2011 Brute Blowing Oil Out Timing Inspection Plug - Kawasaki Brute Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old September 9th, 2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

2011 Brute Blowing Oil Out Timing Inspection Plug

I've got a pretty good feeling that this isn't going to be a simple fix.

I went to check the timing on my 2011 Brute 750 and it is blowing oil out the timing inspection hole.

Bought it used a few years ago. No mods of any kind, all stock. I'm not a mudder. This unit is a cow chaser.

I don't have a compression tester so I'm not sure what the compression is. Had it running Saturday after chasing many no start gremlins for several weeks. Ran decent but not perfect. When it was warmed up I could shut if off, hit the start button and it would fire right back up. Was cranky to start cold so I adjusted valves thinking this might help. Rechecked my valve work 3 times to make sure I was TDC as per the manual. Never started after my valve job but had good spark and fuel. Intake set at .005" and exhaust at .008" clearance.

I'm getting tired of wrenching on this thing. Give me the bad news doc, I think I'm ready.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old September 10th, 2019, 09:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
I've got a pretty good feeling that this isn't going to be a simple fix.

I went to check the timing on my 2011 Brute 750 and it is blowing oil out the timing inspection hole.

Bought it used a few years ago. No mods of any kind, all stock. I'm not a mudder. This unit is a cow chaser.

I don't have a compression tester so I'm not sure what the compression is. Had it running Saturday after chasing many no start gremlins for several weeks. Ran decent but not perfect. When it was warmed up I could shut if off, hit the start button and it would fire right back up. Was cranky to start cold so I adjusted valves thinking this might help. Rechecked my valve work 3 times to make sure I was TDC as per the manual. Never started after my valve job but had good spark and fuel. Intake set at .005" and exhaust at .008" clearance.

I'm getting tired of wrenching on this thing. Give me the bad news doc, I think I'm ready.

That inspection port wasn't meant to be open when running. Only to line up the TR and TF marks when doing lash settings. It.. and the dip stick will do the same thing if open while running. Even on a brand new engine oil will blast out of there so..it's normal. Where you need to be concerned is the amount of flow out the crank case vent tube. Even it will have a little normally but the more the rings wear and valve guides, the more it will have. Of course a cracked piston or broken rings will make it blast out like nobody's business.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
post #3 of 6 Old September 10th, 2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Well... that seems odd since the manual says; remove the plug, attach your timing light, aim it at the timing mark, run the engine at 1100, 5000 rpm.

Yet no warning that says "Oh by the way you won't see a bleeping thing with you timing light because you're gonna have oil blasting in your face"

Just doesn't add up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brute Timing Test.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	6687  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old September 11th, 2019, 08:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
Well... that seems odd since the manual says; remove the plug, attach your timing light, aim it at the timing mark, run the engine at 1100, 5000 rpm.

Yet no warning that says "Oh by the way you won't see a bleeping thing with you timing light because you're gonna have oil blasting in your face"

Just doesn't add up.
Yep...that's life. Well, that page is out of the 2005-2007 service manual. I think they move it to 16-41 in the 2008-2011's. It's messy..just no getting around that. Of course the more blow-by you have...the worse it will be.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube

Last edited by NMKAWIERIDER; September 11th, 2019 at 09:12 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old September 11th, 2019, 12:50 PM

I dont't know anyone that has used a timing light on their Brute. U really should not need it.
In the picture u provided from the manual, it looks like they have the timing light pressed firmly to the inspection hole.

05 Brute 750i Stock engine/Muzzy Pro exhaust,Vision Bruiser 14" wheels, 26" Kenda Bear Claw HTR, 3" intake snorkel w/ restriction,2" CVT snorkels,automotive 10" fan,ASR a-arm bushings,sway bar removed,buss connector mod,rejetted at #40 pilots,2 3/4 out on A/F screws,stock needles shimmed .030",# 160/# 160 main jets Keihin
post #6 of 6 Old September 11th, 2019, 08:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman66 View Post
I dont't know anyone that has used a timing light on their Brute. U really should not need it.
In the picture u provided from the manual, it looks like they have the timing light pressed firmly to the inspection hole.
Hmm...maybe that special timing light is one of those that you look through and press onto the hole.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki Brute Forum > Brute Forums > Brute Engine & Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Brute Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in