Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

Review: GBC Grim Reaper Tires

21K views 47 replies 10 participants last post by  NMKAWIERIDER 
#1 · (Edited)
GBC Grim Reaper Review:

I only got a chance to put about 40 miles on them but did enough testing to give a small review.

Ride:
I was concerned that as with my previous 8-ply tires, the ride would be hard and beating as the Bajas were not very flexible. This is not the case with the GRs even on 14” wheels. The sidewalls and thread areas are very flexible and the ride was increasable. I found I could sit over rough sections of trail and feel like I was on a whole new machine…almost like a Polaris. Unreal for a Brute to feel this way. Keep in mind I am running all at 4.5psi.

Steering Ease:
This is a big issue for me. In short-out of this world compared to all the previous tires I have had. Even sitting still it feels a little like having power steering. Rode the whole day had no negative effect on my bad shoulder.. in fact, it actually felt better.

High Speed:
Took it out on the open road to see where it would start to get that front end wobble as most aftermarket tires have. Opened it on the straight and gave it a few seconds before looking down at the speedometer. To my shock and surprise it already showed 60mph and climbing and there was no shake or wobble from any tire. In a knee-jerk reaction I backed-off the throttle for a second and cursed at 62. Then decided to see what she had so on up to the rev limiter we went. 66mph was it. This was the fastest I have been with this Brute sense it was new with the stock tires. It was like I was on a set of balanced Michelins. This was very unexpected so a big bonus for me.

Traction:
I started out at the bottom of some sand hills that I usually have to have a bit of a run at yet not too steep that it wouldn’t be a problem to back down if I didn’t make it. Wanted to see where the limits were in 2 and 4 wheel drive before taking on real hills that you either made it..or you were F’ed. So in 2wd I started taking average slow runs to see where too slow would be. I found that point to be under 3mph with a start already with the noise pointing up hill. This was actually far better then the XTRs. Backed it back down to the same spot and put it in 4wd and did the same run. Went over the top without hardly slipping a wheel. So, in short, these climb better in 2wd then any other tire I have had in 4wd. This clip from later that day was of one of the hills you better make. I hit it like I used to with the old tires which was overkill.

On the trails- with the center rib I expected to loose some of the power-sliding that the others let me have and yes, I did…at least it takes quite a bit more power to slide as it likes to stay straighter. I also found that with other tires, when I pinned it, the tires would just spin-up. Not these so much. They do hook-up better and you feel the engine load and the pull on your hand as it accelerates in the trail and the hills. A welcome feel for any Brute owner but be careful, you will find yourself going fast sooner then you did before. A few times I almost got myself in trouble flying down the arroyos and almost had an issue when I needed to make a fast hard corner. But these do have good bi-directional traction so stopping is quicker then with most other tires too. I also found that the center rib design helped a lot in the soft bottoms of the arroyos as it acts like a rudder and helps steering react quicker in turns. Something my XTRs failed me several years ago and caused me to clip a wall flipping my Brute on its side. I also think the 100% constant contact with the ground the center design has is a big factor. Also I think the non-smooth, stagered bars and tread design helps hold the bite better as well.

Have not had them in the mud or snow yet but I feel they will perform well beyond my needs here in NM.

We did a a few inches of snow on the west masa. Not enough for a real test but a chance to see how they climbed on packed snow and broke-trail on about 3". No complaints. They stayed on top when you wanted them to and tore-in when you needed them to. Cleaned out well too.

In summary, so far these tires have not presented anything I have not liked or not welcomed. It’s only been 40 miles, but I think it’s safe to say if they keep doing what they are doing, these well be the first set of tires I actually wear out and replace with exactly the same thing again.

Here's some photos and a walk a round video:

Grim Reaper Photos

More Photos Cleaned up

Grim Reaper Walk Around Video

3/6/12 Update: Not realy a tire issue but I have been noticing the rear tires loosing a pound of air every two weeks but not the fronts....wierd. Though it has to be beed leaks so today I pulled one off and tested it, Sure enough there was several so small you had to look with a magnifying glass to see the bubbles. Marked them on the tire and broke it down. There I found slight scratches my tire machine had made on the rim across the beed area in those locations. Cleaned them up again and sealed both sides with beed sealer. Leaks gone. So...the beeds are a little fussy. Make sure you don't have any scratches or at least have some beed sealer on hand and take them to 30psi first even though the beed has poped just to make sure its seated all the way. DO NOT exceed 35psi. Then take them back to 4-5psi.

120 miles so far now. Still love these tires! :D

Here is a little video from the people I bought them from - Pure Off Road

GBC Grim Reaper ATV Tires - YouTube

See less See more
#2 ·
Great review! My buddy was asking me for recommendations for a new tire for his Polaris RZR. I told him that a lot of RZR guys go with Bighorns, but that you had mentioned the Grim Reaper as being a very good tire. I am going to call him tonight and tell him that an 8 ply Grim Reaper should be a fantastic tire for the RZR.

BTW...... How the heck do you keep the Brute looking like new? Your quad looks awesome. :)

#3 · (Edited)
Great review! My buddy was asking me for recommendations for a new tire for his Polaris RZR. I told him that a lot of RZR guys go with Bighorns, but that you had mentioned the Grim Reaper as being a very good tire. I am going to call him tonight and tell him that an 8 ply Grim Reaper should be a fantastic tire for the RZR.

BTW...... How the heck do you keep the Brute looking like new? Your quad looks awesome. :)
LOl...I just power wash it after every ride and use SC1 silicone detailer. I just took some new pics and a walk around video with it all detailed. I'll post them in the review in a bit.

#4 ·
Hey NMKAWIERIDER, I know this is off topic but I was watching your vids and love your rear trunk/gas can set up. Where did you get it and who makes it? Thanks

#5 ·
Hey NMKAWIERIDER, I know this is off topic but I was watching your vids and love your rear trunk/gas can set up. Where did you get it and who makes it? Thanks
The trunk is a Kimpex but I think Quadboss bought them out. Here is a link where I bought mine:

Quadboss Back Country Trunk w/Rails - ATV Direct - ATV Tires and More - www.4atvtires.com

And the fuel paxs are Roto Pax 1-gal. I used my Mounts from my 4-gal rack flat pack to mount them to the box. Here is a link to Roto Pax:

Fuel Cans : Gas Pack : Gasoline Containers : RotopaX.com

#6 · (Edited)
A little snow for the GRs

I was able to find a little snow to play with the other day. The GRs did good. Stayed on top when I needed them to and cut in and through when needed.. as well as kept themselves cleaned out...stuff was flying everywhere....lol .Here are a few short clips. The last section of fresh was only about 4" deep and was starting to melt but gave me the best idea how they would do in the real thing. I'm still very happy.

#9 ·
I was able to find a little snow to play with the other day. The GRs did good. Stayed on top when I needed them to and cut in and through when needed.. as well as kept themselves cleaned out...stuff was flying everywhere....lol .Here are a few short clips. The last section of fresh was only about 4" deep and was starting to melt but gave me the best idea how they would do in the real thing. I'm still very happy.

Grim Reapers in the snow 1 3 11.mov - YouTube
Watch the Vid, strange to still see some Snow on the west side.
I see you still look back now and then, just checking to see if the cam is still there?:eek:

#7 ·
One thing I did notice...several times...was that although this increased traction is a great thing, and not only do you loose some of that "floating back-end", but you get a lot more lift on the front end.. and sometimes when you want to powerslide through a turn, the front end is off the ground or is close enough to being off the ground that she won't turn. So, I have to make sure I'm pointing in the direction I want when I get on it.. otherwise...its pucker-time. :eek:

#11 ·
Nice review! The GRs were definitely a contender when I was debating on what to buy. If I wear these BHs out, I'll most likely try a GBC tire next. Either the GR or Dirt Commander. Both look like great tires.

#12 ·
The BigHorns last sooooo long It will be a while. I think the GRs compound is a little softer and probably won't last as long but as long as it keeps giving me this smooth ride and grip...I don't care...lol Besides, here lately I have only been putting less the 600 miles a year on the Brute so I'm pretty sure they will be on it when I trade it in for my new one.

#14 ·
Never had the BigHorns. But I have rode a KQ with them and the GRs steer way easier, have about 15% better traction, much faster recation time in soft or sands conditions because of the center rub design and the ride as in smoother is in my opinion at least 20% nicer then the BHs between 4 & 5 lbs.

#24 ·
I guess If it didn't puncture all the way through that's good however I guess the ultimate goal is so that nothing goes into the tire easily

#29 ·
Ordered a set of 27" Grim Reapers for my Teryx4 today. Researched and debated for what seems like months! I'll post pics when I get them put on.

#43 ·
Got it, so go with these on all 4 corners:
14x7 5+2
or
14x8 5+3 (but will have a 1" stick out from fender and may need flares)

but either way, the Grim Reapers in 26"x14 only come 9" or 11"... not 10"
one thing after another.

Their 25" are the only ones that come in 10" but those are strictly for 12" wheels.

#45 · (Edited)
If we stick with the GR 26x9 fronts and 26x11back tires...
what if we just go with a 14x7 rim all the way around? Either 4+3 or 5+2

the 7" width is still fine for the 11" GMs, right? or is there a higher chance of a bead break?

Hell, maybe I'll just stick with the stock 12" wheels... will the 26x9 fronts and 26x11 rears cause any rub issues or anything? I've read 26x12s rub, but nothing on 26x11s

Thanks again!

#46 ·
Just like you can't put the same width tires on different width wheels, can't put different width tires on same side wheels and expect the same diameter. You can however just keep your same OE wheels and put 26x 9s/11s on them with no issues...no rubbing. No wider though. 12" will rub, but not 11s. I once put 26x12x12s on my stock wheels...looked real puchie and they rubbed the tank pan and muffler. I then bought some Douglas wheels and those same 12/9" wide tires on just 7" wheels...wow talk about puch on the bead. Racelines...shitty tires. Gave them to a riding buddy that had bald tires..better then what he had. Here's a pic:

#48 ·
Been so long I don't remember but it's like most other manufacturers in that it's not a straight as like a 5+2. The rears may be an 8" but the offset is like 1.25 out the rest in so something like 6.75+1.25 and the fronts may be 7s but I think they may be 6" with the same out so..4.75+1.25. You can get the metric number off the back along with the width between the bead surfaces and use one of many converters on the web for the exact amount.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.