3Likes
  • 1 Post By NMKAWIERIDER
  • 1 Post By NMKAWIERIDER
  • 1 Post By NMKAWIERIDER

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old January 3rd, 2020, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
08 650 rear diff sludge

Picked up an 08 BF650, rear brakes not working. Had to use a heat gun on the diff to get it to drain. Ran Marvel Mystery Oil,diesel, atf ...filled, drove around, drained, filled, drove, drained, filled multiple times until it started getting pretty clean. Then filled with tractor oil(tractor hydraulic oil). Drained, filled, drove, etc. My rear brake still sucks, but I can lock it up if I stomp on the rear brake foot pedal. Maybe the more I ride the better it will get.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kawasaki BF 08 rear diff.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	6743  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old January 3rd, 2020, 10:46 AM

Garage
Usually what happens is either someone road it with the parking brake on or it was miss-adjusted and they road it a long period toasting the brake disks and oil into tar. Or it never got changed and it got some water in with it over time. Maybe they will get better...but more likely they need replaced real bad. At least you got them working and maybe saved the rest of the gear case.
mooncruiser likes this.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
post #3 of 8 Old January 3rd, 2020, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMKAWIERIDER View Post
Usually what happens is either someone road it with the parking brake on or it was miss-adjusted and they road it a long period toasting the brake disks and oil into tar. Or it never got changed and it got some water in with it over time. Maybe they will get better...but more likely they need replaced real bad. At least you got them working and maybe saved the rest of the gear case.
Thanks. I'm going to ride it for awhile and see how it goes. I'm not sure if I will have to remove the whole swing arm/ diff assembly, or can just split case so to speak, and just remove the back half and change out the discs. Not much out there on the discs replacement with the solid axle rear, but doesn't seem too difficult. I'm using the premium tractor Orielly's) oil in it right now but have the Kawi stuff coming in tomorrow, not sure if it will make any difference. I'm assuming those discs are either worn out or glazed over like glass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old January 3rd, 2020, 01:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooncruiser View Post
Thanks. I'm going to ride it for awhile and see how it goes. I'm not sure if I will have to remove the whole swing arm/ diff assembly, or can just split case so to speak, and just remove the back half and change out the discs. Not much out there on the discs replacement with the solid axle rear, but doesn't seem too difficult. I'm using the premium tractor Orielly's) oil in it right now but have the Kawi stuff coming in tomorrow, not sure if it will make any difference. I'm assuming those discs are either worn out or glazed over like glass.
Your Tractor hydraulic oil is as good as it gets..it's fine.
mooncruiser likes this.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
post #5 of 8 Old January 3rd, 2020, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Your Tractor hydraulic oil is as good as it gets..it's fine.
What do you think about adding some Marvel Mystery Oil or ATF to the rear diff to help clean some of the crud out. Drain it and refill- do that a couple more times and maybe it'll help clean those discs? As I mentioned in original post that what I used to get 90% of the crud out, I was just thinking of running it (MMO or ATF) in the diff for awhile-don't think it'll hurt any bearings,etc.

Last edited by mooncruiser; January 3rd, 2020 at 02:05 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old January 3rd, 2020, 04:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooncruiser View Post
What do you think about adding some Marvel Mystery Oil or ATF to the rear diff to help clean some of the crud out. Drain it and refill- do that a couple more times and maybe it'll help clean those discs? As I mentioned in original post that what I used to get 90% of the crud out, I was just thinking of running it (MMO or ATF) in the diff for awhile-don't think it'll hurt any bearings,etc.
My biggest fear is washing trash through the bearings and what it will do to the gear faces. If it would just wash down and sit on the bottom to be flushed-out...great, but I guess it would depend on what the "sludge" is made up with. Burned fragments of brake disks and dirt left over from mud intrusion would not be well received but if it were just burned oil...well..not so bad. If it were me I might be tempted to set the back end off the ground and fill the unit through the vent tube on top with just diesel fuel. Then just slowly spin the tires back and forth washing everything slowly enough to let the heavier particles fall to the bottom. Let it sit a few hours, then drain it. Might do it twice then let it drain over night and with the plug out quickly dump some oil and diesel through the main port to wash the bottom of the case out. Then full with regular fluid and take it for a few runs.
mooncruiser likes this.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
post #7 of 8 Old January 3rd, 2020, 10:33 PM

If all else fails can find a used diff on EBay for less than $100. It’s easy to swap out but takes a little time.

2007 BF 650, HMF exhaust, Dynatek ignition, aftermarket air filter, snorkeled, High Lifter 2 lift, 29.5 Outlaw tires, EPI clutch for larger tires, HID headlights, LED light bar, aftermarket winch, Highlifter relocated radiator with adjustable temp switch and ability to manually turn on fan, external oil cooler, All Balls Racing axles all the way around, All Balls Racing tie rod upgrade, All Balls Racing ball joints and A-Arm upgrade up front.
post #8 of 8 Old January 4th, 2020, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
My biggest fear is washing trash through the bearings and what it will do to the gear faces. If it would just wash down and sit on the bottom to be flushed-out...great, but I guess it would depend on what the "sludge" is made up with. Burned fragments of brake disks and dirt left over from mud intrusion would not be well received but if it were just burned oil...well..not so bad. If it were me I might be tempted to set the back end off the ground and fill the unit through the vent tube on top with just diesel fuel. Then just slowly spin the tires back and forth washing everything slowly enough to let the heavier particles fall to the bottom. Let it sit a few hours, then drain it. Might do it twice then let it drain over night and with the plug out quickly dump some oil and diesel through the main port to wash the bottom of the case out. Then full with regular fluid and take it for a few runs.
Thanks, I'll give that a try

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki Brute Forum > Brute Forums > Brute Talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Brute Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in