Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

REVIEW: Precision Racing's Steering Stabilizer For The Brute Force

28K views 112 replies 21 participants last post by  NMKAWIERIDER 
#1 · (Edited)
REVIEW OF THE PRECISION STEERING STABLIZER FOR THE BRUTE FORCE

Product First Look

Clean, smooth, well crafted, no burs, cast marks or imperfections. So nice, one would hate to get it dirty! Check it out!

Installation

Installation was easy and straight forward. All parts fit perfectly as expected. It is critical that tork specs be followed to the letter as per instructions. Also, double check that the stabilizer control arm and the stem clamp arm are in the proper position prior to torking. About fifteen minutes and you are ready for the trails!!
<O:p</O:p

Initial setting

Direction includes settings that professional racers use in various conditions as a baseline. I decided on the rough trail riding as a starting point. The center and sides operation are 100% adjustable for any condition or desire a rider may have.
<O:p</O:p
<TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; mso-padding-alt: 0in 0in 0in 0in" class=MsoNormalTable border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; WIDTH: 68%; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-TOP: 0in" width="68%">
Conditions

The initial ride was only four hours long, but included four basic types of riding conditions.

-Desert trails that include woops, hard corners, sand, rocky climbs & malpye fields (rocky open fields & trails)

-Hill Climbs that include sandy 47-50 degree 3-700 foot climbs, hard pack with ledges & gravel covered 48 degree short 100-200 foot climbs.

-Arroyos which are like dry creek beds cut in to open areas feeding rivers in most cases. They are narrow with steep walls, switchbacks, hairpins, small drop-offs and are usually loose or soft bottomed. Sport quad riders love them. I rolled mine clipping a wall once.

-Simulated Drag Racing Just as it sounds, from zero to top end fully pinned on a dirt road. Simulated because I was alone. No matter, none of my buds will run me any more anyway.

I started out on the Desert trails, which wind out of some small hills onto the desert floor. Noticed it was better behaved over the whoops and off camber conditions right off the bat. In fact, I had to push it a bit to get the tail to swing while playing. George said it would control fishtailing, and boy he was right. Woops had far less impact on the arms as the stabilizer caught the wheel impacts at the stem. On one I stuck it a little on the way out and up she went, however she noised down into the next one on angle. Prepared for a bar snap as she hit…but didn’t happen. Wheel stayed straight and landed just fine. Excited about this I started picking up the pace. The bike now naturally wanted to keep a straight line and it was now the rider that would cause the bike to whip around, not the trail. Steering and cornering in sand was positive and well behaved. The act of over correcting seems to have been reduced drastically if not completely eliminated.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I made it out of the hills to the flats in record time where I let her graze over open rocky fields. The faster I went, the more the stabilizer held on. I found I could ride with one hand over very rough fields of clumps and rocks. I found it very strange the amount of reacting we do from input we get from the trail, and when much of that is taken out, that leaves more time for action…or increased aggressive riding. This could get one into trouble. The Brute behaved so differently that a couple of times I thought to myself “Who’s bike is this?” I became more fearless and started riding it more like a sport bike. In short, the control gain was unbelievable and one might find himself pushing it harder to get back closer to that “edge”. You know about the "edge"...right? That's the point where a rider feels his toes are just across the line between in and out of control. Pushing the limit or envelope you might say.

The next condition was Arroyos, where agility and control counts. With the sway bar off, there were some limitations as to the power turning but it still didn’t slow me down to the most part. These are like little canyons with twists & turns, hairpins and in my case this day, one collapsed canyon wall just around one blind turn. With no time to stop I did a full lockup and fully expected the back end to come around and impact this wall of dirt as it has in the past, but no.. she stayed straight and I was able to twitch the bars enough to line up on a spot that would take me over the top, clicked it in FWD and headed over it like a pro. Wow. I think the only explanation is that the bike uses the stem as a pivot point and when a steering stabilizer is bridged between the frame and stem, it works both ways. The pivot point now has a damper on it, so it can’t start to pivot around without your help. That’s cool…most of the time. If one wanted to play he/she could just adjust this stabilizer a few clicks looser and it would act like it was off. Anyway, even with this blockage, I ran the Arroyo in record time and no feeling of tightness in my shoulders or forearms. I then headed back to the hills for some climbing tests.

On the hill climbs I first off found that what I call “Torque-Steer” was almost eliminated in FWD and in full diff-lock. In just FWD with this initial setting I couldn’t feel any torque steer at all and was able to run a straighter line up to the top then ever before. In fact, I found I used the diff-lock much less. Even on rutty hills with outcropping ledges, the line to the top was much straighter and the bike deflected almost not at all by these bumps and ruts. I then decided to see if I could take the “Torque Steer” out completely and set the stabilizer two notched tighter. This is when I discovered that you really do want some of this to get to your hands. The best way I can describe it is first, what I call “Torque Steer” is better classified as “Traction Steer” for us. In full lock, when one tire looses traction, the other pulls in that direction turning the steering in that direction. You turn it back quickly to maintain your line and before the frame changes course much. Well, I can tell you that two-notch tighter setting will in fact take out 100% of the effect this has on the bars. You will feel no torque/traction steer. But because it was stopped at the stem, and the front wheels did not move, something has to happen, so the bike will jump in the direction of the tire with the traction. It’s like someone picked up your front end, moved it over 5-10 degrees, and set it down. That meant the whole bike is now off your line and you have to turn it back. So, this setting is not good for use with the diff-lock on hills. It’s still OK in just 4WD or 2WD and it will take out more bump-steer and a lower speed, so rough trail riding will be better, but not hill climbing in full lock. That was the only time all day that I felt any pucker factor…and it was a dozy. Did it three times just to confirm that’s what it was doing.

One last test was the simulated drag race. All three takeoffs were smooth and straight, no fishtailing in 2 or 4 wheel drive. You guys that drag race should like that! On up to 55+ smooth as glass except on mine, I have some wobble from my tires that used to come through to the bars and shake, but not any more. I can still feel it in the frame, but its stopped at the stabilizer at the stem. Very cool.

So, in summary, I love it! I liked the ability to either be way-in control or adjust it off if I wanted. The adjustability is fantastic. It was only a four-hour ride, but I needed no breaks and just wanted to hit more stuff. I think any stabilizer will greatly increase a rider’s control and remove lots of the input that causes stress & pump to the upper body. I also think there are those out there that like living on the edge, and for those, maybe a stabilizer shouldn’t be in their future, nor for those that mostly mud and just ride trails to get to the mud. It wouldn’t be worth it. But if you take long rides in the back country, travel over rough areas and want a better, less pounding experience or want to be taken to a new level of control so you can ride more aggressively and confidently, well a stabilizer is for you, and I do highly recommend this one. George and his staff at Precision Racing Products period. And… it’s the only one specifically designed for the Brute Force… and not just some....all of them! A great product, built right here in the USA</ST1:p

Precision Racing Products
Tel 209-365-1850
Fax 209-365-1692
Email SALES@PRECISION-RP.COM

See less See more
#4 ·
Excellent Review! I went back and read it a second time to fully understand everything! Very nice descriptions and easy to understand! Twice yesterday I almost had the grips jerked out of my hands crossing some deep dry ditches when I hit bottom on my nose and not equally on both front wheels. By your descriptions the stabilizer would stop that completely. A little on the high or expensive side for my style of riding but I still want one.
:rating10: Again great review! :beerchug:

#6 ·
Great review! :rating10:

#8 ·
Thanks for the good review.

#9 ·
Took it out and did some rock-hill climbing the other day and I was smile'n big time. The Brute is so different. Its like a Jeep with handlbars now. No kick, no bump-steer. Hard to get used to relaxing over what used to be white-knuckled situations but I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough.

#10 ·
From what I read I would like it but don't know if I would get all the benefits from it. I also can't see spending $500 plus yet for something like that. Maybe if I tried one out I would be more of a believer but as of right now thats alittle to much to spend.

#11 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (skip nay @ Mar 1 2009, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
From what I read I would like it but don't know if I would get all the benefits from it. I also can't see spending $500 plus yet for something like that. Maybe if I tried one out I would be more of a believer but as of right now thats alittle to much to spend.[/b]
If anyone gets the chance to run a Brute with any stablizer over the rough trails...or anything, I believe they will become a... believer. This has been the best mod I have done to date.. besides the tires.

#12 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BF Freak @ Mar 1 2009, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If anyone gets the chance to run a Brute with any stablizer over the rough trails...or anything, I believe they will become a... believer. This has been the best mod I have done to date.. besides the tires.[/b]
Through on a set of rox risers and bars on then you are perfect

#14 ·
Great review, I'm seriously thinking of getting this stabilizer.

By the way great site with lots of good information.

#15 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brutal rider @ Apr 20 2009, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Great review, I'm seriously thinking of getting this stabilizer.

By the way great site with lots of good information.[/b]
Got about 70 miles and some good hardhours on it now and it still makes me smile the hole time. I'm actualy vering into rocks just to...NOT feel them!! :) Not the cheapest, but...well...you know what they say about getting what you pay for.

#16 ·
I just added a steering stabilizer (dampner) from a (yfz450) like I read here , and fits perfect and made a big diifgerence in bump steer...if you ride where theres ruts and rocks it will greatley reduce those hard bump steers...I only paid about 140.00 . dont see myself paying 500.00 though...just my 2 cents worth..Rob

#17 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oohyeah4 @ Apr 21 2009, 08:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I just added a steering stabilizer (dampner) from a (yfz450) like I read here , and fits perfect and made a big diifgerence in bump steer...if you ride where theres ruts and rocks it will greatley reduce those hard bump steers...I only paid about 140.00 . dont see myself paying 500.00 though...just my 2 cents worth..Rob[/b]
$140 isn't bad! But, after riding with one on my KFX, I think it's well worth $500. Even more so for the Brute Force.

#18 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ONROPE @ Apr 21 2009, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
$140 isn't bad! But, after riding with one on my KFX, I think it's well worth $500. Even more so for the Brute Force.[/b]
With our big, heavy off-set tires & wheels, they realy come into their own. When I was just thinking about getting one, I could only guess as to the benifits, but man, after having and using for a while, you realy get a better picture of what the rider has been going through when so much is changed. Just the other day I was doing a little tight rat-racing with a buddy on a sport quad, the trail twisted hard through rocky treed hillsides and around one tight turn around a large tree was a smaller stump about 8-10" high. It was dusty and I had my wheels more then 1/2 way turned powering around this hairpin when I saw it for just a split second as it disapeared under the left front fender. I gripped hard knowing that this was it and I was going to have the bars ripped out of my hands and I was going to either brake some more ribs like I did once before or over the bars. The tire hit....and the Brute just went over it...and all I felt in the bars was a light tap. Nothing! I tell you, I was one happy dude. The last time I hit the bars and broke a batch of ribs from an encounter with a stump, it cost me way more then 500 bucks, so if you ask me now if this stabilizer was worth what I paid? My answer would a big YES!

#19 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BF Freak @ Apr 21 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
With out big, heavy off-set tires & wheels, they realy come into their own. When I was just thinking about getting one, I could only guess as to the benifits, but man, after having and using for a while, you realy get a better picture of what the rider has been going through when so much is changed. Just the other day I was doing a little tight rat-racing with a buddy on a sport quad, the trail twisted hard through rocky treed hillsides and around one tight turn around a large tree was a smaller stump about 8-10" high. It was dusty and I had my wheels more then 1/2 way turned powering around this hairpin when I saw it for just a split second as it disapeared under the left front fender. I gripped hard knowing that this was it and I was agoing to have the bars ripped out of my hands and I was going to either brake some more ribs like I did once before or over the bars I was going. The tire hit....and the Brute just went over it...and all I felt in the bars was a light tap. Nothing! I was one happy guy let me tell you.[/b]
Yes, it is an awesome device!

#20 ·
I'm starting to put back some a little at a time for me one! I also have had the bars ripped out of my hands! I haven't gone over the bars yet but did a pretty good handstand after catching a log underwater I didn't see...

#21 ·
You know I'm really torn now on what too do. I was all ready too get the precision and then found out that a power steering UNIT was coming out for the Brute. I called the company and they said about 3 months. Well we all know what about 3 months means. Maybe sometime this year.
What would you guys do? Wait and spend 1300 for power steering that pretty much acts like a stabilizer also or spend 550 for the precision pro?

#22 ·
That is a great and very specific write up great job. I cannot speak for this unit but wish I had one. I can however speak for having a stabilizer. While mine is not in the same class as this it still performs. I have had some horrid kick backs with the brute before I installed one. Now I ride with it on a heavier setting and love it. A month ago I was riding over a frozen puddle that gave way. The front end dipped and the bike stopped dead. Had it not been for the unit I know I would have broken a wrist.

#23 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brutal rider @ Apr 21 2009, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You know I'm really torn now on what too do. I was all ready too get the precision and then found out that a power steering UNIT was coming out for the Brute. I called the company and they said about 3 months. Well we all know what about 3 months means. Maybe sometime this year.
What would you guys do? Wait and spend 1300 for power steering that pretty much acts like a stabilizer also or spend 550 for the precision pro?[/b]
The problem with the power steering, while it still helps dampen the effect of kickback, It will not hold up well under extreme riding. Most of the guys who are racing the Utilities like the Grizzly and Polaris are taking them out and installing Precision Racing stabilizers. The power steering units just won't hold up. I own a Grizzly 700 with EPS, I love it. But If I still rode it as aggressive as I did before my V, I would have the Precision Racing Stabilizer mounted on it to use for XC. To me, it is simply money well spent; I would add one of these before I modded the shocks.

#24 ·
Guys , I understand many of youre points. but reality is not many people can or should I say "are willing" like myself to fork out 500.00 for something that you can get similar, that does the same thing for a fraction of the price....Im sure the 500.00 item is very nice , but for that amount how many 140.00 stabilizers can I get if mine where to break?? I am in no way questioning the 500.00 product, just the fact not many people can afford that kind of device at that price....let me put it this way, I have been trying to sell my mudlites xtr's for months now and cant even get 250.00 for them when in reality they are in new condition basically..yet they cost about 140..00 new each...see my point? but I will say again , the stabilizer is a great mod and I totally agree with you guys on that....peace out...Rob

#25 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oohyeah4 @ Apr 21 2009, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Guys , I understand many of youre points. but reality is not many people can or should I say "are willing" like myself to fork out 500.00 for something that you can get similar, that does the same thing for a fraction of the price....Im sure the 500.00 item is very nice , but for that amount how many 140.00 stabilizers can I get if mine where to break?? I am in no way questioning the 500.00 product, just the fact not many people can afford that kind of device at that price....let me put it this way, I have been trying to sell my mudlites xtr's for months now and cant even get 250.00 for them when in reality they are in new condition basically..yet they cost about 140..00 new each...see my point? but I will say again , the stabilizer is a great mod and I totally agree with you guys on that....peace out...Rob[/b]
I understand your point. Yes for some guys the $140 damper works just fine. I tried one of the ones that look like a hydraulic closer for a storm door. It worked for 2 rides and I broke it (I am usually hard on stuff). I sent it back and had it replaced, broke it again. I know guys that use the same one without any issues. My riding style just demands more that's all.

As for the tires, man, I feel your pain. I have 2 sets 1 never at all used, mounted on new wheels and was trying to sell them for $300; still no takers. The other ridden on once with wheels for $250; nothing! But shipping usually gets people.

#26 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ONROPE @ Apr 21 2009, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The problem with the power steering, while it still helps dampen the effect of kickback, It will not hold up well under extreme riding. Most of the guys who are racing the Utilities like the Grizzly and Polaris are taking them out and installing Precision Racing stabilizers. The power steering units just won't hold up. I own a Grizzly 700 with EPS, I love it. But If I still rode it as aggressive as I did before my V, I would have the Precision Racing Stabilizer mounted on it to use for XC. To me, it is simply money well spent; I would add one of these before I modded the shocks.[/b]
Thanks, I never new that, Precision Racing Stabilize it is. Now just waiting for my tax refund to show up. r

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.