Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

Which tire and will they fit???

Tags
bighorn gbc
17K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Coolwizard 
#1 ·
Down to two tires.......looking at Maxxis bighorns and GBC grim reapers. I want 26x10" gr all the way around but worried about 10" tire fitting on the stock front rim of my 2011 BF 750i. I also like the 26" bighorns but don't think the rear 12" tire in that setup will fit without rubbing. It's looking like my best bet is to go with 25" bh since they run big anyways but hate the look of the 8" tire up front. I'll probably just go with that unless anyone can convince me either would fit. I will also be mounting the new tires on the stock wheels.

#2 ·
Any 12" wide on stock wheel will rub in the rear. 10" wide all the way around on stock wheels will be fine. I'd do the Grim Reapers. Great tire, great reviews. Bighorns are good, but you will have some side-slide because of their construction. I have a set of 26x11x14 BajaCross all the way around on 8" ITP SS112s. No rubbing issues at all. So don't worry about it. Overall, I think you will be happier with the GRs. The only thing that concerns me is I think the stock Brute front wheels are 6" where the rears are 7"...or something like that.

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick response! I figured as much with the rear tires. I actually have 26x10 Kenda Executioners all the way around right now so I know they will physically (which I should of stated before) but I guess I'm really wondering that even though they fit should I continue to run this set up without being worried about bead leaks and/or the tire riding differently? Changing tires is getting expensive and I want to make sure whatever I get will fit (properly) and not give me any problems going forward.

#4 ·
Well, realisticly, you shouldn't put anything wider on a 7" wheel then a 10" wide tire...but people do, and the front ends of Brutes do take extra beating with the wider tires then 9s because of the extra force required to turn and the weight along with the ratation of the extra mass. Ball joints, tierod ends, steering bushings, wheel bearings and a-arm bushing all do wear faster with larger and heavier tires.

Is it worth it? That's a question only the owner can answer.

Now for me, if it wasn't that my 11s kill my shoulders after a long ride because of how hard they are to turn, I would have them on right now...but I don't. I have my other set on with 12s in back and 9s in front. Feels like power steering compaired to the 11s....lol

#5 · (Edited)
I went through this when I was tire shopping...I have a long-winded thread on here with the same questions.

It would have been so nice to have a cooperative dealer that would be willing to let you try them or some way to test-fit tires. $500-$600 for a set of tires you can't use isn't cheap...

I wanted to go with the 26" horns as well, but people in the know said that they would rub (26x12x12). (Like that MN guy above me...hehe)
Some people (like you) say you're running a 12" tire and it's not rubbing. I get the feeling that it would depend on the tires..not all 12" wide tires are the same actual width. Bighorns, I can see rubbing. The local dealer selling the Ceros in a 26x11x12 said that if a 12" horn runs, then the 11" Ceros would rub, because the tread is real flat and actually wider than a 12" wide bighorn. Why must it be so complicated!!?? :p

Anyway, in the big picture, the 26 is only 1" taller than the 25..and that's half an inch on the top and half an inch on the bottom...in actual ground clearance, it's a half inch......

I also read that the weight increase from a 25 to a 26 bighorn was a very large jump, compared to say a 26 to a 27.

Putting on spacers to fit a 26 didn't make sense to me, because it would mean changing the opening on two different sheds (home and camp) and having to get the back of my trailer widened. Just wasn't worth it right now.

#8 ·
Well I purchased the Executioners hoping to find more mud than I did and found myself riding mostly trails with minimal mud. In NH we have very rocky and root filled trails especially in the White mountains where we have hundreds of miles of old logging roads. An all terrain trail tire is what I need for this area for sure. I think I may just go with the safe bet: Stock size (they're actually larger) Bighorns. Slightly less wear and tear on the quad and a proven tire. Do like the looks of those Grim Reapers though! Another tire that caught my eye was the Outlaw MSTs even though they are not radials. Seen lots of good reviews on them and they seem like they'd hold there own in the rocky trails.....................?

#10 ·
Did I read the OEM wheel specs right??? Both front and rear are 12/7, 5+2? I know they come stock with different size tires but the wheels are not the same size are they? If so I would have to worry about the 10" tire up front? Confused.......

#14 ·
My '08 and my '10 have the same offset on the stock rims. I've seen an '11 and some older brutes. They look the same to me but I've never measured them. ....maybe it's a difference with the shocks?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.