Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

REVIEW: RICOCHET SKID PLATES

16K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  doug2013 
#1 · (Edited)

Review Of The Ricochet Off-Road Armor For
the 05-07 Kawasaki Brute Force

I would like to thank Gearslayer and Ricochet for the opportunity to do a review on this fine product.

First – Shipping. Within three working days of placing the order I had it sitting at my front door. Incredible!

First look; Clean, well packaged and organized within several individual packages placed within one larger as a set. Mounting parts for the sections were attached to their parts. Nice! Instruction were easy and clear.
Now, if you were under the impression that Ricochet Armor was something like sheet metal, you couldn’t be more wrong. All parts of this kit are constructed of 5/32 high-grade aircraft aluminum. Light weight yet stronger then any other standard grade plates out there.

Now that’s true Armor!!

Ricochet uses HD steel clips that go over the framework and taper-headed torx bolts to secure the plates to the vehicle. This type of head should reduce being caught and damaged while sliding over objects. They even provide the tool you will need for installing although one might consider using a torx socket on a ratchet.

Parts check; All parts were there with all mounting pieces.

Installation; Simple and straight forward. Although you can do this on the ground, it is much easier to lift the front end up. If you do it this way, be sure to use and additional device to secure it up. I used my wench and a come-a-long for safety.
Once up, we are reminded why we need something other then what came on it. I didn’t realize how beaten the old plastics had become.

Simply take off all your old stuff. This might be a good time to give it a power wash too. With nothing left on, they will look like this.

Start at the tail end and work your way back up. The clamps and bolts fit perfectly. Leave them a little loose until you and the complete assembly in place with all bolts. Check alignment and tighten down. They recommend a drop of oil in all the captured nuts as they are self locking and are a bit tough dry. I too recommend this. Just lay them out on the bench and give then all a drop.
When done, your Brute will look like this.

As you can see, it also protects the rear driveline area. Something the plastics didn’t to. I was impressed with the construction, the fit and finish and how tight it all came together. There sure won’t be any rattles with this one. This armor is so tough, I can’t imagine taking an impact that could dent them. If it were to happen, I sure don’t want to be the one riding it.
Back on the ground, here are a few more photos.

Now I just need a nice bumper to go with it...right?. I’ll do some rock-crawling in the next few weeks and let you know how it works. I am very sure my Brute has never been so well protected.

Ricochet Offroad Armor, a great product, built right here in the USA and trusted by professionals around the world.

Do your Brute a favor and get a set!

See less See more
#3 ·
Excellent review! Good looking set of skids! I ever get the chance to get another set This is them!

#4 ·
wicked skid plates i ride some rocky areas and i put some nasty gashes in them.. only thing id like to see is foot well protectors like the grizzly 700 got

#5 ·
Great review and they look awesome. Keep us posted.

#8 · (Edited)
Not for sure, but as I recall, the whole box they came in weighed about 30- 35lbs...I think. I'm sure if you sent an email to them they could tell you. I don't notice the extra weight...and I thought I would.

I just sent them an email on the question. Should hear back shortly and I'll post.

Well, it is Sunday. Probably won't hear today.

#12 ·
I just installed my Richoet system yesterday on the 2011 Brute Force 750. I ordered the black anadoized option for all pieces except the under belly. What a nice set. I could not believe how cheap and small the stock plastic pieces were. Even the heavy duty straps were a pain to install they are worth it. I also liked the torgue bolts. They give you the ability to crank them down tight. There won't be any rattles from them. I feel secure that mt Brute is well protected. As I will be a trail rider most of the time I look at the skid plates as an insurance policy. Can't wait to give them a test run. Russ

#13 ·
I just installed my Richoet system yesterday on the 2011 Brute Force 750. I ordered the black anadoized option for all pieces except the under belly. What a nice set. I could not believe how cheap and small the stock plastic pieces were. Even the heavy duty straps were a pain to install they are worth it. I also liked the torgue bolts. They give you the ability to crank them down tight. There won't be any rattles from them. I feel secure that mt Brute is well protected. As I will be a trail rider most of the time I look at the skid plates as an insurance policy. Can't wait to give them a test run. Russ
Congrats. You will love them. The only thing I fount was that with the plats solid against the frame sand and small rocks tended to get trapped and make a poping sound when the frame flexed.. and it was hard to flush all that out on clean up. I took some 5/8" & 3/4" heater hose and cut 1" rings, then split them and placed them next to each tiedown clamp around the frame. That made the plate press against rubber and held it away from the frame the thiskness of the hose which made cleanup much easier.

#20 ·
Wanted to update this thread with fitment images on the newer brutes. Over all still agree with all the positives mentioned in the thread.

One concern I have after initial install only deals with the front plate. They have spacers welded to the outter bolt holes but not the inner bolt holes causing the plate to not sit flat on the front mounting brackets(picture attached).

Not sure if there was a different bracket orientation on older brutes or not. (Brute noob) Planning to call them an see what the intentions on the spacers are. Also had to trim the front plastic bumper cover's lower tabs to allow the plate to mount at all. Not a big deal as the upper flanges of the skid plate hold what's left of the plastic in that area down so it's not flopping or anything. Still look awesome and appear as if they will hold up extremely well. Will enjoy riding on technical trails much more now!

Attachments

#22 ·
Called them and as soon as I mentioned that there were only two spacers on the outer holes they immediately said "well there supposed to be 4 spacers one on each bolt hole, we will get 2 more out in the mail today. Also going to go check the stock and see if they're all that way." So looks like it will all be just fine. Very happy with them.

#24 ·
MY Brute came with those when i bought it from the previous owner. he claimed they were oem but i could tell from their design that that was highly unlikely. Only thing i dont like is that they hold rocks and mud all over so its a little but longer to clean it but well worth the time in my opinion. Its nice knowing that your protected everywhere.

#25 ·
If you will get yourself some 3/4" heater hose and cut a bunch of 1.5" rings then split them, then drop the plates and position them around the frame all over near the mounting points and reinstall the plates, it will hold the plates off the frame making them quiet and water to pass between them and the frame making it a lot easier to clean. Worth the hassle...trust me...:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.