07 650i 5000 mi advice on where to send valve bodies - Kawasaki Brute Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old November 24th, 2018, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

07 650i 5000 mi advice on where to send valve bodies

My 650 was blowing by the rings so bad that it was spaying oil mist out the dipstick and routinely spraying into the airbox. The compression (cold... i know) was approx. 40 psi on both. Pressure tests (at 65 psi) in each cylinder at TDC showed no audible leaks on the front int and exh, only hissing out thru the dipstick. The rear cylinder at TDC had air hissing out the carb and dipstick.

I've got the top end apart (don't have enough money right now to throw at a true rebuild) but will lightly hone and new stock rings. I would like to send the valve bodies to a shop to have them inspected, new guides, seals etc.

Any help appreciated!
Bob

2007 BF 650i; Bigger jets, EPI springs, HMF muffler, K&N Air, CDI, engine brake override, reverse 4WD override, EPS just added. 26's just added.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old November 24th, 2018, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

also, was wondering if these heads can be decked by say 10 or 20 thousands without interference trouble?

2007 BF 650i; Bigger jets, EPI springs, HMF muffler, K&N Air, CDI, engine brake override, reverse 4WD override, EPS just added. 26's just added.
post #3 of 12 Old November 24th, 2018, 11:46 AM

Garage
The one clearly needs a valve job but might as well do both. Your dealer's shop should be able to do them. Check your ring gaps is several positions on the cylinders. You might find they need boring to correct the blow-by. And not 20 thousands but 10 and less on decking is possible. There's only about 18 thousands clearance between piston and valves during overlap as I recall.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old November 24th, 2018, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

thanks for advice. i have a question on the ring gap. i'll take the new rings and check them in the bore for end gap. Are you saying i may need to bore the cylinders because the end gap will be too big, which is causing blow bye?
If I bore them they'll need to be treated/coating - correct?

post #5 of 12 Old November 24th, 2018, 10:11 PM

Garage
You can tell how warn the cylinder is by checking the end gap in several places. If it is outside the usable range then it will need boring, re-plating, and the correct rings and pistons.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
post #6 of 12 Old November 26th, 2018, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMKAWIERIDER View Post
You can tell how warn the cylinder is by checking the end gap in several places. If it is outside the usable range then it will need boring, re-plating, and the correct rings and pistons.
OK, that's what I thought.
I had our machine shop at work use a bore gauge and measure as per the book.
Front cylinder was very uniform at 3.153" which the book says is the service limit.
Rear cylinder was also uniform at 3.1515.

So now my question is, what is the most cost effective fix? Do I find a place that can bore and re-plate? or get another set of cylinders?

Thanks again for advice.

post #7 of 12 Old November 26th, 2018, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

bigger rings vs. bore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlangell View Post
OK, that's what I thought.
I had our machine shop at work use a bore gauge and measure as per the book.
Front cylinder was very uniform at 3.153" which the book says is the service limit.
Rear cylinder was also uniform at 3.1515.

So now my question is, what is the most cost effective fix? Do I find a place that can bore and re-plate? or get another set of cylinders?

Thanks again for advice.
I'm looking at options to get my quad's compression back. Since i'm right at the service limit of bore size, but my cylinders look good honed, does it make sense to measure the piston ring grooves diameters, with the bores, and determine a piston ring size. Say 15 thou over?

post #8 of 12 Old November 26th, 2018, 06:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlangell View Post
I'm looking at options to get my quad's compression back. Since i'm right at the service limit of bore size, but my cylinders look good honed, does it make sense to measure the piston ring grooves diameters, with the bores, and determine a piston ring size. Say 15 thou over?
Screw it- if they are that good just drop a set of stock rings in it. Be careful with the honing though...go easy. That plated material isn't very thick and its lost some already.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
post #9 of 12 Old November 27th, 2018, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMKAWIERIDER View Post
Screw it- if they are that good just drop a set of stock rings in it. Be careful with the honing though...go easy. That plated material isn't very thick and its lost some already.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. My bore/hone measured up pretty good-very little variation. I tried to go easy on the hone. I'm going to use stock pistons again but I've ordered 0.010 oversize rings. My plan is to grind the correct end gap for each of the four rings plus make sure the oil ring is set. I'll check the compression and report back.
I've dropped the valve bodies of at local quad shop for testing/measuring/re-building as required.

post #10 of 12 Old December 5th, 2018, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

update. measured current ring gaps and all were out of spec. I got a set of 0.010 over rings and ground each one to middle of spec. Valve bodies were unfortunately shot, local shop sent them out for machining and rebuild. hopefully have it back together this weekend with new compression values. Decided not to mess with decking the jugs, keep it stock.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki Brute Forum > Brute Forums > Brute Engine & Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Brute Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode