Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

Derale Oil Filter Adapter

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  SWBF900 
#1 ·
Just a note to those contemplating an oil cooler addition. I got mine nearly done and ran into a problem with the adapter. I purchased the Derale Thermostatic Model D25732. The problem is that the adapter is designed for 2 3/4" gaskets and the stock filter gasket is 2 1/2" and too small to seal properly and it leaks. That adapter will "only" accomodate a PH3950 or cross reference filters that are too big in diameter to mount on the adapter as it hits the engine case above. Had to go back and ordered the Low Profile D25772 which takes filter gaskets 2 1/2" and 2 3/4". No thermostat.

#3 ·
Live and Learn!

Living's the hard part. Called etrailer and their response was immediate and helpful. The item description did mention 2 3/4" gasket. Missed it. Also should have checked all the fitments right away. Didn't. Ordered the right one on Thursday and it came UPS ground the day after. It'll keep me off the streets, but not for long.

:yeahbaby01:

#5 ·
Need one?

I could only find one filter that works with the thermostatic model as it requires a 2 3/4 in. gasket. The filer has a 3.6" body diameter and didn't have clearance on my Brute. I still have it if you want one for the shipping? I'll look up the filter number. Sam

#6 ·
Filter Adapter

The Derale 25732 takes a WIX51381. Any cross reference comes up with the same sized filter. 2.80" gasket and a body diameter of 3.660" which is too big for my Brute engine clearance. Can't find any other 20mmX1.5 filter that will seal. They all have 2.5" gaskets and the adapter requires a 2.75". Spoke with Etrailer tech and he suggested contacting Derale about a conversion mount from 20mm to another more common size. I opted to go with the 25772 and it works fine in warm and cold conditions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.