Possible stretched chains - Kawasaki Brute Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old November 15th, 2018, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Possible stretched chains

Hey guys, getting a ticking noise from what sounds like the front cylinder exhaust valve area, Seems like a power loss as well. Anyhow I tore everything down, springs and valves look fine, nothing bent broken or burnt, springs compress with the same amount of resistance. Checked the clearances with on the valves before taking apart and are mid range in spec where they should be on intake and exhaust. Piston looks fine, rings and compression is in upper 30s so within spec. Exhaust pipes are tight and gasket looked fine when I took it off. Cams look fine, both cams have same amount of spring action and the lobes don't look worn or scarred of discolored. Rocker arms look fine as well. There were no loose bolts anywhere when taking it apart. Tensioner arms only had about 8 clicks until it was fully out of the body tho and at the point where the spring was fully extended and the inside pin was flush with the back of the body. Seems to me like it was fully extended anyhow if it was that far out and no spring action left. The guides all look fine by visually checking them. Before taking the chains off the seems like they had some play in the, more to the chain for the pump and main coming off the crank and not so much the cam chains but the came chain tensioners were extended to the same point as well. Bike fires up and runs good at an idle but when revving it up you hear the tick is constant, you can hear the tick as well at an idle but it isn't always there unless you give it some throttle. To me it seems like chains, just wondering anyones thoughts or other things to check before I go ahead and order some new ones today. Thanks for anyones input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old November 15th, 2018, 03:13 PM

Garage
Well, from what you said about the chains, all are bad and need replaced so..at least do all the chains and while there do all the bars and cam sprockets. If all the rest looks OK, then that should get it. Also, bad or warn shoes on the primary make a clicking sound at low RPMs but tend to go away in higher.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
post #3 of 6 Old November 15th, 2018, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMKAWIERIDER View Post
Well, from what you said about the chains, all are bad and need replaced so..at least do all the chains and while there do all the bars and cam sprockets. If all the rest looks OK, then that should get it. Also, bad or warn shoes on the primary make a clicking sound at low RPMs but tend to go away in higher.

Thanks for the advice, the noise increases with throttle so can rule out the primary then. Figure do the cam sprockets as well? just from your experience as well the stretched chains could give a bit of power loss? Im sure its the chains just looking for any additional advice for while im in there or things to check I might be overlooking anyhow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old November 15th, 2018, 05:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblair26 View Post
Thanks for the advice, the noise increases with throttle so can rule out the primary then. Figure do the cam sprockets as well? just from your experience as well the stretched chains could give a bit of power loss? Im sure its the chains just looking for any additional advice for while im in there or things to check I might be overlooking anyhow.
Yes, people forget even a slight change in valve timing can be felt. With these not only do you have the retardation from the cam chains but also the the intermediate chain as well. Several degrees in total can be attributed to stretched chains. Yes, the cam sprockets are warn too..and they won't match well with the new chains so always replace those as well. The crank's sprockets are more hardened and...we don't usually worry about those. Sense you have the heads off, gram the primary in several positions, meaning TDC, BDC and half way up and down each stroke, wiggle it back and forward just as little as you can and with your senses greatly heightened and eyes on the pistons, see if you can detect any play in the rod bearings. You should not sense, see or feel any.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
post #5 of 6 Old November 16th, 2018, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMKAWIERIDER View Post
Yes, people forget even a slight change in valve timing can be felt. With these not only do you have the retardation from the cam chains but also the the intermediate chain as well. Several degrees in total can be attributed to stretched chains. Yes, the cam sprockets are warn too..and they won't match well with the new chains so always replace those as well. The crank's sprockets are more hardened and...we don't usually worry about those. Sense you have the heads off, gram the primary in several positions, meaning TDC, BDC and half way up and down each stroke, wiggle it back and forward just as little as you can and with your senses greatly heightened and eyes on the pistons, see if you can detect any play in the rod bearings. You should not sense, see or feel any.
Checked rod bearings and everything looks fine, thanks for the pointers. Ill swap the cam sprockets and chains and go from there. Having trouble finding a place that has them all in one shot tho. Looked at Bike Bandit but they're over a week to get here. might look around in the City an hour south and go from there.
post #6 of 6 Old November 16th, 2018, 04:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblair26 View Post
Checked rod bearings and everything looks fine, thanks for the pointers. Ill swap the cam sprockets and chains and go from there. Having trouble finding a place that has them all in one shot tho. Looked at Bike Bandit but they're over a week to get here. might look around in the City an hour south and go from there.
I always had good luck with cheapcycleparts.com

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki Brute Forum > Brute Forums > Brute Engine & Drivetrain

Tags
chains, stretched chains, ticking noise, timing chains

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Brute Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode