Installing a Key-Switched Power bus - Kawasaki Brute Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old June 30th, 2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Vjm

Garage
Installing a Key-Switched Power bus

On my 05 750 brute, I have several accessories that I want to tie into key-switched power:
LED Lights
Winch
Boom Sprayer
Spreader

Often I wanted but was unable to use multiple devices at the same time.

Simply feeding off the aux power port is not an option due to power requirements.

I currently have a 2-wire plug that I use to share the battery connector.

I was thinking of adding a "weather proof" busbar with a fused connection from the battery through a relay powered by the aux power port or preferably the source of its power.

Questions:
1) Is this something that's doable?
2) Has anyone done this before and may have a schematic/parts list? I tried searching with no luck.
3) From a safety perspective: good idea? bad idea?

05 750i (Camo)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old June 30th, 2019, 04:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vjm View Post
On my 05 750 brute, I have several accessories that I want to tie into key-switched power:
LED Lights
Winch
Boom Sprayer
Spreader

Often I wanted but was unable to use multiple devices at the same time.

Simply feeding off the aux power port is not an option due to power requirements.

I currently have a 2-wire plug that I use to share the battery connector.

I was thinking of adding a "weather proof" busbar with a fused connection from the battery through a relay powered by the aux power port or preferably the source of its power.

Questions:
1) Is this something that's doable?
2) Has anyone done this before and may have a schematic/parts list? I tried searching with no luck.
3) From a safety perspective: good idea? bad idea?

Some answers:
1- Yes, it is doable however consider the power requirement of the items you are going to power with it. For instance your list is fine except for the winch which it's motor pulls far too much power to pull through a 20Amp relay. Controlor power is fine however. And consider your stator only had about 12 more amps it can give to power extra things. You will find that's why the accessory plug is fused with a 10amp fuse. There just is no more then that to give.

2- Yes, many have in one way or another. s the accessory plug is keyed power, just use it to trigger a relay that sends fused power from the battery to an AUX accessory fuse block. from there use simple water proof switches to send power to the extra accessories. Many just mount them in the plastics of the pod. Simple

3- Yes, always a better idea however never forget to main fuse it and individually fuse the loads. Otherwise you will have just created a fire hazard. And always consider everything you install to be water proof or at least water resistant.

15 Z Force 800 EFI
06 BF 750 (SOLD)

My Videos On You Tube
The Following User Says Thank You to NMKAWIERIDER For This Useful Post:
Vjm (June 30th, 2019)
post #3 of 3 Old July 5th, 2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Vjm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMKAWIERIDER View Post
Some answers:
1- Yes, it is doable however consider the power requirement of the items you are going to power with it. For instance your list is fine except for the winch which it's motor pulls far too much power to pull through a 20Amp relay. Controlor power is fine however. And consider your stator only had about 12 more amps it can give to power extra things. You will find that's why the accessory plug is fused with a 10amp fuse. There just is no more then that to give.

2- Yes, many have in one way or another. s the accessory plug is keyed power, just use it to trigger a relay that sends fused power from the battery to an AUX accessory fuse block. from there use simple water proof switches to send power to the extra accessories. Many just mount them in the plastics of the pod. Simple

3- Yes, always a better idea however never forget to main fuse it and individually fuse the loads. Otherwise you will have just created a fire hazard. And always consider everything you install to be water proof or at least water resistant.

Thanksvery much for such a quick answer.

1)I have a Harbor Freight Badlands 2500# winch. I cannot find the max current draw of the thing. Anybody know?

Theonly things that will ever be powered at the same time would be the LED lights+ one other device (pretty much if I need to do any night time winch work), andeven that would be rare. So that shouldbe OK.

2)That's pretty much the plan. I'm tryingto decide between inline fuses and simply using a new fuse block. A new fuse block would be a bit priciersimply because I have fused wires in my parts inventory. But that's not really a gating factor. A fuse block just seems cleaner.

3)Yes, the battery source and all devices will be fused and covered.

05 750i (Camo)

Last edited by NMKAWIERIDER; July 5th, 2019 at 03:32 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki Brute Forum > Brute Forums > Brute Chassis & Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Brute Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode