New member with big problem - Kawasaki Brute Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old January 20th, 2020, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

New member with big problem

Greetings, when I purchased my home I took up an offer from the previous owner to purchase the 09 BF 650 that he had. With all of the stuff going on I didn't have time to do anything to it until late spring of last year. I had great difficulty getting it to start but finally did, after shutting it off I found the coolant had leaked into the engine oil, from my automotive knowledge I suspected a blown head gasket. My brother has a friend that has done major work to his quad and we transported it to him for repairs.

He did discover that a head gasket had failed and evidence of overheating in the past. He gather the necessary parts and commenced on repairs. He said that after getting it started he could detect internal engine noises and recommended replacement of the engine bearings which I approved. These repairs were completed he claimed, and I tried to get it back from him. Well, for reasons I will leave out of this that didn't happen, I was finally able to get it back to my house a week ago. When I went to pick it up I found that nothing happened when I turned the key on, no lights on the cluster and no power for the winch, my planned method to get it into the back of the truck I was using. So, a come a long was used, when I got it home I discovered the starter relay was missing, a quick search on Google led me to a replacement. I connected the replacement relay and was only getting a single click when the starter button was depressed. I tried the pull start and discovered I couldn't pull the rope at all. So, it now appears the engine may be seized. If I put it in gear and push it, I can move it, I'm not sure that this is a valid test to see if the engine will spin given the transmission and belt system.

The guy that did the previous "repairs" has disappeared so the saying if the deal is to good to be true it probably is. So I am now looking for a facility to take it to for engine repairs. I live in the Long Valley area in NJ and my office is in the Bridgewater area. Could someone share with me recommendations for a shop that does good work in this area? Thanks in advance for any help. One more thing I am looking for is the rubber boot that is placed on the starter relay to hold it in place, the new relay did not come with one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old January 20th, 2020, 01:28 PM

Garage
Wow you sure got F'ed on that deal. Sorry to hear. Seems like this is happening way too often these days. There is a light at the end of the tunnel though...all you need is an honest shop. I don't know of any in your area but if you have the ability to R&R the engine, I recommend nFlow do your rebuild. Honest people, flawless work, solid warranty. It just doesn't leave their shop unless it's right.

Here's a link: https://www.nflowmotorsports.com/

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
post #3 of 7 Old January 20th, 2020, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I sure did, I have $580 invested in it so far as that is what he had charged me for the work. Given my brothers past experience as well as other friends of his I didn't hesitate at all, but as with everything all good things come to an end.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will look into them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old January 20th, 2020, 04:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09BruteForce View Post
Yes, I sure did, I have $580 invested in it so far as that is what he had charged me for the work. Given my brothers past experience as well as other friends of his I didn't hesitate at all, but as with everything all good things come to an end.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will look into them.
Well, 580-bucks parts and labor isn't going to get you much anyway..still a loss is a loss.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
post #5 of 7 Old February 5th, 2020, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Well, it's fatal, he did not correctly set the valve timing on one cylinder and I have a cracked head, bent valves, and no doubt a bent connecting rod. Not much around here for used motors, so I'm forced to get rid of this one in it's current state or purchase a reman engine. I took a look the nFlow web site and the information they offer and then took a look at Power Sports Nation. There is a $600 difference in price between these two vendors. I looked and found the reviews for PSN were 4.9 out of 5. Opinions out there on these two?
post #6 of 7 Old February 14th, 2020, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

I thought I would share a picture of the damage my cylinder head sustained due to the incorrect of the valve timing. They said that the timing was off by four teeth. This had overheated and the coolant had made its way into the crankcase. The guy who did the initial repairs said he had taken care of the head and was using MLS gaskets so there would be further issues. Looking at the head it certainly appears it was already leaking coolant given the deposits already in the chamber around the perimeter of the well. The one picture is from the guy that worked on it, showing me how he had cleaned up the head, he did go back and work to remove the deposits in the coolant passages after this photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BruteForce Head 2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	6745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bruteforce Head 3.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	6747  
post #7 of 7 Old February 14th, 2020, 12:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09BruteForce View Post
I thought I would share a picture of the damage my cylinder head sustained due to the incorrect of the valve timing. They said that the timing was off by four teeth. This had overheated and the coolant had made its way into the crankcase. The guy who did the initial repairs said he had taken care of the head and was using MLS gaskets so there would be further issues. Looking at the head it certainly appears it was already leaking coolant given the deposits already in the chamber around the perimeter of the well. The one picture is from the guy that worked on it, showing me how he had cleaned up the head, he did go back and work to remove the deposits in the coolant passages after this photo.
Interesting as it only takes two teeth off for the piston to hit the valves and bend/brake them. Still, looks like he cleaned it up well.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki Brute Forum > Brute Forums > Brute Engine & Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Brute Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode