belt slipping when engine brake engages - Kawasaki Brute Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old April 22nd, 2018, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

belt slipping when engine brake engages

Okay, so I finally took my 2016 Brute 750 on a trail ride over the weekend. Great machine, really like it. But when going down a hill and the engine brake engages the belt seems to slip and I hear a loud "chirp". It doesn't happen all the time but it happened more and more as the weekend went on. My Brute only has 275 miles on it, so it's not like the belt is worn. But it is 2.5 years old. Or is there an adjustment to make the engine brake not kick in so hard?

Any useful input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

2016 Brute Force 750. Maxiss Big Horn tires, LED light bar, Aluminum Products Skid plates/ a-arm guards, Koplin rear box.

2014 Teryx 2,

2016 900 RZR S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old April 22nd, 2018, 01:58 PM

Garage
Engine brake is simply the belt staying engaged while the CVT back/down shifts to lower ratios as the engine slows..or tries to slow down. If the belt actually is slipping, that would mean either a very high amount of deflection..far over the max spec..or.. loss of grip or friction against the belt and clutches..caused by wear, glazing from previous burning(1), or something on the belt like water or oil.

In any case, you will have to remove the cover and check all this to find out what is going on.

(1) Just FYI-, about 6mph and below in high range the Brute's clutch system will have to slip some to maintain that slow of a speed. Sustained slow speeds in high range will glaze the belt and cause slippage when under power or hard deceleration. If the Brute is to be run below say 8 mph for any length of time, best to use low range.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
post #3 of 21 Old April 22nd, 2018, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMKAWIERIDER View Post
Engine brake is simply the belt staying engaged while the CVT back/down shifts to lower ratios as the engine slows..or tries to slow down. If the belt actually is slipping, that would mean either a very high amount of deflection..far over the max spec..or.. loss of grip or friction against the belt and clutches..caused by wear, glazing from previous burning(1), or something on the belt like water or oil.

In any case, you will have to remove the cover and check all this to find out what is going on.

(1) Just FYI-, about 6mph and below in high range the Brute's clutch system will have to slip some to maintain that slow of a speed. Sustained slow speeds in high range will glaze the belt and cause slippage when under power or hard deceleration. If the Brute is to be run below say 8 mph for any length of time, best to use low range.
Yea I was afraid I would have to take the cover off and take a look. I was hoping there was some kind of easy adjustment. So if I put a new belt on what guarantee do I have this won't keep happening?

2016 Brute Force 750. Maxiss Big Horn tires, LED light bar, Aluminum Products Skid plates/ a-arm guards, Koplin rear box.

2014 Teryx 2,

2016 900 RZR S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old April 22nd, 2018, 07:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodMan View Post
Yea I was afraid I would have to take the cover off and take a look. I was hoping there was some kind of easy adjustment. So if I put a new belt on what guarantee do I have this won't keep happening?
Well, you don't even know what's wrong..yet. No guarantees with off-road machines. Find and fix the problem and/or cause is always the best course of action.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
post #5 of 21 Old April 23rd, 2018, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

After doing a little research and talking to a buddy of mine who was a Kaw mechanic, there are shims in the driven pulley. The belt that has been on there for 2+ years may have tightened up due to lack of use. So I will replace the belt, if it happens then, I'll need to remove a shim or two. Hopefully I'll get into it today or tomorrow.

2014 Teryx 2,

2016 900 RZR S
post #6 of 21 Old April 23rd, 2018, 12:01 PM

Garage
Those shims are for setting deflection which is to be between 22-27mm. Belts get looser over time and when they go past 27mm you adjust by taking a shim out. Good luck with your replacement. Supposed to remove the clutches to replace the belt so I hope you have the puller and a torque wrench.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
post #7 of 21 Old April 24th, 2018, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Pulled the clutch and belt last night. I had a clutch puller tool that worked on my 2008 Teryx and it worked for the Brute as well. The belt looks new, but there are a few wear spots here and there where it looks like it was rubbed or burnt. So I ordered a new belt, $97.45 delivered on eBay. I spoke to my buddy who was a Kaw mechanic and he said belts to "chip" when they are worn. So with only 275 miles on it the guess is that without some regular use it has expanded.
Taking the belt off the Brute was easy compared to taking it off the Teryx. I removed the side panel, including the black insert that has the webbing on it. You have to open the airbox lid to access one screw. You also have to remove the collar right below the pod. Lastly there are several of these screws that have nuts on the back of them or clips. Keeping an eye on the clips is important as they like to "disappear", or fall on the ground or slide down where you can't see them. You also have to take the large plastic nut off the ignition, and I took the rubber insert off around the plastic where the shifter comes through. I did not pull the panel off the shiftier knob, I just pulled it out and rotated it so I could get to the cover. There are 8 10mm bolts to remove, two have "wire holders" on them. You have to unplug two wire connections.
To remove the clutch there are several videos on YouTube.
I'll post once I get the new belt on.

2014 Teryx 2,

2016 900 RZR S
post #8 of 21 Old May 7th, 2018, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

New belt and it's fixed. We rode Hatfield McCoy trails over the weekend and I put about 90 miles on the Brute on Friday. No more chirping sound.

2014 Teryx 2,

2016 900 RZR S
post #9 of 21 Old June 11th, 2018, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

So I went out on another ride and my belt is slipping a little bit and every now and then I get a "chip". We rode in Utah last week and it was hot and dusty. It only seemed to act up after we took a long ride on a straight away and then down a hill. We went down some nasty steep loose rock hills and it held fine. I'm not sure if the heat and dust were causing the issue or if it's time to take a shim out.

2014 Teryx 2,

2016 900 RZR S
post #10 of 21 Old October 15th, 2018, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

I'm still having this issue. I took it to the dealer and they said the deflection was okay. I'm thinking about putting a stiffer spring into the clutch. Any other ideas? Or how do I check the deflection? Obviously I'm going to tear it down again. I did buy a Gates belt and I'm going to put that on and see how it does.

2014 Teryx 2,

2016 900 RZR S

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki Brute Forum > General Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Brute Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in