Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

REVIEW: TRAIL TECH VAPOR TACH/SPEEDO

7K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  VTprairie 
#1 ·
<div align='center'> </div>
<div align='left'>Trail Tech Vapor Motorcycle/ATV Tachometer Speedometer Review</div>
While I love riding utility quads, I felt the necessity to delve back into the sport quad world. Maybe it was boredom or a possibly a mid-life crisis, but no matter what you call it, I wanted a sport quad again.

My sport quad quest left me curious about several quads; however, one quad stood out in particular…..The Kawasaki KFX-700. The KFX-700 follows most traditions of a sport quad; and one trait in particular, the odometer…Or lack thereof. While the lack of an odometer for most intents and purposes is not a critical item to have on a sport ATV I truly found the desire to know how far I have traveled, as well as how fast I was going.

A company from Washington State named Trail Tech answered my requests with a stylish, dash mounted computer called the "Vapor", which was capable of displaying my speed and distance traveled, among many other things. The Trail Tech Vapor featured a time, RPM display as well as multiple sensors for monitoring engine and air temperatures. It is also equipped with LED's that may be programmed to indicate certain engine temperature warnings or shift light alerts.

Here are the Trail Tech Vapor Features: Speedometer:
  • Current Speed
  • Maximum Speed
  • Selectable MPH/KMH Display

Tachometer:
  • Real-Time RPM Bar Graph
  • Numeric RPM Readout
  • Dual Programmable Shift Lights
  • Up to 20,000 RPM

Temperature:
  • Ambient Temperature
  • Engine Temperature
  • Dual Programmable Temp Lights
  • Exact Model Fit Temperature Sensors
  • Selectable °F/°C Display

• Distance:
    • Adjustable Distance
    • Permanent Odometer
    • Selectable Mile/Kilometer Display

Clock:
  • Hour Meter
  • Stop Watch
  • Ride Time
  • Accumulated Ride Time
  • permanent Hour Meter
  • Selectable 12/24 Hour Display

Power Input :
  • Includes Power Connection Fits All Machines
  • Accepts Any Power Input - AC/DC
  • Auto Switch to Internal Power if External is Removed
  • Permanent Memory Guarantees Data is Never Lost

• Value Added :
    • Custom Designed for Exact Model Fit
    • All Parts Included to Complete Installation
    • One Year Warranty
    • Unlimited Free Trail Tech Phone and Email Support
    • Waterproof Connections Included
    • Bright White Backlit LCD Display
    • Accessory Dashboards for Most Applications

First Impressions

Upon first inspection, the Trail Tech Vapor seemed lightweight yet very durable. The operating and installation instructions were very well written and easy to follow. We also received the Trail Tech dashboard made especially for the KFX-700 which is designed to mount directly to the stock steering stem and maintain the stock location for the KFX-700 indicator lights. We only had to relocate the key switch.

The whole assembly would have looked out of place without the addition of a set of Trail Tech X-Bars installed along with the trick looking Vapor, dash, and protector.

In my opinion the whole setup was well styled and suitable for some of the most rugged situations.

Installation:

Installation of the Trail Tech Vapor was easy and straightforward. Total time to mount the Trail Tech Vapor along with the new Trail Tech X-bars took just over 2 hours. It was simply a matter of mounting the new bars, dash and protector. Routing the sensor signaling wires and installing the sensor for the coolant line took the longest. You will have to drain the coolant in order to install the sensor line for the water temperature.

After the installation is complete you need to calibrate the speed sensor, RPM sensor and time and warning temperature thresholds. Trail Tech does an excellent job in describing the procedures for calibrating these sensors.

Ride Report:

The whole combination of the Trail Tech Vapor and X-Bars worked flawlessly. I also noticed improved comforts and rider ergonomics after installing the Trail Tech X- Bars setup. I usually began to notice discomfort in just a few hours of riding. The corrective posturing of the X-bars allowed me to go all day.

While riding, the Trail Tech Vapor display was extremely easy for me to read and monitor the engines tachometer, speed, distance, and temperature even in direct sunlight. It is also just as easy to read at night with the illuminated backlit display. The only thing that is cumbersome at first is menu navigation. But after about 5 minutes playing with it I was a pro.

I checked the accuracy of the Trail Tech Vapor speedometer against another quad as well as a GPS unit and speed showed to be dead on after we calibrated the Trail Tech Vapor to my tire size.

Final Conclusion:

The Trail Tech Vapor has very valuable sensors that can tell the operator of an imminent problem and allow you the ability to deal with it before it's too late.

The Trail Tech Vapor, dashboard and handlebar setup gave me additional comfort, style and durability for complete confidence while on the trail or on the track.

After using the Trail Tech Vapor on the KFX-700 I now find myself somewhat spoiled and wishing I had those same sensors available for my utility ATV.

I am happy to give this Trail Tech product the Kawie Central stamp of approval. In my opinion the Trail Tech Vapor setup is an excellent as well as a necessary modification to your sport ATV / UTV or dirt bike.

For more information on Trail Tech Products, visit them at http://www.trailtech.net

Or

1600 SE 18th Ave Battle Ground, WA 98604

360-687-4530

[email]sales@trailtech.net[/email]

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.