Need help making a decision on 26" or 27" tires - Kawasaki Brute Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old October 30th, 2018, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Need help making a decision on 26" or 27" tires

Hello,
I'm new here and wanted to ask for some suggestions on tire sizes. I have searched and debated on tires and I think I'm pretty confident that Kenda Bear Claws HTR are the ones for me. The one thing that I have noticed while shopping for these tires is that the 27" tall only come in a 12" rim, as the 26" tall come in 12" and 14" rim sizes. I thought maybe I should go with the 27" tall for a little more ground clearance, but since they are only available for a 12" rim I feel that they may have too much sidewall slop. I found the quad in the attached thumbnail while doing my search. He specified that they are 27" tall bear claws on a 25" rim. However, the rears look to me that they could be the same width as the front (9" width on all 4 wheels?), making the rears look less puffy (9" wide on all 4?). Anyone else agree or have suggestions of the widths in the picture? He also stated he has a 12" lift, which i considered, but don't want to take too much of my handling away for fast trail riding or sport riding. I"m not a mudder! Would a 2" lift hinder it ALOT from just casual trail riding? Any suggestions on size, tire widths or lift is very much appreciated. Once I settle with a decision and get them mounted i plan on posting before and after pics. Thanks for a great forum that is very helpful.

UPDATE: the attached thumbnail photo has the orignal Bear Claws and not the newer radial HTR's. He is running 27x9x12 tires with ITP SS212 rims on all 4 wheels. The 2 inch lift is because he prefers mud riding or maybe some swamp style riding. Which I don't, so I will not be lifting my machine, also I will be going with a 25" or 26" tire.

The thumbnail is for reverence only, and is not my machine!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27 inch kenda bear claws. 12 inch ss212 with 2 inch lift.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	6605  

Mossy Oak 2014 Kawasaki Brute 750i with EPS all stock engine. MSA Vibe 14" wheels. Kenda Bear Claw HTR 26x11x14 rear, 26x9x14 Front . Elka Stage 3 shocks. Teryx led headlights with added Grandview amber angel eyes halo's from amazon. ATV TEK gun/bow double grippers VFG2. Acerbis xfactory black/orange handguards. Rigid Radiance 10" light bar. Warn bumper. Warn 54" provantage front mount plow. Heat Demon heated grips, thumb, and seat.

Last edited by myrz; November 7th, 2018 at 08:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old October 31st, 2018, 09:31 AM

NMK will know better, but I'm pretty sure if you get the right rims you don't need a lift for 27" tires. 26 or 27 is personal preference. With the 26" tire it will probably feel more nimble for trail ridng and sport riding. 9 & 11 would be more appropriate than same width all the way around.

Jake

'06 Brute Force 650 4x4i - SOLD
post #3 of 33 Old October 31st, 2018, 09:40 AM

Garage
I'm guessing these are for your 2014 so clutching won't be an issue up to 28s. The pic shoes the same wheels..12"x 7" with what may be the same size front and back..but probably not as looks are deceiving enough. What wheels will you be using? And just for the record, I once feed-into that premise that the 14" was better for trails and handling because of the reduced side wall. Not true...at least up to 28" but then no trail rider would use a 28" anyway. If you do want the best for trails, you won';t go over 27" in fact you won't go over 26". That extra 1/2" clearance will cost you several HP and add maybe 4lbs of rotational mass robbing power and response that your Brute has now. I would do the 26" and not worry about the wheel size...had both..liked both. But..I would NOT go any wider on back then 11s not wider on front then 9s. However with the EPS and if I had the same size wheels front and back I would consider 10" wides on all four. In fact if I replace my wheels on my Z that is what I will be doing.

As for what tire...that's all up to you. Do your research, read the reviews...and pull the trigger. All will have their +s and -s.

Oh and by the way..NO lifts. Only mudders need them for tires larger then 28".

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old October 31st, 2018, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

Very awesome help! You shined a lot of light on my decision. Answering some of your questions- Yes this it's for the machine in my Sig (2014 with eps). I'm not sure which wheels yet, but i'm leaning toward ITP because their made in the USA (QS9000 standard) or maybe MSA. Any suggestions?

Mossy Oak 2014 Kawasaki Brute 750i with EPS all stock engine. MSA Vibe 14" wheels. Kenda Bear Claw HTR 26x11x14 rear, 26x9x14 Front . Elka Stage 3 shocks. Teryx led headlights with added Grandview amber angel eyes halo's from amazon. ATV TEK gun/bow double grippers VFG2. Acerbis xfactory black/orange handguards. Rigid Radiance 10" light bar. Warn bumper. Warn 54" provantage front mount plow. Heat Demon heated grips, thumb, and seat.

Last edited by myrz; November 5th, 2018 at 07:47 PM.
post #5 of 33 Old October 31st, 2018, 05:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrz View Post
Very awesome help! You shined a lot of light on my decision. Answering some of your questions- Yes this it's for the machine in my Sig (2014 with eps). I'm not sure which wheels yet, but i'm leaning toward ITP because i like the sounds of their quality (QS9000 standard) or maybe MSA. Any suggestions? I like your idea of running 10" all the way around as I do have the EPS. As stated before I'm going with the Bear Claw HTR, but the rims are still up for suggestions! Thanks

So just to be clear. My tire decision will probably be the HTR's 26x10x12 on all 4 wheels. still a little confused if I should do 9's or 10's in the front.
The 10s are pushing it a little but should be OK with the 26s. Your wheel offset will be important. Remember, it's an IRS so you must always have the second number equal to or less then the first...as in 4+3, 4+4, 5+2,5+3 but a 7" is fine for up to 11". The 4+3 is always a safe bet. It will be a little wider then the stocks but you want that for stability plus it will get it away from the winch a bit more in a full turn.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
post #6 of 33 Old October 31st, 2018, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Ok. Then maybe I will go with 26" tall, 9" width up front, and 11" width in the back.

update: ugg. im having a problem finding the tires and wheels at the same place. I have a $96 credit at RM ATV, but they don't carry the HTR's. I could get the rims there, but every time I find a rim it doesn't come in my size 12x7 (everything I like is 14"). I may just go with the 12x7 ITP ss212 machine finished, but i'm afraid of them pitting while i'm in the snow with the plow. Would this finish be ok in the snow? Motosport has HTR's.

decisions, decisions....been doing a lot of thinking and may be going with the 25x10x12 and 25x9x12 tire. less weight. And, the ITP ss212 25x7's only weigh 9.5 pounds and have a superb quality rating. I'm still not out of the woods...still double guessing the 26'' tall before I pull the trigger!
UPDATE: wow. the bear claw htr's rear 25x8x12" weighs 5.3 lb.s per tire less than the 26x11x12. Thats a total of 10.6 lbs. more!
The fronts 25x8x12 weigh 20.9 vs. 26x9x12 weigh 23.5 . which is a difference of approx. 5 pounds for both tires. 26" tires combined front and back would be about 15.5 lbs. Thats just too much of a difference! I think this is enough to make me decide on 25"!

also figured out that the the tires in the thumbnail in my earlier post are the original bear claws (not the htr). He stated hes running 27". well bear claw only offers a 9" wide in the 27" tall tire. So he's using 27x9x12 on all 4 wheels. He also stated in his post (https://www.brutecentral.com/forums/...h-tires-2.html) that hes a mudder, so this makes sense in his case.

Last edited by myrz; November 1st, 2018 at 06:11 AM.
post #7 of 33 Old November 1st, 2018, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

I have edited my earlier posts to give future followers a clearer understanding of my questions and findings.

post #8 of 33 Old November 1st, 2018, 09:14 AM

Garage
Man..don't worry about a few pounds..the Brute can handle it. Yes, there will be some loss with any aftermarket tire...but the gains are worth it...and if kept reasonable, it won't be noticeable. These won't be the last set of tires you will buy anyway. Shoot in 4800 miles mine had 5 sets...and none even started to wear before I got something else...except the Reapers. They were the best I ever had..in everything and were the last set.

Take a look at Discount tire. They usually have the best prices and..they can get most anything.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
post #9 of 33 Old November 1st, 2018, 05:50 PM
Site Sponsor

Thank you for the recommendation NMKAWIERIDER.

I've had 2 Brute's in the past, My favorite quad. Loved the sporty feel of these torque monsters. As you mention Grim Reapers are a good tough all around tire. They aren't a sexy as some but comfortable and hard to stop.

myrz, let us know if we can help.

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store: discounttire.com
To Your Door: discounttiredirect.com
post #10 of 33 Old November 2nd, 2018, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

Grim Reapers

Thanks guys! The Grim Reapers does look interesting. I thought I had my mind made up, but I'm going to take these into consideration. It seems that the ITP SS alloy series are popular maybe because they have several different choices in the 12x7. But, as far as other brands, I'm almost tempted to go with a 14" rim because there seems to be more choices in that size, One in particular that I like is the MSA M26 Vibe or Diesel wheel.

Being in the midwest it would make more sense to have two different sets for winter and summer, but Im not looking to spend that much money, so I need to make up my mind what style riding is more important. To be honest though, I want something thats going to look good too. I'm afraid if I go too big or wide, that they will get that puffy side wall look, which i don't like.

I realize these probably won't be my last tires, but I'm just trying to get the best bang for my buck.

After I make up my mind I will PM discount tire to check for availability and prices!

Last edited by myrz; November 7th, 2018 at 08:40 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki Brute Forum > Brute Forums > Brute Tire & Wheel Combos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Brute Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode