Fan Problem - Kawasaki Brute Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old August 9th, 2019, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Fan Problem

Hi,

I've complained about cooling issues with my brute before. I don't think there is anything that was wrong, I just had to learn to either stay out of the mud or do a better job of cleaning the radiator when I do jump in those holes!

So my problem right now is the fan not working automatically.

(sorry if this turns into a long post)

Went mudding when it was still new. I think that did a number on the fan. It never did sound normal after that mud ride. So I've been having a few over-heating bouts since then, that were mostly caused by plugged radiator. Then I installed a temperature gauge so I could keep an eye on the temp.

What I have come to expect, in hot weather, the fan can't quite keep up. I began anticipating the fan was going bad because I knew the radiator was clean. Then a couple weeks ago, it started tripping the breaker, the fan was cycling on and off.

I hot wired the fan to a switch and the accessory circuit to get by, bypassing the breaker and solenoid altogether. That got me by for a little while, then it blew the acc. fuse. So now I knew I definitely had a fan problem. I bought an All Balls aftermarket fan for it. WOW, this fan moves a LOT more air and it is quiet. The old fan was rattling and wobbling.

So, now I try to put it back to stock wiring and it won't come on. I've replaced the solenoid and breaker. The solenoid terminals are getting power but it doesn't seem to be getting a signal to power up the fan.

I have a replacement temp sensor that goes in the head. But here is my question:

Is this sensor really bad? The warning light is still working. Is this the same sensor that tells the warning light to come on? If the light is still working and it is the same sensor, shouldn't the solenoid be getting the correct signal to turn the fan on? Is there a different sensor that runs the warning light? I just figured I'd ask before I drain the coolant to change this sensor. I'm getting worried that somehow I might have an ECU problem.

The fan is working fine on the switch now, but I've forgotten to flip it on and got it hot again. Would like to get it working auto like is should.

------

Did I accidentally mess up the ECU when I was jumping solenoid terminals trying to figure out what terminals did what? As I type this message, I'm wondering.... I might have fried it myself.

Thanks for listening (reading!)
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old August 9th, 2019, 02:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daver913 View Post
Hi,

I've complained about cooling issues with my brute before. I don't think there is anything that was wrong, I just had to learn to either stay out of the mud or do a better job of cleaning the radiator when I do jump in those holes!

So my problem right now is the fan not working automatically.

(sorry if this turns into a long post)

Went mudding when it was still new. I think that did a number on the fan. It never did sound normal after that mud ride. So I've been having a few over-heating bouts since then, that were mostly caused by plugged radiator. Then I installed a temperature gauge so I could keep an eye on the temp.

What I have come to expect, in hot weather, the fan can't quite keep up. I began anticipating the fan was going bad because I knew the radiator was clean. Then a couple weeks ago, it started tripping the breaker, the fan was cycling on and off.

I hot wired the fan to a switch and the accessory circuit to get by, bypassing the breaker and solenoid altogether. That got me by for a little while, then it blew the acc. fuse. So now I knew I definitely had a fan problem. I bought an All Balls aftermarket fan for it. WOW, this fan moves a LOT more air and it is quiet. The old fan was rattling and wobbling.

So, now I try to put it back to stock wiring and it won't come on. I've replaced the solenoid and breaker. The solenoid terminals are getting power but it doesn't seem to be getting a signal to power up the fan.

I have a replacement temp sensor that goes in the head. But here is my question:

Is this sensor really bad? The warning light is still working. Is this the same sensor that tells the warning light to come on? If the light is still working and it is the same sensor, shouldn't the solenoid be getting the correct signal to turn the fan on? Is there a different sensor that runs the warning light? I just figured I'd ask before I drain the coolant to change this sensor. I'm getting worried that somehow I might have an ECU problem.

The fan is working fine on the switch now, but I've forgotten to flip it on and got it hot again. Would like to get it working auto like is should.

------

Did I accidentally mess up the ECU when I was jumping solenoid terminals trying to figure out what terminals did what? As I type this message, I'm wondering.... I might have fried it myself.

Thanks for listening (reading!)
Dave
What year and size Brute are we talking about?. If 2008 or newer you may have damaged the ECU but prior to 2008 the fan switch was on the radiator, not the thermostat housing where the HOT light sensor was.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
post #3 of 5 Old August 9th, 2019, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

It is a 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old August 9th, 2019, 03:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daver913 View Post
It is a 2018
Then if you have confirmed that the auto-breaker, which I think now is under the front plastics, is working correctly, and all the rest is wired correctly, those have their relay ground-triggered by the ECU and that is determined by the coolant temp sensor. The ECU also triggeres the HOT light when it goes above a certain level. You need to manually trigger the relay to ensure it's still working as it was powering a failing fan motor and could have been toasted. I don't have a service manual for the 15+s but I do have one for the 12-14s which will be the same in many cases if you need one.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
post #5 of 5 Old August 10th, 2019, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. This is kind of what I thought. The warning light is definitely working, so the temp sensor must be working. The ECU just isn't sending a signal to the relay. I'll check it out later today.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki Brute Forum > Brute Forums > Brute Chassis & Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Brute Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode