Oil in exhaust Help please - Kawasaki Brute Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old December 11th, 2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Oil in exhaust Help please

11 Brute 750 was smokin quite a bit and missing real bad. Pulled rear plug and it was loaded with oil sludge. Pulled exh pipe and found oil residue. Figured it was bad valve seals. Replaced all 4 seals on the rear cyl. Used pro x seals. Re assembled and still getting lots of smoke and oil on the plug. I didnít pull the head to put new seals in. Any advice? I canít figure out how to post a pic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old December 11th, 2019, 07:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyairplane View Post
11 Brute 750 was smokin quite a bit and missing real bad. Pulled rear plug and it was loaded with oil sludge. Pulled exh pipe and found oil residue. Figured it was bad valve seals. Replaced all 4 seals on the rear cyl. Used pro x seals. Re assembled and still getting lots of smoke and oil on the plug. I didnít pull the head to put new seals in. Any advice? I canít figure out how to post a pic.

Well if it's not the valve seals it has to be rings or piston. Do a leak-down and compression test to see. Unless what you think is oil is actually coolant...and if so it's probably a blown head gasket.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
post #3 of 23 Old December 11th, 2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I’ll try a leak down and see what happens. Oil level was low. Coolant level hasn’t dropped.
Any idea what a compression test should normally be? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old December 12th, 2019, 10:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Yeah Iíll try a leak down and see what happens. Oil level was low. Coolant level hasnít dropped.
Any idea what a compression test should normally be? Thanks!
Book says with the compression releases working correctly. both plugs out and using the starter cranking at 300RPMs it should be in the 66psi area but I have seen then closer to 80 on a good engine. Below 40 is a problem.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
post #5 of 23 Old December 12th, 2019, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=NMKAWIERIDER;194063]Book says with the compression releases working correctly. both plugs out and using the starter cranking at 300RPMs it should be in the 66psi area but I have seen then closer to 80 on a good engine. Below 40 is a problem.[/QUOTE

cool. Thank for the info! whats a good "reasonable" source for cyl and head repair?
post #6 of 23 Old December 13th, 2019, 10:34 AM

Garage
[quote=Mikeyairplane;194065]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMKAWIERIDER View Post
Book says with the compression releases working correctly. both plugs out and using the starter cranking at 300RPMs it should be in the 66psi area but I have seen then closer to 80 on a good engine. Below 40 is a problem.[/QUOTE

cool. Thank for the info! whats a good "reasonable" source for cyl and head repair?

I get all my parts from Cheapcycleparts.com

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
post #7 of 23 Old December 14th, 2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Ok, now Iím really confused. 90 psi on compression test. Leak down test holds 45-50 psi with no leakage anywhere??!! With a breaker bar I moved piston up and down a bit with air in cyl - nothing!
post #8 of 23 Old December 14th, 2019, 01:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Ok, now Iím really confused. 90 psi on compression test. Leak down test holds 45-50 psi with no leakage anywhere??!! With a breaker bar I moved piston up and down a bit with air in cyl - nothing!

So on TDC, no air leaked out of either the intake valves or exhaust valves and only minimal through the rings..ie with the dip stick out just some minor sound..right? Have you checked under...or inside the air filter where the crankcase vent is to see if there is any sign of oil tracking down to the intake? That usually goes to the front cylinder though.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
post #9 of 23 Old December 14th, 2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Yeah. Tdc is completely silent thru intake and exh. No trace of oil in air box or throttle bodies. Oil level was low. I did leak down again with 75 psi and there is air in the crankcase. Not a lot. But a hissing. Pulled rad cap also, no bubbles. Guess Iím gonna pull the cyl and have a look. Little frustrating knowing there is no real suspect. Maybe a small score in the cyl wall??
post #10 of 23 Old December 14th, 2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Pulled head. Nothing abnormal. Top of piston is clean. Valves have just a little build up, nothing major. Cyl wall is smooth as can be. Guess Iíll keep going and pull cyl, see if a ring is cracked?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki Brute Forum > Brute Forums > Brute Engine & Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Brute Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode