does w/rocks, you know a few of the trails I mean.
50mph is all you did but that terrain was flying by, looked like a great afternoon for a test ride and almost had the entire area to yourself..

#8 ·
great video, i like mine more everytime i ride it

#10 ·
Thanks NM, good review!

I called SuperATV and spoke with Corey? I think it was a couple days ago, I'm trying to talk my boss into buying an EPS for his Razr with me but he's a little concerned (and maybe rightfully so) about mud and water wreaking havoc on the system.

I see you've got a nice dry terrain out there to ride, anyone have any time/experience in a wetter/muddier environment with one of these EPS systems? My BF needs PS bad, but I'd of course want it to be consistent and reliable, not affected by the elements

#11 ·
Well, I can say everything looks very water-tight. Seals on all unit and controller connections and the unit itself had HD seals on the shafts and where the wires enter the unit so...I wouldn't be too concerned. I read as many reviews as I could from other forums where they are under water and abused and no one had a *****.

#12 ·
have not got to a mud hole yet but have stuck the front in i pond water covering motor an controller an let it set for about 30 min, with no problems

#14 ·
NMK, have seen your EZ Vid on other Forums, you are becoming a Star, lol.
Allot of the viewers are impressed with the Vid even if the EZ they need isn't for a Brute, they know it improved the Brute that much it will do the same for there's.
Too bad there isn't a EZ kit for the Prairie 650/700s,BF650sra, now there is a hard steering animal.

#20 ·
Wow...did I miss this one. The straight zerk works fine.

OK, I have developed a problem with my EZ Steer. It wants to turn left all the time. Something had happened to the torque bar system. I did a video and sent it to SuperATV and I am sure they will take care of it but in the meantime, it looks like the torque sensor is getting very hot being that close to the front exhaust. You guys with these probably better get some heat wrap or something and get it between it and the pipe. Not for sure this is the cause, but its likely it is.

See SWBF..probably good yours isn't on yet...we get to work the bugs out first..

EZSteer problem - YouTube

#21 ·
Wow...did I miss this one. The straight zerk works fine.

OK, I have developed a problem with my EZ Steer. It wants to turn left all the time. Something had happened to the torque bar system. I did a video and sent it to SuperATV and I am sure they will take care of it but in the meantime, it looks like the torque sensor is getting very hot being that close to the front exhaust. You guys with these probably better get some heat wrap or something and get it between it and the pipe. Not for sure this is the cause, but its likely it is.

See SWBF..probably good yours isn't on yet...we get to work the bugs out first..

EZSteer problem - YouTube
Good input.
I need to order some more high heat tape anyway from Jeg's, I'll get it ordered for sure now.

Also, maybe a Starter wrap would do the trick for the EZ-Steer. I used one once when I put headers on one of my Fords, never had a problem with the starter after I wrapped the starter with that heat wrap.
Something like this:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Taylor/895/2541/10002/-1?parentProductId=

#22 ·
Just wondering if you can unplug the EPS and still use the Brute. This is something that might happen on the trail?

#24 ·
i loo0ked at mine ,it has 4 1/2in to the closest point of the torque bar to front meader ,with the hmf full system ,hope i will be allright ,not going to do any mods yet if theres a heat problem ,of any kind we need to know ,also compared to stock front header pipe an that was real close

#25 ·
Took the second unit out for a shake down run today. Put about 30 miles on it. All worked well. Something I noticed was that in slower trails with a lot of turns it pulls the battery voltage below 13 volts and when it does, you can feel the assist drop off. But as long as the tech is above 4k, it won't fall below 13.4 volts and it works at full power. How do I know the battery voltage? My trailtech voyager monitors lots of things...including battery voltage.

#26 ·
Nice report, keep them coming.

When Trailtech brings out a updated Trailtech GPS in color with all of the extras already included and better mapping, would be a easy switch over, at least for me.
But, I really like my trailtech I am now using as I use it more to track what the motor is doing Vs the gps.

#27 ·
Nice report, keep them coming.

When Trailtech brings out a updated Trailtech GPS in color with all of the extras already included and better mapping, would be a easy switch over, at least for me.
But, I really like my trailtech I am now using as I use it more to track what the motor is doing Vs the gps.
Kind of watched several things today that I don't usualy. Nice to have that info.

#30 · (Edited)
You guys know me by now that I seem to see things that probably don't matter much but do to me and I go a bit overboard on addressing this stuff like the extra mounting and heat shield.

Well, one thing I did notice was that this unit pulls about 10 amps at full load and at slower speeds it pulls the battery down from 14.2 volts to 12.6 in a hurry. At the lower voltage the assist drops off enough to feel. So when I am crawling up some rocky-slow trail turning hard to get around boulders, its going to start feeling like manual steering again (probably not but that's what I keep telling myself). To cure that it needs a better battery and charging system. Step-1 is to buy a better battery which I just did with a new Shorai battery. It has 315 CCA and 21AH where the OE has 200CCA and 12AH. That's quite a bit better storage then the OE and charged well should be a good difference through that slow stuff. Its way lighter too.. Step-2 is a high-output stator. RM Stator has one that puts out 20% more then the OEM so that should do it just fine. I will wait on it until after my Sipipu trip to see if I really need it. If so, its next. Yeah I know...it never ends for me. Still cheaper then a new one!

#31 ·
i havent noticed any draw that interfeared with the steering ,i had a renegade with the front end removed hooked to my lift bar fri to move it to the scrap pile, with that extra weight on it ,it still worked like it should

#32 · (Edited)
i havent noticed any draw that interfeared with the steering ,i had a renegade with the front end removed hooked to my lift bar fri to move it to the scrap pile, with that extra weight on it ,it still worked like it should
The draw or amp load is defiantly there but maybe it's my battery that's starting to get weak and due for replacement. It did it with both units anyway and it is about four years old now.... come to think of it..Seems like yesterday when I replaced it..

#33 ·
The electrical draw worries me on the Teryx, but I haven't heard of any problems. It has a bigger battery though and I think more output. One of the features on the 2012 Brute was:

New 33.5 Amp alternator offers increased output to help ensure sufficient current to operate the EPS and other electrical systems. Regulator capacity was also increased accordingly

I wonder if the '12 alternator would go on an '06? I doubt you'll need anything more than the battery. I always carry jumper cables since I don't have a pull starter.

#34 ·
I might look into that. They did have to increase the output for the addition of the PS and still be able to put all the normal stuff people do for the 12+. At about a 10 amp draw, that's about all the older Brutes have extra. If I have my head lights on they dim way down. I can run my headlights and my backup light...which pulls another 4 amps and it never pulls the charging voltage down below 13.6. But add the full load of the PS and it drops to 12.2 volts. The PS alone takes it to 12.8.

I am hoping a better battery will be the ticket but if not...well I needed a better battery anyway..lol

I'm sure the Teryx will be just fine.

#35 · (Edited)
Well, I just got and installed my new Shorai Battery. And....WOW I never had my starter turn over so fast...and start so quick after sitting two weeks. And...the EZ Steer at full load doesn't even begin to drop the voltage...in fact, I can have everything on, high headlights, tail light, stop light, backup light and fully turning the EZ Steer and it doesn't drop it from 13.9 volts. Doesn't look like I'll be needing that HD Stator after all.

A lot of bucks for this battery but I got to say, this is different from anything I ever had. Hell, even just sitting there not running it shows to have 13.3 volts...and when you hit the starter...it don't budge from 13.3. The old battery went fron 12.2 to 11.4 cranking. Hitting the starter button with this battery is like hitting an air starter...almost scared me the first time...lol

All kidding aside, this battery exceeded my expectations by at least twice.

Update:
Just charged it for an hour sense I didn't before installing it. Now it sits with 14.2 volts without even running. Unreal...

#36 ·
is the shorai the 1 you need a special charger for,sounds like a good move ,i have problems with the draw caused by my winch ,unless you keep the rpm up it will pull it till it stalls out

#37 ·
They do sell a special charger but you can use any 2 amp charger or tender, just not one that has a de-sulfate mode or one that can't be turned off. Those pulse a lead-acid battery with high amps to help clear sulfatation but in a lithium-ion battery it will destroy them.

These have a lot more reserve and can take a much higher draw for a lot longer but if the draw exceeds the input, at some point the power will fall off. I think our wenches pull close to what the starters do so its probably a good idea even with this battery to take a breather every minute or two and let the alternator catch up a little....and let the motor cool down.:rolleyes:

#40 ·
My battery (stock) failed on a 5 day campout just last week. Odd I only started having problems with the Battery after a ride, these batteries never seem to fail while parked in the garage, lol.

TexasRZR just happened to carry along a set of jumper cables which he gave to me before he left. Next three days the Brute started fine but by Monday it was a dead again, had to push the Brute out of my Truck, wouldn't even take a charge overnite, at least not enough of a charge to start.
Found the same Shorai as NMK for $179 shipped, it has been ordered, today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.