How much force to remove drive pulley? - Kawasaki Brute Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old October 10th, 2018, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

How much force to remove drive pulley?

Working on the Brute as usual. Tried to remove the drive pulley with the puller tool and applied approx 200 foot pounds of force, didnt budge. Scared to blast it with more. Tapped on it while under pressure also but nothing. Putting on a new belt so i need to get to the shims. Since the pulley wouldnt come off, i popped the belt on like a bicycle chain. But its too loose and needs adjustment. How much force is needed ??

Oops, looks like the shims are in the DRIVEN pulley. Probably need another tool ( puller) Shazbot !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old October 10th, 2018, 08:04 PM

Garage
You MUST apply a good grease to the tip and threads of the puller..not much but a small dab. Otherwise the puller's end will seize against the end of the hole in the crank and not rotate. And if it won't rotate the threads are not applying additional force to the hub...so it won't move or worse..it will break off in the clutch...then your F'ed.

The torque is either 69 or 68 ftlbs depending on the year. It usually takes about 72 to release it. Make sure the crank end and the clutch hub is cleaned with something that leaves no residue..like acetone before reinstalling it....and make sure you use a torque wrench and set it exactly per the manual. If not you will have issues.

No puller needed for the driven/secondary clutch. 22-27mm is the deflection range, your target is 22-24mm deflection. Measure it first. The thinnest shim will make a big difference.

This will help:

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
post #3 of 6 Old October 10th, 2018, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks NMKAWIERIDER . You do need the pulley holder but i made one. I will post a pic of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old October 11th, 2018, 10:17 AM

Garage
I made one too at first but saw someone use a 1/2" extension between a post and the floorboard on top of a support. Did that from then on. Worked just fine.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
post #5 of 6 Old October 13th, 2018, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Tried the puller again and this time it worked. Came off with a bang! So i changed the belt and took out the two shims on the driven pulley. Alot better throttle response and the electric brake works WAY better. Deflection is now within range of spec. The belt does squeal a little when stopped in gear. I think it should stop after some riding and the belt settles in. Otherwise i will need to put one shim back in.
post #6 of 6 Old October 13th, 2018, 01:58 PM

Garage
If it's under 22mms it will squeal. If it's hard to put in gear from neutral or it tries to creep when in gear, it's way under 22mm. If it doesn't stop soon, consider adding the thin one back in.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
The Following User Says Thank You to NMKAWIERIDER For This Useful Post:
750Cowboy (October 14th, 2018)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki Brute Forum > Brute Forums > Brute Engine & Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Brute Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode