How long of a warmup 4 your Brute? - Kawasaki Brute Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old May 25th, 2018, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

How long of a warmup 4 your Brute?

Had my Brute just for a bit now and it seems to take a long time to warm up the engine. Just wondered if this is the norm. Always have to choke it for about 2 minutes then open the choke slowly for another 3 minutes. Then i take off and it seems to run well after another minute or so of easy throttle. Im ok with all this but it seems kinda long. After warmup it runs like a sewing machine (screaming sewing machine) . Normal or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old May 25th, 2018, 06:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Cowboy View Post
Had my Brute just for a bit now and it seems to take a long time to warm up the engine. Just wondered if this is the norm. Always have to choke it for about 2 minutes then open the choke slowly for another 3 minutes. Then i take off and it seems to run well after another minute or so of easy throttle. Im ok with all this but it seems kinda long. After warmup it runs like a sewing machine (screaming sewing machine) . Normal or not?
No...not normal. I could have my choke 100% off on the coldest days withing 15 seconds. Check the valves and check the carb boots. They always split at or under the head-side clamps. That lets it suck-in raw air and lean it way out. Also check that there is no water in the bowls..just drain them. Also make sure your airbox lid is on well and the gasket is good.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
post #3 of 11 Old May 25th, 2018, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Carb boots are brand new, just installed. Both carbs just cleaned and adjusted. New gasket on airbox and new air cleaner. Didnt do the valves tho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old May 25th, 2018, 09:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Carb boots are brand new, just installed. Both carbs just cleaned and adjusted. New gasket on airbox and new air cleaner. Didnt do the valves tho.
The only other thing is compression...low compression will make it act that way.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
post #5 of 11 Old June 10th, 2018, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Did a valve adj but was not sure of the "notch" referred to in the service book ( for aligning TDC) . I see a notch on the threaded inspection port but not sure that is it.
Is it? Also two indentations (dots) on a metal part the alternator i can see in the inspection port. Anyway, fired it up after using the notch point and it no longer takes 5 minutes for warmup but it does pop slightly out the exhaust a little telling me i didnt quite get it right. The front cylinder valves are a bugger to get to so i am tearing all the plastic off to get better access and hopefully find my mistake.
post #6 of 11 Old June 10th, 2018, 04:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Did a valve adj but was not sure of the "notch" referred to in the service book ( for aligning TDC) . I see a notch on the threaded inspection port but not sure that is it.
Is it? Also two indentations (dots) on a metal part the alternator i can see in the inspection port. Anyway, fired it up after using the notch point and it no longer takes 5 minutes for warmup but it does pop slightly out the exhaust a little telling me i didnt quite get it right. The front cylinder valves are a bugger to get to so i am tearing all the plastic off to get better access and hopefully find my mistake.
It doesn't have to be exactly on TDC of the intake stroke just that you should see the TF and the TR in the window...and yes, the notch is in the cast. The "Ts" are laid sideways as I remember but it is very important you be on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke which is 180 out. Yeah..that front is a bitch. Take off the plastics and that front deflector plastic...and I always took off the airbox.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
post #7 of 11 Old June 10th, 2018, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

dont see "TR" on mine. I watch the intakes open then close while rotating counterclockwise then wait for the TF to show in the window at the notch. Trying to take off the shocks to see if that gives the room i need.
post #8 of 11 Old June 10th, 2018, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Shocks off did the trick, better access. Will do a test run in an hour after re-adjusting. I'm tired.
post #9 of 11 Old June 10th, 2018, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Ran 6 minutes or so. Good idle, fast warm up, great acceleration, but sputters a little in the lower rpm's. Maybe i have an electrical issue ?
post #10 of 11 Old June 11th, 2018, 12:10 AM

Garage
Maybe. TF stands for Timing Front and TR stands for Timing Rear. So when doing the front cylinder you will use TF...and rear..TR

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki Brute Forum > Brute Forums > Brute Talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Brute Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode