Cut off under water... - Kawasaki Brute Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 26th, 2015, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Cut off under water...

I have a fully snorkeled 07 brute that has been fully rebuilt and cammed. This past weekend I rode all day and right before leaving I went racks deep and it sputtered until it died. I have the bowl drains blocked off and the side vent lines off of the carbs ran up one snorkel. I checked the air box and belt box, all dry. Some water did get in it through the exhaust but I flushed the engine 6 times to get all the residue out and she is good to go now. Should I vent the two little nipples on the bottom of the carbs beside the bowl drains or anyone have any idea of what happened?

Thanks in advance guys

"Ride it like you stole it"

07 Brute 750i
Stage 2 Cams
Head Work
Full Muzzy
Moose Programmer
2" Lift
30 Backs on 14 ITP 212s
Snorkeled
Full Skid Plates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 26th, 2015, 09:35 PM

My 05 750 is snorkeled , and I cannot pinch off the carb drains without having the engine bog down when the carb is over full. I took a Tropicanna Orange juice bottle, drilled a hole in the lid to slide the carb overflow tube into it. I then discovered that when that bottle was overfill, the engine would bog out. I then added another hole to the lid of the catch bottle , installed weed wacker sized fuel line from the upper 1/4 of the bottle to the handlebars. Works like a charm. If you drill your holes in the lid right, no water gets in. If it fills with gas, just unscrew the lid, remove the bottle and reuse the gas. You would be surprised of how much gas you lose. I'm sure my floats are set on the higher end, but they work fine. Oh yeah, the carb overflow line should have a one way check valve on the end of it, so water can not seep back up the line to the carbs. If your carb vent lines, on the left side of the carbs, get blocked up, you will stall out too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	4370  

05 Brute 750i Stock engine/Muzzy Pro exhaust,Vision Bruiser 14" wheels, 26" Kenda Bear Claw HTR, 3" intake snorkel w/ restriction,2" CVT snorkels,automotive 10" fan,ASR a-arm bushings,sway bar removed,buss connector mod,rejetted at #40 pilots,2 3/4 out on A/F screws,stock needles shimmed .030",# 160/# 160 main jets Keihin
post #3 of 9 Old May 26th, 2015, 10:47 PM

That is what I love about this forum. I learn new stuff every day. That is some good info right there dman.

'14 AC Wildcat Trail XT - My new ride...
'03 Prairie 650 - BKP 730 kit with 2X trail/race cams, MW oil cooler, DG Snorkle and EHS air box lid, Twin Air proflow filter, Rox Risers, Pro Taper bars, Works struts, VFJ Stage 3 spider mod clutch, lightened secondary, Goodyear MT/R's on Douglas Rattlesnakes, full Muzzy - SOLD, but will ALWAYS hold a special place in my heart!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old May 27th, 2015, 07:19 AM

Riding over very rocky terrain at high speeds, is where I found that we lose fuel out the overflow. On a 50 mile ride, I may have to empty that bottle two or three times when the bottle is 3/4 full. Eventually I will pull the carbs and recheck float levels and maybe replace the float needles. I also have the Mr. Gaskets 42s electric fuel pump mod, so with the stock vacuum pump, this May or may not apply. Someone else needs to try this and report their findings on how much fuel they lose while riding.

05 Brute 750i Stock engine/Muzzy Pro exhaust,Vision Bruiser 14" wheels, 26" Kenda Bear Claw HTR, 3" intake snorkel w/ restriction,2" CVT snorkels,automotive 10" fan,ASR a-arm bushings,sway bar removed,buss connector mod,rejetted at #40 pilots,2 3/4 out on A/F screws,stock needles shimmed .030",# 160/# 160 main jets Keihin
post #5 of 9 Old May 27th, 2015, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! I'll give that a try tonight! Also if I put my hand over my exhaust for even a few seconds it cuts off just like it did in the water. Is there a chance the water pressure cut my engine off?

07 Brute 750i
Stage 2 Cams
Head Work
Full Muzzy
Moose Programmer
2" Lift
30 Backs on 14 ITP 212s
Snorkeled
Full Skid Plates
post #6 of 9 Old May 27th, 2015, 09:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmanm10 View Post
Thanks for the reply! I'll give that a try tonight! Also if I put my hand over my exhaust for even a few seconds it cuts off just like it did in the water. Is there a chance the water pressure cut my engine off?
Never heard of static water pressure being enough to kill an engine.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
post #7 of 9 Old May 27th, 2015, 10:39 AM

Depends - How low is the idle? I had my brute idling in water, exhaust submerged for about 1/2 hour to 40 minutes - I turned up the idle when I realized I could not get out due to a broken axle and wheel fell off. Best of all, I found out the only place that took on a little water was the rear diff - and I mean very little bit of water.

post #8 of 9 Old May 27th, 2015, 10:40 AM

If the carb vents saw any water, it could have snuffed out the engine.Backing up in deep water could sometimes snuff out the engine.

post #9 of 9 Old May 27th, 2015, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

It's idling low and lopes some because of the cams but I've idled it up some but I haven't had it back in deep water yet. I may run a exhaust snorkel off of the muzzy just in case and run the nipple of the bottom of the carbs to my vent line snorkel. Just to make sure I have it all covered

07 Brute 750i
Stage 2 Cams
Head Work
Full Muzzy
Moose Programmer
2" Lift
30 Backs on 14 ITP 212s
Snorkeled
Full Skid Plates

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki Brute Forum > Brute Forums > Brute Snorkeling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Brute Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode